LTR 180 TACK 180 STOVE-Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/bv49hns

      180 TACK 180 STOVE
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      LTR
      February 13, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.20 kg)

      I have been backpacking for five years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg). I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Trip #8:
      Location: Joshua Tree National Park, California USA
      Elevation: 3,000 ft (914 m)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Conditions: sandy desert terrain
      Temperatures: 50-70 F (10-21 C)
      Weather: windy

      Trip #9:
      Location: Big Bear area, California USA
      Elevation: 7,000 ft (2134 M)
      Trip duration: 2 days, 1 night
      Conditions: off trail forest
      Temperatures: 30-60 F (-1 -15C)
      Weather: cold day hiking in the forest on about 3 inches of snow pack

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      My experience with the stove on these trips was similar to my earlier trips. Although my firestarting abilities have improved, I still need to be patient when starting the fire to get a good set of coals burning long enough to be able to add the small twigs and then the larger twigs to establish the fire. If I try to hurry the firestarting process, the fire goes out and produces smoke. Then I usually need to begin the firestarting process all over again. This is difficult at the end of a long cold day when I am hungry for hot food and drink and low on patience.

      CONTINUED USE

      I expect to use this stove on longer trips where the weight savings would be significant by not carrying the fuel canisters. I may pair this stove with the stoves my hiking partners carry with the idea that when we are in a hurry, we will use their quick lighting stoves and when we have more time for a leisurely meal, we will use this stove. Having both types of stoves on an extended trip is a good idea as a back-up for the entire group.

      SUMMARY

      My impression remains the same. I like the idea of not having to carry the fuel canisters, but the firestarting items I carried appear to make the weight savings minimal. Always having readily available fuel in the forest is a positive. Knowing how to put it to good use was my firestarting challenge. I like that the stove can accommodate my larger cook pot which makes it easier to cook for a group, thus saving the group weight of more people carrying a stove and fuel. It is also helpful to employ the group effort to gather materials for the fire.

      The stove appeared to warp over time making the grate pieces more difficult to place into their slots on the sides to assemble the stove. I dislike that soot gets on my hands while handling the stove before and after cooking.

      This test series is now concluded. Thank you to 180 Tack and BackpackGearTest.org for this testing opportunity.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2013
        [NOTE TO EDITOR: I made enough edits that I wanted to give you another chance to review.]

        http://tinyurl.com/b3eltsh

[...]

        Weather: cold days hiking in the forest on about 3 inches of snow pack

        PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

        My experience with the stove on these trips was similar to my earlier trips. Although my fire starting abilities have improved, I still need to be patient when starting the fire. Patience to get a good set of coals burning long enough to be able to add the small twigs and then the larger twigs to establish the fire. If I try to hurry the fire starting process, the fire goes out and produces smoke. Then I usually need to begin the fire starting process all over again. This is difficult at the end of a long cold day when I am hungry for hot food and drink and low on patience.

        With each use, the grate pieces became more difficult to place into their slots on the sides of the stove. By the end of this test, the assembly required significantly more time and manipulation. Once assembled, the performance of the stove did not change.

        I dislike that soot gets on my hands while handling the stove before and after cooking. I carried extra paper towels, hand sanitizer and trash bags for the clean-up.

        CONTINUED USE

        I expect to use this stove on longer trips where the weight savings would be significant by not carrying the fuel canisters. I may pair this stove with the stoves my hiking partners carry with the idea that when we are in a hurry, we will use their quick lighting stoves and when we have more time for a leisurely meal, we will use this stove. Having both types of stoves on an extended trip is a good idea as a back-up for the entire group.

        SUMMARY

        My impression remains the same. I like the idea of not having to carry the fuel canisters, but the fire starting items I carried appear to make the weight savings minimal. Always having readily available fuel in the forest is a positive. Knowing how to put it to good use was my fire starting challenge. I like that the stove can accommodate my larger cook pot which makes it easier to cook for a group, thus saving the group weight of more people carrying a stove and fuel. It is also helpful to employ the group effort to gather materials for the fire on the last part of the hike towards camp.