EDIT: FR: ViewRanger & Apology! (Curt)

  • Christopher Nicolai
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2013
      Curt,

      Very well written report! Truly, you have prompted me to go out and try
      out the free version (and almost sold me on the paid version without the
      trial version). Apologies back to you for my even further delayed edits.
      (I was in the midst of a drama about possibly moving my family to a far
      away foreign country. But we're staying in Seattle for now!)

      Only one EDIT for you below and a few comments. Address, upload, and
      delete once you are satisfied.

      Cheers,

      Christopher

      Comment
      > I should probably go ahead and set expectations for the remainder of this
      review right now. It will not be 100% comprehensive. There is just too much
      to cover. It is - without a doubt - the most robust GPS software I've ever
      used.
      --- I really like this opening statement. It gets me excited to see what
      is coming next in your review.

      EDIT
      > As software, conditions and locations don't seem particularly relevant,
      so I think focusing on one particular hike to show how it works makes the
      most sense.
      --- If you reread this sentence, I think you'll see that you need to either
      omit the "so" in the middle or the "As" at the beginning.

      Comment
      > I'm confident I could do that a number of times on a multiday hike and
      barely use any battery power.
      --- It would have been ideal to have given this a try during testing to
      verify this, but alas. Maybe an opportunity for a future update if you
      think of it. I believe your statement is justified by projecting the
      shorter term use to longer term use, but consider that this may be verging
      on, well, projecting.

      Comment
      > I've used 4 different popular dedicated GPS units over the last decade
      and none even come close to the feature set this app has.
      --- Just pointing out that you make a very similar statement near the
      beginning of the report. Not really an issue. This may be intentional,
      but wanted to draw your attention to it in case you shuffled things around
      and didn't realize it was in here twice.

      Comment
      > The user interface could use a little bit of an update, however. It
      "feels" a bit 2009.
      --- I know things change fast in the mobile app world, but I still had to
      chuckle at this statement. :-)