LTR - Honey Stinger Blueberry Bars - Ray Estrella

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
      Hi Bob,

      Here is the LTR for the bars. The HTML may be found here:

      http://tinyurl.com/asb8twt

      Ray

      LONG-TERM REPORT
      Field Data

      I took the Blueberry Buzz Bars on three backpacking trips. Two were on the Red River on private property north of Halstad, Minnesota. The first was warm for the time of year with a low of 12 F (-11 C) while the second was back to normal with a low of 10 (-23 C)

      The last was on the North Country Trail by the Anoway River in Chippewa National Forest which saw a high of -6 F and an overnight low of -22 F (-21 to -30 C). The picture below is from that trip.

      Observations

      As I only had seven of the Blueberry Buzz Bars to test I spread them out over three 2-day trips, having one Blueberry Buzz Bar at breakfast along with another brand of trail bar, and one at lunch along with some beef jerky.

      The bar I had eaten at home was quite sweet, more than I care for. But on the trail in the frigid temperatures it was actually pretty nice. And the bars handled the extreme cold quite well. My lunch bar would travel in the top lid of my backpack so it was not getting much in the way of body heat. But the bars were always easy to eat, never becoming rock hard like other bars I have used do. The texture is nice with enough crunch to keep it from being boring but not too much work to chew.

      Since I have been in such cold temps I have always worn gloves when eating the bars. So I can't really say if the yogurt coating will melt onto my hands during more normal conditions.

      The taste has been pretty good. I really like the amount of blueberries in the bar. If I could choose I would have them forgo the yogurt coating to cut some of the sugar but all in all I liked the Blueberry Buzz Bars and would have no hesitation to buy them in the future. I would like to thank Honey Stinger and BackpackGearTest.org for letting me try them out, and shall leave with a shot at lunch at one of the old farmsteads I hiked past.
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2013
        Hi Ray,

        As usual excellent report. All I can say is Burrrrr.

        The second picture is kind of interesting. Nothing like a camp swing and the object in the background, at first glance looks like a wrecked boat. I'm assuming it is a barn or something?

        Looks like just a temperature issue and you are good to go.

        All the best,
        Bob

        > The first was warm for the time of year with a low of 12 F (-11 C) while the second was back to normal with a low of 10 (-23 C)

        EDIT: For a second I didn't really understand how 12 F was warm and 10 was normal. Check your numbers but I think it should read -10 F (-23 C)

      • Ray
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2013
          Hi Bob,

          Thank you for editing this series. Yes you were correct, I had the wrong temp.

          Yes that is a collapsed barn. It is amazing how fast buildings fall apart once abandoned.

          Ray