LTR - Outdoor Products-Amphibian Defense Pack - Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4 5:48 PM
      Hi Richard,

      Thank you for your work on this Test Series. Link to my LTR in the Test Folder and text below.

      Best,
      Mike

      http://tinyurl.com/cmk26tc

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Balch Hill, New Hampshire - 5 mi (8 km) to 950 ft (290 m), 18 F (-8 C) with winds gusting to 30 mph (48 kph), hard packed snow and ice covered rocky trails, Pack weight - 15 lb (6.8 kg)

      Burnt Mountain at Boston Lot Lake, New Hampshire - 10 mi (16 km) to 1000 ft (300 m), 25 F (-4 C) and cloudy, rocky and rooted trails through mostly pine forest covered with 6 in (15 cm) of snow, Pack weight - 15 lb (6.8 kg)

      Moose Mountain (North Peak), New Hampshire - 8 mi (13 km) to 2300 ft (700 m), 17 F (-8 C) and windy gust of 35 mph (56 kph) gust, hard packed snow covered trail with some areas of 6 in (15 cm) drift or ice covered rock. Pack weight - 20 lb (9 kg) with snowshoes carried externally.

      The Pogue, Vermont - 10 mi (16 km) to 1600 ft (480 m), 28 F (-2 C) and calm, cross country skiing on 3 in (8 cm) of fresh snow through hard and soft wood forest. Pack weight - 15 lb (6.8 kg).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The Amphibian has maintained its level of performance. I have comfortably carried loads up to 20 lbs (9 kg) under a variety of conditions and over a variety of terrain. Under all conditions experienced the items held in the Amphibian always stayed dry. When in direct contact with the wet or snow cover ground and even when sat on top of the Amphibian remained waterproof. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2">>

      I continue to like all aspects of the pack that I liked during Field Testing. I continue to be frustrated with the level of use the exterior pockets provide. I was also disappointed to find the adjustable gear loop did not accommodate my snowshoes.

      Unsure of snow levels on the Moose Mountain hike I brought along snowshoes. The two gear loops at the bottom of the pack held the tail of each shoe nicely. However the adjustable loop at the top was not large enough to secure both shoes. I used a piece of nylon webbing (not part of the Amphibian) to lash the shoes to the body of the pack. Ultimately the snowshoes fit securely to pack and stayed in place the entire hike.

      Shortly after Field Testing began I became concerned with one thing. The affect cold temperatures would have on the waterproof TPU coated roll top closure. I envisioned it cracking or not rolling. At temperatures below 20 F (-7 C) the material became slightly harder to roll and did not roll as tight. The coldest temperature I used the pack in was 17 F (-8 C) with a windchill factor of -4 F (-20 C).

      Though I never felt a hip belt was needed, even moving at my fastest pace over rough terrain or falling to the ground while cross country skiing. I cannot stop thinking if a small hipbelt would benefit the Amphibian.

      Post hike examination of the Amphibian following the last outing of the Long-Term period reveals no defects or damage. The minor flaw in the waterproof coating noted in the Initial Report shows no change.

      SUMMARY

      The final round of testing brings me to same conclusion. I enjoy hiking with the Amphibian Weather Defense Pack. The few complainants I can list do not out weigh the complements. The materials and construction stood up to the time on the trails without a flaw. I had no trouble fitting all that I needed with some room to spare (excluding winter travel) into the Amphibian. The Amphibian is a solid little weather proof pack. Oh and Oscar likes the pack too, he likes when we match.

      CONTINUED USE

      I will reach for the Amphibian Pack when day hiking and cross country skiing. I am also considering it for an overnight trip during the warmer months if rain is in the forecast.

      This completes my Long-Term Report. My thanks to Outdoor Products and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test this product.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.