EDIT: LTR - ViewRanger App - Erin Foudy

  • Christopher Nicolai
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2013
      Erin,

      Many apologies for the delay in getting my edits back to you. As I
      mentioned to Curt, I was in the middle of interviews and negotiations for a
      significant job opportunity far far away.

      I have a few items for you in the standard EDIT, Edit, Comment format.
      Once you have addressed to your satisfaction, please feel free to upload
      and delete out of the test folder.

      Christopher

      Comment
      --- Believe me, I am not doubting your experience, as I know there can be
      significant variation in battery life from one mobile device to the next,
      depending on many variables. However, it is noteworthy and somewhat
      surprising the very different experience that you had with battery life
      compared to what Curt mentioned in his report. It definitely gives the
      readers a wide range of experience to draw from. :-)

      Edit
      > *
      All of the trips I used the ViewRanger on, for both backcountry and day
      hike use, were no shorter than 6 miles.
      *
      *
      --- This is a little nitpicky, but you've got a dangling preposition here
      ("on") that makes the sentence read a little funny. There are a few ways
      to clarify this sentence without changing your intent, but consider
      something like "All of the trips on which I used the ViewRanger..." Or "I
      used the ViewRanger on both backcountry and day hike trips, the shortest of
      which was six miles.
      *

      Edit
      > *
      I really wanted to like this app, as I stated in my previous report, I have
      never owned a GPS and the idea of being able to turn my phone into one by
      downloading an app seemed ingenious.
      *
      *
      --- This is a run-on sentence that can easily be fixed by putting a period
      or even a semicolon instead of a comma after "report."
      *
      *

      *
      *

      *
      *
      Edit
      *
      *

      *I was never able to download a full map successfully, I never was able to
      get the Buddy Beacon to work, and I was never able to fully track one of my
      trips because the battery always died before I was done.
      --- Can you offer the readers at least some perspective on how many times
      you tried to use these features and what your experience was like in trying
      them? Why did your attempts fail? Also perhaps offering some indication
      what level the battery was at when you started the trips and what other
      features your phone was using, since it could be materially different if
      you started using the app with a fully charged battery with nothing else
      running in the background, versus starting a trip after work with a
      half-drained battery and keeping the screen constantly on. (And the screen
      on full brightness.)
      *

      *
      *

      *
      *
      Edit
      *
      *

      *It is hard to articulate why this app was so hard to use aside from the
      fact that it is just very feature rich and the menus given to navigate
      through all of the different functions were just, for me, not intuitive.
      --- I hate to say this, as I know some apps are just difficult to navigate
      and not intuitive. And it's always good to offer your personal perspective
      from live use. But I can't help thinking that this is a bit of a cop out
      when reading it. (Not saying you are intentionally copping out. Just that
      it reads a bit that way for the audience.) Are there any specific examples
      you can point out? Maybe citing the number of menu levels or indicating
      that you must click through four levels to get to what you consider a more
      common feature?
      *

      *
      *

      *
      *
      Edit
      *
      *

      **
      A feature that I may have discovered during one hike that I liked, was then
      later impossible to find, I couldn't remember how I had achieved or
      navigated to that function.
      *
      *
      --- Another run-on sentence. I suggest a period instead of a comma after
      "find."
      *

      Edit
      > *
      Unfortunately, I was never able to successfully use this app either due to
      battery failure on my phone from running the app, or just because of my own
      inability to figure out how to use the app.
      *
      *
      --- I feel that this statement needs some clarification, because it appears
      from some of your other comments and photos that you did, in fact, get the
      app to work successfully at least on some occasions.
      *
      *

      *
      *

      *
      *
      EDIT
      *
      *

      *I would like to thank Augmentra Ltd and BackpackGearTest.org for the
      chance to participate in this test! Please check back in January for my
      Long-Term Report.
      --- Omit the part about checking back in January. :-)