LTR Honey Stinger Waffles-Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/agnp548

      HONEY STINGER ORGANIC WAFFLES
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      LTR
      March 05, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.20 kg)

      I have been backpacking for five years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg). I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Trip #1:
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation: 3,000 ft (914 M)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Conditions: sandy desert terrain
      Temperatures: 70 F (21 C)
      Weather: windy

      Trip #2:
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation: 3,000 ft (914 M)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Conditions: sandy desert terrain
      Temperatures: 50-70 F (10-21 C)
      Weather: windy

      Trip #3:
      Location: Big Bear area, California USA
      Elevation: 7,000 ft (2134 M)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Conditions: off trail forest
      Temperatures: 30-60 F (-1 -15C)
      Weather: cold trip hiking in the forest on about 3 inches of snow pack

      Trip #4:
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation: 3,000 ft (914 M)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Conditions: sandy desert terrain
      Temperatures: 30-60 F (-1 -15C)

      Trip #5:
      Location: Big Bear area, California USA
      Elevation: 7,000 ft (2134 M)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Conditions: off trail forest
      Temperature: 30 F (-1 C)
      Weather: cold trip snowshoeing in the forest on about 6 inches of snow pack

      Trip #6:
      Location: Big Bear area, California USA
      Elevation: 7,000 ft (2134 M)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Conditions: off trail forest
      Temperature: 30 F (-1 C)
      Weather: snowing lightly in the forest on about 8 inches of snow pack

      Trip #7:
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation: 3,000 ft (914 M)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Conditions: sandy desert terrain
      Temperature: 30 F (-1 C)
      Weather: cool and slightly breezy

      Trip #8:
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation: 3,000 ft (914 M)
      Trip duration: 5 days, 4 nights
      Conditions: sandy desert terrain
      Temperatures: 50-70 F (10-21 C)
      Weather: windy

      Trip #9:
      Location: San Jacinto Wilderness, California USA
      Elevation: 7000 ft (2134 M)
      Trip duration: showshoe day hike
      Conditions: 12 in (30 CM) of hard pack snow on and off trail
      Temperatures: 40 F (4 C)
      Weather: beautiful sunny day

      Trip 10:
      Location: Big Bear area, California USA
      Elevation: 7,000 ft (2134 m)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Conditions: off trail forest
      Temperatures: 30-60 F (-1 -15 C)
      Weather: cold snowshoe hiking in the forest on about 6 inches of snow pack

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      The waffles continued to be an enjoyable and tasty snack between meals and for dessert. I especially liked the chocolate flavor which was a special treat after a long day on the trail. I usually carried one waffle in my pocket so it was warm and soft. The waffles held up well during transit in a pocket or in my food bag. They became crumbly and broken when I carried them for three or more days on the longer trips, but they still tasted good.

      I saved a chocolate waffle for the last day of the 5-day Joshua Tree trip after we returned to the car. It was warm and soft from being in my pocket all day. I think the filling was a little more gooey than usual or maybe I was just a little more tired than usual.

      I found the waffles to be hard and chewy in the colder temperatures. The change in temperature did not affect the taste. I enjoyed the waffles as an afternoon snack on a showshoe hike in the Big Bear mountains.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "snowshoe day hike">>

      SUMMARY

      I really enjoyed this test. I had been looking at the waffles in my local outdoor gear store and was curious about them. While the chocolate was my favorite, the honey and lemon flavors were nice alternatives.

      This test series is now concluded. Thank you to Honey Stinger Waffles and BackpackGeartest.org for allowing me to participate in this testing opportunity.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.