IR-MOUNTAINSMITH CARBONLITE PRO TREKKING POLES-Frances Penn

  • fpenn@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2013
      http://tinyurl.com/ae4u6te

      MOUNTAINSMITH CARBONLITE PRO TREKKING POLES
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      IR
      January 24, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: fpenn AT sbcglobal DOT net
      AGE: 56
      LOCATION: Costa Mesa, California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 135 lb (61.20 kg)

      I have been backpacking for five years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with one or two 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 28-30 lb (13-14 kg). I am a tent camper and have experienced all night rain, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Mountainsmith
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.mountainsmith.com" LINK TEXT = "www.mountainsmith.com">>
      MSRP: US $69.95
      Listed Weight: 1 lb. 2 oz (51 kg)
      Measured Weight: 1 lb. 2 oz (54 g) excluding rubber tips and baskets
      Color tested: Slate
      Colors available: Slate
      Compact Measurement: 27" (69 cm)
      Extended Measurement: 57" (145 cm)
      Pattern on poles: The poles are black with silver diamond accents with the Mountainsmith name and logo and Carbonlite Pro in the middle of the diamond design

      The Carbonlite Pro trekking poles are lightweight at a little over a pound for both poles. The poles are constructed with a blend of carbon and aircraft grade 7075 aluminum with durable carbide tips. The poles feature ergonomic molded cork grips and adjustable neoprene wrist straps that are widest around the back of the hand. The poles include an anti-shock absorption system and a quick twist locking mechanism to adjust the length of the middle and bottom pole sections.

      The poles include replaceable rubber tips and removable hiking baskets with a 2-pin lock attachment that slide on the poles then twist to lock. Snow baskets are sold separately on the Mountainsmith website.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "poles with removable tips and baskets">>

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The poles arrived wrapped in plastic with a spacer to prevent scratches. The baskets were tied to the wrist straps and the boot tips were on the poles. The finish on the poles was free from defects.

      On the initial adjustment, I noticed the bottom section contained no length markings, only the STOP marking. I extended the bottom portion halfway to the stop mark. The middle section had markings indicating 47 to 57 inches (119 to 145 cm). For my height, I extended the middle section to the 53 inch (135 cm) marking. The adjustable sections twisted easily to unlock. Both sections slid to the desired length easily and then twisted to lock. I had to twist the adjustable sections three times clockwise to lock them but only twice counterclockwise to unlock them.

      The neoprene portion of the adjustable strap feels comfortable wrapped around the back of my hand. It turned out the adjusted length made the end tabs rest on the neoprene portion of the strap. The wrist straps were easy to adjust by pulling on the strap or the end tab. During my initial stroll around the neighborhood, the poles felt comfortable in my hands. The end tab stayed on the neoprene portion of the wrist strap. The cork grips have a slight protrusion that fits between my forefinger and middle finger. My hands did not slide on the grips.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "my grip">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "end tab resting on neoprene portion ot wrist strap">>

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The package insert contained the specifications and features with no instructions on proper operation of the poles. The insert also contained a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

      SUMMARY

      I can't wait to get these poles out on the trail and put them to the test. During hot weather, my hands get sweaty so I will be watching how the neoprene on the wrist straps and the cork grips handle this condition. These poles feel as comfortable as the poles I am currently using so I should have no difficulty adjusting to them.

      Please check back in two months for my Field Report. Thanks to Mountainsmith and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test these lightweight trekking poles.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.