LTR - NEMO Obi 2P Tent - Andrei Girenkov

  • agirenkov
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2013
      Uploaded version can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/atp3sa2
      Text only version is below.

      Please note that in addition to the LTR section, I went back and edited the FR section to reflect comments that I received from Ray and other BGT staff. Specifically I rephrased my criticism of the cramped space to acknowledge that two people can indeed fit, although with some difficulty. Furthermore, I originally found the tent very cold and planned to do the LTR in March when it got warmer. Because I did the LTR in January (to meet the deadline as well as to see how it performs in the winter), I removed all statements about my March plans from the FR.

      Thank you Kathy, Ray, Richard, and Mike for helping me get this across the finish line.

      NEMO OBI 2P TENT
      TEST SERIES BY ANDREI GIRENKOV
      LTR
      February 10, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Andrei Girenkov
      EMAIL: agirenkov[AT]yahoo[DOT]com
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: New York, New York, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 150 lb (68.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for 6 years, mostly 3-season weekend trips in the Adirondacks, and other parks in the Northeastern

      US. Additionally, I try to take at least one 5-7 day trip each summer to other destinations in Canada, Western United

      States and Central America. I use lightweight gear on a budget. My multi-day pack weight is around 20-25 lb (9-11kg). I

      enjoy sleeping comfortably and cooking a hot meal at night

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: NEMO Equipment Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.nemoequipment.com/" LINK TEXT =

      "http://www.nemoequipment.com/">>
      MSRP: Tent: $389.95, Footprint: $49.95

      Listed Weight:
      Minimum tent weight (just tent body, fly, poles): 3 lb 0 oz (1360 g)
      Packed weight (everything included in the package): 3 lb 10 oz (1644 g)
      Footprint: 8.6 oz (245 g)

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Packed Tent" IMAGE CAPTION = "Tent packed in its compression sack.">>

      Measured Weight:
      Tent realistically packed (body, fly, poles, guy lines, stakes, repair kit, stuff sacks): 3 lb 6.6 oz (1605 g)
      Footprint: 8.6 oz (245 g)

      Listed Interior Height: 40 in (102 cm)
      Listed Floor Dimensions 84 x 50 in (213 x 127 cm)
      Verified Accurate

      Listed Area: 27 sq ft (2.5 sq m)
      Listed Vestibules Area: 18 sq ft (1.7 sq m)
      Listed Packed Size: 7.5 in length x 6 in diameter (19 x 15 cm)
      Measured Packed Size (after opening and repacking): 10.5 x 6.5 in (27 x 16.5 cm)

      Fly / Vestibule Fabric: 20D Polyurethane Treated Nylon
      Floor Fabric: 30D Polyurethane Treated Nylon
      Footprint Fabric: 70D Polyurethane Treated Nylon

      Manufacturer's Description:

      NEMO bills the Obi tent as a lightweight, carefully designed, "finely tuned instruments." The company states that every

      piece of material utilized serves for a purpose, and not an extra ounce of weight was used to accomplish this task.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The package included 3 stuff sacks which contained the main NEMO Obi 2P Tent (hereafter called Obi 2P or simply the tent),

      the poles, and a footprint.

      The first thing that struck me was the small size of the tent itself. As you can see from the photograph, the initial size

      of the compressed tent is about as long as a men's size 10 US (44 EU) shoe and about twice as wide. The tent poles came

      in an elongated stuff sack that physically clips to the tent's compression sack.

      The manufacturer was kind enough to include a footprint as well in a separate mesh bag. This accessory normally retails

      for an additional $50. It weighs in at a hefty 8.6 oz (245 g) - a significant portion of the overall weight given the

      manufacturer's stated goal of not wasting a single ounce.

      TRYING IT OUT

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Hub and Clip" IMAGE CAPTION = "Hub and Clip">>
      The Obi 2P uses a pole and hub system. The poles now are GREEN anodized DAC Featherlite NSL. DAC describes this as a new

      process for anodizing poles that minimizes the use of toxic chemicals. The center pole extends to a hub at each end. Two

      poles extend from each hub to the corners of the tent, forming an elongated X.

