APPLICATION--Cascade LuxuryLite Cot -- STEVEN KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24 7:05 PM
      1. Please accept my application to test the Cascade LuxuryLite Cot. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609, including Chapter 5 and 6, and agree to comply with all requirements. My Tester Agreement is on file.

      2. NAME: Steven M. Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 40
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee, USA
      GENDER: Male
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 176 lb (85 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for nearly 30 years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties, while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). I now average less than 20 lbs (9 kg) in the backcountry.

      3. Test Plan: Cutting base weight led me to hammock camping several years ago, but it was comfort that left me there. I've been a hammocker ever since, but two things intrigue me about this cot. A) I've never met a Cascade Designs product I didn't like and B) I'm interested in taking this cot not only base/car camping, but also to use in the backcountry in conjunction with some of my hammock camping items.

      Although the cot is under 3 lbs, I'd see myself leaving a tent at home and using a piece of Tyvek under it and either a cuben fiber or spinnaker tarp above. Although we don't compare products against one another, I'd certainly like to see how this compares to the cold-hard ground and certainly to the comfort of hanging that I've come accustomed to of late. Can I really set it up in under three minutes? How compact will it pack & repack? Will this reasonably light product hold up to repeated use and stress loads without damage? I'm very excited about the possibility of testing this cot. This comes from a tester that has allowed several excellent `ground based' tests come and go as I've become so infatuated with `hanging' in the last few years. Give me the opportunity to test the LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot and I may have to stop calling ground dwellers, troglodytes as I'll be rejoining them for this series!

      4. Test Status Page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1880.htm -- Current Test Load: Montbell Highland, FR Due 19 Mar 2013; Coldpruf Eco-Terra Base layer, FR Due 19 Mar 2013

      5. OR's Completed in Last Year: 4-----Previous Tests/OR's: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ftroop94

      6. Outstanding applications: None

      7. BGT Roles: Monitor

      Thanks for considering my application. Steve Kidd – 02-24-13