LTR SS Mammoth tent - L Pontious

  • Lori Pontious
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2013
      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/bzat3aq

      Text:

      Long Term Report

      Field Conditions
      I took the Mammoth on one camping trip (unfortunately two others I had scheduled were canceled) to Mercey Hot Springs Resort. I spent two nights at the Resort in the campground. Our first night was foggy and damp, the temperature hovering at about 59 F (15 C), and the second night clear and colder at 54 F (12 C).

      Observations
      For my final two nights with the Mammoth I loaded into the tent a lot of gear and another person. At the hot spring I ended up with wet towels and wet clothes to string up on lines. I didn't want to leave them outside since it became misty and foggy, and as the night progressed the condensation in the tamarisk trees overhead dripped down on the fly of the tent. I'm happy to report that the light misting and humidity didn't result in any condensation inside the tent, in spite of my increasing humidity inside with all the wet fabric hanging around. With a couple of windows slightly unzipped, there seemed to be enough air flow through the top part of the tent while blocking the slight breeze enough for me, sleeping on the floor.

      I was also looking at the forecast with the thought that if it did actually rain, I could invite my party of nine inside with chairs or boxes to sit on - however, that didn't happen. But I could have easily hosted a card game. The floor space in the tent is more than adequate.

      Some of the tent stakes have bent a little. I can still use them, though, and lucky for me they are usable. At the resort the wind picked up in the afternoon and pushed the tent a few feet, before I remembered I hadn't staked it down. The gusty wind continued for about four hours that night. Though the walls shook and flexed in the gusts, I didn't have a problem with damage to the tent. I'm not sure how strong the wind was, but it sure made the trees creak!

      The only real con to the Mammoth is storage - I still have not gotten it to roll up small enough to fit in the original bag!

      All in all, it's been nice having a tent the size of a small house on my camping trips - being able to accommodate a couple of last minute campers and having lots of space to spread out is a luxury. I've had a good time with this tent and look forward to more campouts with it.

      Thanks to Exxel Outdoors and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Suisse Sport Mammoth 12' x 10' Tent. This concludes my review.

    • laurence kirschner
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2013
        Hi Lori-

        Just a couple of small things for you to fix, and then you
        are good to go.

        Nice working with you on this report.

        See you on down the trail

        -larry

        ----

        Comment: Both the IR and the FR have a horizontal bar above
        the report to separate from the sections above. Can you please add as well for
        the LTR?

        EDIT: Mercey Hot Springs Resort.

        >>>I don�t know where this is--Can you put a
        location? (city, state). I assume the spelling (Mercey) is correct, but please verify.

        Edit: Some of the tent stakes have bent a little. I can
        still use them, though, and lucky for me they are usable.

        >>>Not sure what you are trying to say here? The
        tent stakes are still functional?

      • Lori Pontious
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2013
          I can't delete the field report. Could someone help me out?

          On Feb 2, 2013, at 6:41 PM, laurence kirschner <asklarry98@...> wrote:

          > Hi Lori-
          >
          > Just a couple of small things for you to fix, and then you are good to go.
          > Nice working with you on this report.
          >
          > See you on down the trail
          >
          > -larry
          >
          > ----
          >
          > Comment: Both the IR and the FR have a horizontal bar above the report to separate from the sections above. Can you please add as well for the LTR?
          >
          > EDIT: Mercey Hot Springs Resort.
          >
          > Edit: Some of the tent stakes have bent a little. I can still use them, though, and lucky for me they are usable.

        • Ralph Ditton
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
            Poof....Gone Lori.
            A link would have been helpful or even the name "Exxel Suisse Sport Mammoth
            Tent" so that I could find it easily.
            Cheers
            Ralph