LTR: 180 Tack Stove- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2013
      Hi Mike,

      I've posted my LTR to the test folder.  Here is the link and text.

      Thanks for providing the edits.

      Nancy

      http://tinyurl.com/c5jdf8j

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Mount Rose">>Over the Long-Term Test period I used the stove for two snowshoe day hikes and one three-day snowshoe backpacking trip.
      Snowshoe Backpacking:
      Loon Lake Trail, Sierra Nevada, California: 3 days; 16.7 mi (27 km); elevation 6,327 to 6,947 ft (1,928 to 2,117 m); 29 to 45 F (-2 to 7 C); cloudy with some strong breezes.  Packed powder conditions.
      Snowshoeing:
      Mount Rose, Carson Range, Nevada: 8,900 to 9,300 ft (2,713 to 2,835 m) elevation; 29 to 33 F (-2 to 0 C); clear conditions with little breeze.
      Pacific Crest Trail, Sierra Nevada, California: 4 mi (6.4 km); 7,382 to 7,800 ft (2,250 to 2,377 m) elevation; 18 to 23 F (-7 to -5 C); sunny and clear conditions in 4 ft (1.2 m) of powder.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Foil">>I found the stove to work well in calm conditions with little wind where dry fuel was plentiful.  In windy conditions the flame kept being blown from beneath my pot significantly delaying boil time.  With the stove being so large my windscreen wasn't able to block enough of the wind.  Even in deep snow conditions dry fuel was always easy to find since I can find a dead standing tree and break off boughs or branches.  On the Mount Rose hike I used tamarack which burned extremely well.  The oils caught quickly and burned hot.  I covered my pot with foil to keep the soot off and wore plastic gloves to keep my hands clean.  They still got dirty and I used alcohol hand cleaner to wash them.  This worked well when it was warmer so that the cleaner didn't cool my hands too much.
      I have gotten into the habit of carrying fire starter, plastic disposable gloves, foil for my pot, plastic produce bags to store the pot, a pot scrubber and extra hand cleaner.  While none of these things are particularly heavy they do add to my gear list when I'm using a wood stove.
      The cook area of this stove is particularly large and dwarfs by cook pot.  I could easily fit two of them on this stove in opposite corners at the same time.
      Overall I can see benefits of burning wood on long trips where carrying fuel literally outweighs the wood stove.  This stove is especially useful in pleasant weather where dry fuel is readily available.  Warm weather seems better too since my hands don't get so cold with the extra washing that is needed.  However, the down sides are having to carry additional items, the inconvenience of soot and delay in boil times especially in stormy weather.

      SUMMARY

      The 180 Stove is a solidly-constructed simple design for a wood burning stove.  It has a large cooking surface and stacks to a compact size for travel.
      Likes:
      No fuel to carry
      Grate allows for grilling food
      Disassembles to compact size
      Made in USA
      Dislikes:
      Pot and hands get dirty from soot
      Difficult to block wind
      Too large for my backpacking pot
      This concludes my Long-Term Test Report and this test series.  Thanks to 180 Tack and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • Mike Pearl
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2013
        Hi Nancy,
        I like the anti-soot foil wrap!  Nice conclusion to the series.  I cannot find any edits.  Upload at will.
        See ya' next series,Mike

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 17, 2013
          Thanks Mike. Got it uploaded and deleted the test file

          It was nice working with you on this. See you around :)

          Nancy