LTR: Honey Stinger Blueberry Buzz bars - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2013
      Hi Bob,

      I've used up my bar allotment so I've posted my LTR to the test folder.  Here's a link and the text.

      Thanks for taking a look and providing edits.

      Nancy

      http://tinyurl.com/b6frlcv

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Mount Rose">>I took the Blueberry Buzz bars with me for backpacking, snowshoeing, hiking and mountain biking.
      Snowshoe Backpacking:
      Loon Lake Trail, Sierra Nevada, California: 2 nights; 16.2 mi (26 km); 6,327 to 7,030 ft (1,928 to 2,143 m) elevation; 22 to 50 F (-5 to 10 C); clear to cloudy conditions with light wind.  Snow conditions were packed powder of 4 ft (1.2 m) depth.
      Snowshoeing:
      Mount Rose, Carson Range, Nevada: 8,900 to 9,300 ft (2,713 to 2,835 m) elevation; 29 to 33 F (-2 to 0 C); clear conditions with little breeze.  Snow conditions were deep powder.
      Donner Lake State Park, California: 5,935 to 6,362 ft (1,809 to 1,939 m) elevation; 35 F (2 C); mostly sunny conditions.  Snow conditions were moderate depth powder.
      Hiking:
      Cronan Ranch East Ridge, Sierra Nevada, California: 4 mi (6 km); 743 to 1,262 ft (226 to 385 m) elevation; 50 to 55 F (10 to 13 C); mostly sunny conditions.
      Mountain Biking:
      South Fork American River Trail, California: 13 mi (21 km); 800 to 1,200 ft (240 to 370 m) elevation; 50 to 64 F (10 to 18 C); mostly cloudy conditions.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Donner Lake">>I ate the bars both on-trail for energy and post-hike for a boost.  On the snowshoe backpacking trip, I had one bar at the end of the hike in which was a nice pick-me-up for giving me energy to do camp chores.  I liked the quick yet sustained energy that they provide.  The taste is good and I especially like the blueberry flavor but the yogurt sweetness is a bit too much for me.  The sweetness was much more tolerable on the trail when I really needed the energy versus the one I ate at home while writing my initial report.  To be fair I generally like salty or savory snacks on the trail and don't like really sweet things like candy.  I do eat energy bars and have tried a wide variety but they aren't normally as sweet as this one.
      The bars hold up well in my pack and seem particularly good in colder weather so that the yogurt coating doesn't melt.  Since we had an unusually warm spell in February I tried leaving one in my car on a nice day to see if the yogurt would melt to the wrapper.  I left it on the dash and when we got back from mountain biking it was close to 80 F (27 C) inside the vehicle.  I opened the wrapper and the yogurt was melted all over and stuck to the wrapper making quite a mess.  I closed the wrapper and when we got home I put it in the freezer to see if the wrapper would release from the yogurt when it got cold.  It did great and I was able to remove the bar from the wrapper with no sticking and just a little of the yogurt coating coming off in small pieces.  I tried taking a bite to see how hard a completely frozen bar was and it was impossible for me to bite (without risking a broken tooth).  However, on the trail in cold weather the bars never saw
      this low of a temperature and were always pliable and easy to chew.

      SUMMARY

      Overall I'm satisfied with the bars as a good source of energy especially in cooler weather but the sweetness is a little too much for me.  I would prefer to see this bar without the yogurt coating since then it eliminates both of my concerns: melting and extra sweetness.
      Thumbs Up:
      Good blueberry taste
      Nice sustained energy and quick boost
      Easy open wrapper and easy to remove bar
      Natural ingredient list
      Thumbs Down:
      A bit too sweet for my taste
      Yogurt coating melts to wrapper
      This concludes my Long-Term Report and this test series.  Thanks to Honey Stinger and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
        Hi Nancy,

        Excellent repost series. I like the temperature test you did in the car. Gives readers an idea of what will happen in warmer temperatures.

        I'm with you on eating energy bars that are too sweet. I avoid them. I'm always worried that the sugar rush is going to wear off and my energy level will crash.

        No edits, post whenever you are ready.

        All the best,
        Bob
      • Nancy Griffith
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2013
          Thanks Bob. Got it uploaded and the old file deleted.

          Thanks for your work on this series. See you again.

          Nancy

          Sent from my iPhone