[EDIT] IR - Mountainsmith Trekking Poles - Erin Foudy

  • jetriple
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2013
      > Hi James,
      >
      > Here is my Initial Report for the Mountainsmith Trekking Poles. I
      > am really looking forward to getting on the trail to test these out!
      > Thanks in advance for your edits. Below is the text version of my
      > report and the HTML version can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/b2bvy3g
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Erin

      Hi Erin... Thank you for your Mountainsmith Pole report. Sorry for the
      delay in getting back to you. I was out last week, and came back with a
      cold. And... my backup at work, well, didn't.

      You have done a nice job with your reporting. Please consider the few
      edits I have below, and when you are satisfied with your report, upload to
      the official folder. Please delete the test copy once you have uploaded.

      Thanks again! I look forward to the next installment.

      James E. Triplett
      Mountainsmith - Carbonlite Trekking Pole Monitor

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Listed Weight: 1 lb 2 oz (.54 kg)
      Measured Weight: 1 lb 3 oz (.60 kg)
      [Edit] Please state that this is for the pair.

      Smallest Measurement: 27.5 in (70 cm)
      Largest Measurement: 57 in (145 cm)
      [EDIT] From the Mountainsmith website I see they report the dimensions
      as: Compressed: 26", Extended: 54". You should include this before your
      measurements.

      The rest of the aluminum is painted black with the exception of the the
      markings on the middle section and the word STOP on the lower section
      which are both in a silver color.
      [EDIT] Duplicate "the" in "exception of the the"

      It wasn't until I looked at a video on the Mountainsmith website that I
      learned I could take the top section of the poles apart and adjust the
      spring of the Anti-shock system. A small nut can be tightened, which
      pushes down the spring and changes how much weight the poles will absorb.
      The middle and bottom section can also be completely separated by
      disconnecting the joint between them. The bottom section does not seem to
      have a spring, but there is still a nut that can be adjusted. The video
      also tells me that I should set the lower part of the poles right at the
      STOP marking. It also mentions that to measure the proper height of the
      poles, my elbows should be positioned at a 90 degree angle.
      [Comment] Great information. Thanks!

      I am excited to get these poles out on the trail! This is the first pair
      of trekking poles I have ever used even though I have been interested in
      them for years. The poles feel sturdy and strong and I hope they help
      ease the load on my back and knees when I am backpacking.
      [Comment] Since this is your first pair of poles, you may want to visit
      Pete's Pole Page. http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

    • erinfoudy
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2013
        Hi James,

        I am so sorry for the extended delay in getting this report edited. We have been having a lot of computer trouble lately, but we have worked out a method to deal with the problems. Thanks for your edits! I have made changes and uploaded to the site.

        -Erin