      The poles end in a small metal ball which goes into a socket at each corner of the tent. Once the poles are erected, the

      tent clips to them with plastic twist clips. The twist makes it very easy to clip on, and the shape forces the pole into

      the deepest part of the hook so they don't slide down. Here is a photo of the initial tent setup and a closeup of a pole

      hub with an attached twist clip.

      At each corner of the tent is a mechanism called a "Jake's Foot". It is designed to allow the poles, fly and footprint to

      quickly and securely attach to the tent. This is quite a handy mechanism once you know how to use it, however the

      instructions it comes with are limited to 4 pictures without any words, akin to IKEA assembly instructions. After about 10

      minutes of fumbling about with the fly and the foot print I had to watch a video online to see how to use it.

      The Jake's foot without any attachments is pictured below. The poles snap into the ball socket in the middle of the

      Jake's foot. Then the fly snaps into place with the little hook facing down on the outermost cross member of the Jake's

      foot. Then the footprint snaps in with the hook facing up on the innermost cross member.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Fully Attached Jake's Foot" IMAGE CAPTION = "Fully Attached Jake's Foot">> <<IMAGE GOES

      HERE. ALT TEXT = "Empty Jake's Foot" IMAGE CAPTION = "Empty Jake's Foot">>

      The floor of the Obi 2P is made of lightweight 30D Polyurethane (PU) nylon. An optional 70D PU nylon footprint can be

      attached below. The walls are ultra lightweight 20D PU nylon for the first half up from the floor and then a switch to a

      No-See-Um polyester mesh. There are two wide D-shaped doors. NEMO provides a loop and toggle to secure each door so it

      doesn't flap in the breeze when open. There is a single very small storage pocket behind one of the doors.

      The green rain fly is made of the same ultral ightweight 20D PU nylon as the walls. As mentioned above, it snaps to the

      tent via a Jake's Foot in each corner. The fly has two vestibules with D-shaped doors and storm flaps over the zippers.

      The Vestibules are very roomy, which I believe will come in very handy given the tight dimensions of this tent. The fly

      does not extend all the way to the ground on all sides. On the head end of the tent the fly stops half way down the walls,

      covering only the mesh portion. This allows the tent to ventilate. There are no other vents on the fly itself.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Set Up Tent" IMAGE CAPTION = "Initial Set Up">>

      SUMMARY

      NEMO set out to make a compact, lightweight and comfortable two-person tent, in which every detail serves a purpose. The

      initial impression is that they succeeded at least on the first two counts, particularly on packed size. The tent shaves a

      pound of weight and about 50% of packed size from my current ultra light tent that was state of the art when I bought it 6

      years ago. The instructions for the new Jake's Foot system are not obvious at first glance. However setup became very

      simple and quick once I looked at an instructional video online. The jury is still out on the comfort of this tent. I

      hope to answer that question in the Field and Long Term Reports.

      <a name="FRPT">FIELD REPORT</a>

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      I took the NEMO Obi 2P Tent out on three weekend trips in late September and early October in upstate New York. One trip

      was to the Sawtooth Ridge in the Adirondack Mountains, the second to Minnewaska State Oark, and the third to the Catskill

      Mountains. The weather was mild and sunny on all three trips. Daytime temperatures were around 50 F (10 C). The

      temperature dropped below freezing on a single night during my October trip.

      In order to minimize the weight of the tent, NEMO designers have eliminated material or substituted a lightweight

      alternative wherever possible. Case in point, more than half of the body of the tent is made from a mesh material. While

      this provides for great ventilation, and a beautiful view of the stars on a clear night, it also limits the temperature

      range when the tent can be used. I will take the tent out on a winter trip to confirm this observation.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Mesh walls" IMAGE CAPTION = "You can clearly see the foliage through two layers of

      mesh.">>Let me start off by saying that for the weather conditions of my field test, the tent was just about perfect. It

      was extremely light and compact and very well ventilated. I carried it without a rainfly because of the fair weather.

      Sleeping in it felt very open - as if I was lying without a tent at all. The mesh disappeared into the night sky, and the

      moon and stars were my roof! This setup worked out very well for all but my last night outside, when the temperature

      dipped below freezing. Without a fly, it was very cold, even with a 20 F (-7 C) rated sleeping bag.

