LTR - Nemo Equipment Obi 2P Tent - Mark Thompson

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2013
      Hi Mike,
      Please find my LTR below and at:http://tinyurl.com/Obi2P

      I await your edits.

      Best,
      Mark

      NEMO OBI 2P TENT
      TEST SERIES BY MARK THOMPSON
      LTR
      February 14, 2013

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I thoroughly enjoyed testing this wonderful product during this final phase, all
      of which I have done in Colorado's "Front Range." Although the weather this
      time of year creates a rather significant challenge for testing a three season
      tent, I was able to get out and put the NEMO Obi 2P through its paces on two
      additional overnight trips, totaling 10 days and 5 nights. During both trips, I
      did encounter snow fall (surprising since we haven't had much this year) and
      colder temperatures, well below freezing.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I have been very pleased with the performance of the Obi 2P, despite the
      weather. As mentioned, this is a three season tent and really wasn't intended
      for winter or snow condition usage.

      The significant amount of mesh in the tent certainly helps with weight reduction
      and improves ventilation, but it doesn't bode well for heat retention or for
      keeping blowing snow outside where it belongs. My experiences during the past
      two months, in the Indian Peaks Wilderness, have shown the Obi 2P to be much
      cooler than my winter tent, obviously due to the high concentration of mesh used
      in construction, as well as the lack of solid panels to help control interior
      temperature and the amount of ventilation. I also noticed that fine particles
      of blowing snow were able to get inside the tent through the mesh. All of this,
      however, is not unexpected nor should it be considered a detriment to the
      product or product quality, rather, a notation of experience when using this
      product outside of design parameters. I was, however, very pleased to
      experience how well the tent was able to shed the snow, showing no significant
      amount of snow accumulation on the tent. The snow did accumulate around the
      base of the rain fly as it slide down the sides, but even then, the front
      portion of the tent is high enough off the ground that there was still a
      sufficient amount of ventilation to keep the oxygen concentration at appropriate
      levels inside the tent.

      On the first trip, my wife and I spent the night together in the tent. Yes, it
      is cozy, but we have a sleeping bag for two which incorporates a feature that
      holds our sleeping pad in place. Since we are already accustomed to close
      sleeping quarters, the Obi was sufficient for the two of us. We did note,
      however, that there was little remaining room inside the tent after we set up
      our sleep system. As you can see from my bio, I am on the taller side (not a
      giant by any means, but a little taller than the US average), while my wife is
      5' 5" (165 cm) tall and of average build. Despite the interior room
      constraints, the vestibules served us well and provided a nice place to keep our
      boots out of the direct weather and snow fall.

      On one of these two trips, the wind was considerable. Although I was not able
      to measure wind speed, I would estimate them to be 10 to 15 mph (16 to 24 kph)
      with gusts to 20 mph (32 kph) or more. I don't know that anyone really sleeps
      well in these conditions, I certainly did not, but I must say that I was pleased
      with how well the Obi withstood the wind. I am sure that the 10 deg F (-12 deg
      C) temperature didn't help my level of comfort much either, but I was able to
      keep warm and out of the wind.

      The one huge benefit was, again, the significant reduction in weight compared to
      my other tents. I know this may sound redundant (okay, it is) but taking a few
      pounds off of my back was greatly appreciated, especially when traveling in
      snowshoes. Most everything is more difficult in the winter, just breathing
      takes more effort, so reducing my pack weight (or allowing me to carry more
      clothes) was awesome. I also really enjoy how well the Obi fits into my
      internal frame backpack.

      I had really wanted to try out the sun shade feature, but unfortunately the
      weather did not cooperate and snow prevented this from happening. Initially, I
      couldn't figure out how to set up the fly with the footprint, leaving the tent
      at home, so I sent an e-mail to Nemo's Customer Service. I was pleased to have
      gotten an informative and polite response in less than 24 hours! Well done! To
      set the Obi up in its sun shade configuration, the Jake's Feet from the tent
      must be removed and attached to the footprint. Certainly, it would be much
      nicer to have the footprint equipped with them instead of requiring this bit of
      manual intervention, but alas, the website's claim of a sun shade is, in fact,
      possible.

      SUMMARY

      Wow, simply a great product with tons of features! Since this is a three season
      tent, I will not hold any "less than admirable" attributes against the tent
      which are related to winter conditions.

      Pros:
      - Awesome weight
      - Great packing design
      - Large vestibules
      - Good wind resistance

      Cons:
      - Needs at least one more stake
      - I would like to have a Jake's Foot feature incorporated into the footprint
      attachment

      Overall, a fantastic product! This tent has displaced my previous three season
      tent at the top of the shelter pecking order. A special thank you to Nemo
      Equipment and backpackgeartest.org!

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.

    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2013
        Hi Mark,

        Good working with you again.

        Here are your edits in the usual format –

        EDIT – must change

        edit – my recommended change if you agree

        comment – just that

        Comment – Love your photos and that you took this tent out in such weather! Kudos to you and your wife!

        “Although the weather this time of year creates a rather significant challenge for testing a three season tent, I was able…”

        EDIT – three-season (with a hyphen and in each case in your report)

        “During both trips, I did encounter snow fall (surprising since we haven't had much this year) and colder temperatures, well below freezing.”

        EDIT – snowfall (one word)

        “The snow did accumulate around the base of the rain fly as it slide down the sides, but even then, the front portion of the tent…”

        EDIT – “slid” down the sides…

        “Despite the interior room constraints, the vestibules served us well and provided a nice place to keep our boots out of the direct weather and snow fall.”

        EDIT – snowfall (one word)

        That’s it! Go ahead and upload when you’re ready and remember to delete the test copy

        See you next time

        Mike

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2013
          Hi Mike,
          Thank you! It was great working with you again. Corrections made, files
          uploaded and admin complete.
          Climb on!
          Mark