LTR - Gerber Instant Knife - Bob Sanders

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2013
      Hi Jamie,

      Here is my Long Term Report for your review. Thanks for your help with this. Sorry I'm late.

      In the test folder at...http://tinyurl.com/cvnl3gh

      Thanks,
      Bob

      LONG TERM REPORT

      February 28, 2013

      Field Locations and Test Conditions:

      I have continued to carry the knife everyday in my right front pocket. For the unforeseeable future I believe it has found a permanent home there.

      I have completed 4 more day hikes and one quick overnighter to round out this test. The day hikes were in the foothills near Boulder, CO. Elevations ran between 5,000 to 8,000 ft (1,500 to 2400 m) and the temperatures were in the 40's F (4 C). I brought the knife with me every hike and mostly used it to prepare lunch.

      I also took it with me on a 2 day 1 night backpacking trip to Lefthand Reservoir. The weather was pretty nice, sunny with the high around 35 F (2 C) and low was 10 F (-12 C). The knife was mostly used for lunch and dinner prep. Pretty boring trip for knife usage though it did an outstanding job at every task.

      Most of the usage came from just having it with me on a daily basis. I used it for opening packages, trimming things, cleaning my nails, prying open lids and just simple use of a sharp edge. I honestly found more uses on a daily basis then I did while hiking or backpacking.

      Observations:

      My final observations are based on the fact that I really like this knife. I have never before carried a knife with me everyday and now I do. It fits my hand well and I have used it for a multitude of tasks. It made me think about what I did before I had a knife with me on a daily basis. I guess I just made do or found a different tool for the task. I have not sharpened the knife yet and it still seems to have an edge on it. I'm sure it will need a good sharpening eventually.

      The one feature of the knife that I have decided I could really do without is the instant open feature. It is really cool and a fun feature but is really not needed and if it was missing I don't think it would bother me. For me I think a locking feature would have more usage.

      The Gerber Instant Knife has become a daily companion in my front pocket and a nice addition to my hiking/backpacking gear. I will continue to carry it with me on the trail and even though I would not normally carry a knife this heavy, since it rides in my front pocket the weight just becomes a none issue.

      Pros:
      • Combo blade
      • Comfortable in my hand
      Cons:
      • No locking feature

      This concludes the test and I would like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Gerber for the opportunity to test this knife.
    • Jamie D.
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2013
        Thank you Bob. I will get to your edit this weekend.

        jamie d

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Bob <rscreative@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jamie,
        >
        > Here is my Long Term Report for your review. Thanks for your help with this. Sorry I'm late.
        >
        > In the test folder at...http://tinyurl.com/cvnl3gh
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Bob
        >

        > LONG TERM REPORT
        >
        > February 28, 2013
      • Jamie D.
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
          Hi Bob,

          Thanks for sending a copy of the LTR directly to my email. That is helpful. Looks like another test series in the can for you. Well done. I only found a few things for you to fix, upload when you're done.
          My edit, suggestions and comments are marked with ## just below a snip of your words.

          Thanks.
          Jamie D.
          Gerber Instant Knife Monitor
          You - I have continued to carry the knife everyday in my right front pocket.

          ##Edit – I realize it's a bit tedious but will you please use the full product name instead of "the knife" in this sentence since it's the first mention of the gear in this section of the report? Thanks.
          You - I also took it with me on a 2 day 1 night backpacking trip to Lefthand Reservoir.

          ##Edit – seems an appropriate location name for a knife test  Please include the state where the reservoir is located.

          You - I honestly found more uses on a daily basis then I did while hiking or backpacking.

          ##Edit – basic "than" I
          You - I have never before carried a knife with me everyday and now I do.

          ##Edit – "every day"
          You - I will continue to carry it with me on the trail and even though I would not normally carry a knife this heavy, since it rides in my front pocket the weight just becomes a none issue.

          ##Edit – "a non issue"
        • Jamie D.
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
[...]

            ## Edit - Finally, in your IR you mentioned your concern about the "black finish" holding up over time. I did not see a comment in your LTR about this. Please add a quick note about durability.
          • Jamie D.
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2013
              Hi Bob,

              I have one more thing. It's more of a question really. You wrote this in your LTR:
              > For me I think a locking feature would have more usage.

              This is confusing because I thought the knife was equipped with the "thumb plunge lock" which serves to lock the blade in place. Please explain.

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
                Hi Jamie,

                I'm referring to a lock to keep the blade from opening at all.

                Bob

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4, 2013
                  Brilliant Bob. Thank you. Will you please make reference to that in your OR so others wont have the same "duh" moment when reading your report?

                  Thanks again for your work on this series.