Application - Cascade LuxuryLite Cot - Lyon

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2013
      Dawn, please consider my application for the Cascade Designs LuxuryLite Ultralite Cot. I have read and agree to the BackpackGearTest.org Survival Guide and bylaws v.0609 and have a tester agreement on file. This Test will not conflict with my other Tests.

      Richard Lyon, Male, 66, Bozeman, Montana USA
      6'4" [1.91 m], 200 lb [89 kg],
      Montana DOT angler AT gmail DOT com

      I've been backpacking regularly in the Rockies since 1986. I do at least one weeklong trip every summer, and often take three-day trips. I'm usually camping in alpine terrain, at altitudes 5000 to 10000 ft (1500-3000 m). I prefer base camp backpacking, a long hike in with day trips from camp. Recently I've been actively reducing my pack weight, but still sleep in a floored tent and often include my favorite camp conveniences. Winter backcountry trips are often on telemark or touring skis.

      Tests in progress: 2 [Chaco Tedhino Waterproof Boots, Dahlgren Backpacking Socks, LTR for each due March 26]
      See http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1436.htm
      Other pending applications: None

      In the past twelve months I submitted four Owner Reviews, plus a substantial update to an earlier OR.
      My Reports are listed at
      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/tester_reviews/richardglyon
      I serve as an OR Editor, Call Manager, Mentor, Monitor, and Director.

      During the past two years I have begun to suffer some back stiffness when sleeping on the ground, even with a good sleeping pad, so I welcome a cot's structure on any camping trip. Also I'm a restless sleeper and have had problems keeping a sleeping pad underneath my quilts, something I ought to be able to avoid using a cot. A cot suits my preferences for base camp backpacking and camp conveniences over weight reduction. Plus I have three backcountry applications for which I'd especially like to try out this intriguing product.

      First is winter backpacking (and here in Montana I expect snow on the ground through April or May). A group of us have planned a 3-4 day ski/backpack in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in northwest Montana in late March. I have a winter tent with no floor. In cold weather using that tent means that, as a very cold sleeper, I need a ground sheet and two pads to stave off the shivers. The Cot appears to be not much heavier than a second pad plus the ground sheet, and ought to be far more comfortable.

      Second use is related to a New Year's resolution: more packrafting this year. The Cot may allow me to substitute the raft (propped up by a paddle) for a tent, particularly on an overnight trip. The Cot should be compact and lightweight enough to include in my packrafting kit even if I think a tent is necessary. These trips will take place near the high mountain lakes in the nearby Gallatin and Madison Ranges, and after spring runoff is over on the Yellowstone River.

      And I plan to use the Cot on car camping and hut trips, several of which I have planned with a friend and her two small children. This winter we have hiked, skied, or snowshoed to US Forest Service cabins 1-5 miles (0.6 to 8 km) from the trailhead. The most suitable of these has only two small bunks, requiring someone to camp on the floor. The Cot would be a well-earned luxury for the only camper in the group who can't fit easily in a bunk.