      One aspect of this tent that users should be aware of is its compact interior space. This version of the Obi is advertised

      as a two person tent. Two pads will fit into the tent, however you will get to know your tent mate very closely! Here is

      an overhead view of my regular-sized (20 in or 51 cm wide) Therm-a-Rest Neo Air which is centered inside the tent. When I

      sleep on my back, I occupy the entire width of the pad. I could just fit two of them inside the tent side by side, and

      sleeping on either one required touching the wall of the tent with my body. Without a fly this was not an issue. In a

      future test I will try such an arrangement with the fly on to see if condensation becomes an issue. With two people inside

      this tent there is no room for any personal items other than what will fit under your pillow or inside the single pocket.

      The good news is that this tent is light enough to be carried on a solo trip. For a single sleeper, it felt like my own

      personal Taj Mahal. There was a lot of room on both sides of my sleeping bag for a flashlight, book, clothes and other

      personal items as well as plenty of headroom above me. On these trips I left my pack and shoes unprotected outside

      overnight. In my next test I would like to check if there is enough space in the vestibule to keep my pack, or if I have

      to sacrifice more internal space.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Overhead view" IMAGE CAPTION = "Single or double wide? You be the judge.">><<IMAGE GOES

      HERE. ALT TEXT = "Inside View" IMAGE CAPTION = "A solo Taj Mahal!">>

      SUMMARY

      This is a very light tent. This advantage is enhanced even further by the ability to leave the rain fly at home and save

      another pound or so. In this configuration, there is great ventilation and no condensation whatsoever. Additionally, all

      the materials and construction are topnotch. There are no loose threads or seams, and the footprint, tent, and fly line up

      perfectly with each other for quick and easy assembly.

      I do have a concern about the interior room if used as a two-person tent. It is spacious for one person, but becomes

      cramped if two people are sleeping inside. Additionally I would like to see whether this tent can be used in the winter

      with the fly pitched.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      In the fall, I used the Obi as a solo tent, and pitched it without a fly. My field review left several questions

      unanswered. During my subsequent trips I wanted to find out how the tent will perform with a fly in cold weather, whether

      condensation is a problem, and how comfortable it is for two person use. This long term review answers those questions.

      I carried the tent with me on a two night snowshoe trip to the Rockingham Recreational Trail in New Hampshire in January.

      The round trip took me across approximately 52 mi (84 km) of 3 ft (91 cm) of packed snow. This is a rather flat trail that

      follows an abandoned railroad line. The elevation ranges from 250 to 400 ft (76 to 122 m) above sea level. The weather

      was clear to cloudy. Temperature ranged from 4 to 17 F (-15 to -8 C).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      For this trip I was accompanied by a hiking buddy. We pitched the tent with a fly and both slept in it. We used foam

      pads, with a 4 season inflatable sleeping pad on top, and both slept in 0 F (-18 C) sleeping bags as well as in some winter

      clothing. We left our backpacks, boots, and snowshoes in the vestibule overnight.

      The tent provided adequate wind protection, and we did not experience any snow drifting into the tent under the fly.

      Although the temperatures were quite low, we had a very warm sleeping setup as you can see above. Neither one of us woke

      up from cold temperature in the middle of the night.

      There was a fair amount of condensation in the form of frost that formed on the mesh overnight. This is typical of winter

      camping because the cold temperature cause exhaled moisture to freeze almost immediately. I cannot blame the tent in this

      case.

      The biggest challenge for us was fitting all the winter sleeping gear into the tent, as well as finding room for snowshoes

      and backpacks in the vestibule. The cramped two person sleeping conditions I described in the field review are only

      exacerbated by the need to carry bulkier winter gear.

      SUMMARY

      The NEMO Obi 2P is the lightest, most compact two person tent that I have personally had the pleasure of using. The setup

      is a breeze once you learn how to do it, and the packed size and weight leave very little to be desired. The tent is very

      well constructed and ventilated. Its only weak spot is the limited interior room. I would not hesitate to recommend it as

      a one or two person three season tent. However I would not use it as a two person tent in the winter given the extra space

      needed to accommodate winter gear.

      Pros:
      Lightweight.
      Compact.
      Two nice size vestibules.
      Transparent mesh allows for great view of sky at night.
      Easy to set up.
      Very spacious for a single person.

      Cons:
      Cramped for two people.
      Only one interior pocket.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • agirenkov
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
        I just caught the fact that the LTR has the wrong date on it. Does anyone know how to update the date in the BGT report writer? I don't see a field for it.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "agirenkov" wrote:

> [...]

        > exacerbated by the need to carry bulkier winter gear.
        >
        > SUMMARY
        >
        > The NEMO Obi 2P is the lightest, most compact two person tent that I have personally had the pleasure of using. The setup
        >
        > is a breeze once you learn how to do it, and the packed size and weight leave very little to be desired. The tent is very
        >
        > well constructed and ventilated. Its only weak spot is the limited interior room. I would not hesitate to recommend it as
        >
        > a one or two person three season tent. However I would not use it as a two person tent in the winter given the extra space
        >
        > needed to accommodate winter gear.
        >
        > Pros:
        > Lightweight.
        > Compact.
        > Two nice size vestibules.
        > Transparent mesh allows for great view of sky at night.

      • Kathy Waters
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
          No worry! When you first open RW and you clip on the "Write and Edit
          Reports" selection, it brings up the box with your lists of reports and ORs.
          Click on the "Advanced" radio button, select the report you need to change
          the date in and then just change the date in the "date" field below

          OK?

          Kathy

          Please help support me in my 2nd Tubbs' Romp to Stomp out Breast Cancer
          Snowshoe Race, March 2, 2013. You can donate at
          <http://tinyurl.com/bem2xm4> http://tinyurl.com/bem2xm4. THANKS!

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 10, 2013
            Date has been updated - same URL as before.

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters" wrote:

            > No worry! When you first open RW and you clip on the "Write and Edit
            > Reports" selection, it brings up the box with your lists of reports and ORs.
            > Click on the "Advanced" radio button, select the report you need to change
            > the date in and then just change the date in the "date" field below
            >

            > OK?
            >

            > Kathy
            >

            > Please help support me in my 2nd Tubbs' Romp to Stomp out Breast Cancer
            > Snowshoe Race, March 2, 2013. You can donate at
            > http://tinyurl.com/bem2xm4. THANKS!

          • Mike Mosack
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 16, 2013
              Hi Andrei,

              Here are your edits in the usual format -

              EDIT – Must change

              edit – my recommended change if you agree

              comment – just that

              “During my subsequent trips I wanted to find out how the tent will perform with a fly in cold weather, whether condensation is a problem, and how comfortable it is for two person use.”

              EDIT – The tenses aren’t consistent throughout this sentence… Example - Replace “will” with “would” or “might” and…

              edit - replace “is” with “could be “ or “might be” to keep the tenses correct (as examples)

              “I carried the tent with me on a two night snowshoe trip to the Rockingham Recreational Trail in New Hampshire in January.”

              EDIT – two-night

              “We used foam pads, with a 4 season inflatable sleeping pad on top,”

              EDIT – four-season

              “Although the temperatures were quite low, we had a very warm sleeping setup as you can see above.”

              edit/comment – You mention here about the very low temps and warm setup and you refer to a photo above, but I don’t think there is a photo that shows this. The closest one I see is the shot where you see the sleeping bag inside the tent with a mesh roof which isn’t really showcasing what you describe in my opinion. I would either change this sentence or add a photo showing “cold weather camping”.

              “This is typical of winter camping because the cold temperature cause exhaled moisture to freeze almost immediately.”

              EDIT – “caused”

              “The NEMO Obi 2P is the lightest, most compact two person tent that I have personally had the pleasure of using.”

              EDIT – two-person (with a hyphen) and throughout your report

              “I would not hesitate to recommend it as a one or two person three season tent.”

              EDIT – three-season (with a hyphen)

              So that’s it I think. Go ahead and upload what you’re ready and please remember to delete the test copy.

              See you on the next one

              Mike

              Manufacturer's Website: <http://www.nemoequipment.com/" LINK TEXT =