Deleted - Test deletion request: Clif Bars

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
      Hi Lori,

      I have deleted the report.

      Upload the new version now.

      Cheers

      Ralph

      From: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lori Pontious
      Sent: Sunday, 20 January 2013 11:39 AM
      To: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [backpackgeartesters] Test deletion request: Clif Bars

      I'm trying to upload the Clif Kit Bar report and it's not letting me delete
      the last report. Help?

      On Jan 15, 2013, at 7:21 AM, Chari Daignault chari.daignault@...
      <mailto:chari.daignault%40gmail.com> > wrote:

      > Hi Lori!
      >
      > I'm so sorry your report went off into the ether! Egg Nog or no, your
      report was great -- no issues or edits.

      > Please upload it when you're able and please delete the original from the
      TESTS folder.

      <mailto:lori.pontious%40gmail.com> > wrote:
      > Chari,
      >
      > Here is the very late report which I somewhere got the idea I posted in
      December. I had to edit the date from December 15 when I finished it. Since
      I find no trace of it in the test folder I'm at a loss - I don't recall
      taking hallucinogens in December, but I suppose I should buy my own egg nog.

      > http://tinyurl.com/y94sfv
      >
      > Long Term Report
      >
      > Field Data
      >
      > I took some of the bars with me to the Wild Run, a fundraiser for my local
      Search and Rescue team, for which I volunteer. Temperatures were mild,
      ranging from 50 to 70 F (10 - 21 C) during the day. I carried a couple with
      me to snack on while working as trail crew, manning a drink stand, and
      cleaning up after the event.

      > I took some of the bars to a huge group campout at Montana de Oro, a small
      California state park on the coast. I did some hiking and horseback riding.
      I ate the bars at breakfast and used them to snack on during the day. Again,
      temperatures were mild and the weather fair.

      > I took a few bars with me on a 15 mile (24 kilometer) day hike along the
      Pohono Trail on the south rim of Yosemite Valley, in Yosemite National Park,
      California. The weather was clear and temperatures ranged from about 60 - 70
      F (16 - 21 C) over the course of the hike. I ate one midmorning and another
      with lunch.

      > I took some of the bars on an overnight trip with students of a
      backpacking class I taught for the adult school, to Dinkey Lakes Wilderness
      in Sierra National Forest, California. I had them with lunch and with
      breakfast. We hiked about 12 miles (19 kilometers) and had good weather, day
      temperatures in the 60 - 70 F (16 - 21 C) range.

      > I packed three in my bear canister for an overnight at Moose Lake in
      Sequoia National Park, California. They made a good snack and I ate one at
      breakfast with my hot cereal. This was a cross country trip of about 22
      miles (35 kilometers).

      > I took some of the bars to the Little Kern River, an overnight trip
      started in Mineral King and venturing into the Golden Trout Wilderness,
      Sequoia National Forest, California. The weather was wonderful and we had
      temperatures around 60 - 65 F (15 - 18 C). I ate a Cashew bar at Farewell
      Gap and had a Berry for breakfast.

      > Some of the bars were consumed on a difficult (I had a head cold) two
      night trip to Pat Springs. It was very cold at night, and we woke to hard
      frost, ice in the water bottles, and watching our breath clouding in front
      of us as we fought with canister stoves to the sounds of chattering teeth.
      Lows at night were 22 - 28 F (-5 to -2 C) and day temperatures 40 - 55 F (4
      - 13 C).

      > Some of the bars came with me to visit Pine Valley in the Ventana
      Wilderness, in the Los Padres National Forest, California. I had two for
      snacks and had the last one for breakfast. We hiked about 12 miles (19
      kilometers) total. The nighttime low temperature was approximately 45 F (7
      C)

      > Observations
      >
      > These are now my favorite bars - I enjoyed them on every trip. I also took
      a bar on some of the shorter day hikes I haven't mentioned above, and ate a
      few for breakfast when I was in a hurry to get to work.

      > Berry - This flavor is my favorite. I love berries in general, and while I
      have a sweet tooth, I also like a good tart berry - the berry bar made a
      great companion to hot cereal or trail mix.

      > Cashew - It was a toss up between this and the chocolate almond coconut
      for second place. I thought this was another great alternative to sweeter
      trail treats. It made a good snack between meals, and a great addition to
      lunch, usually as a dessert.

      > IMAGE
      > Chocolate Almond Coconut - I liked this flavor a lot. Just enough
      chocolate to satisfy the chocolate freak in me, and I also enjoy almonds and
      coconut on their own. I wish there had been a bit more coconut in this bar,
      maybe a powdering of coconut shreds on the top. I had this one for dessert
      at lunch and dinner a few times.

      > Peanut Butter - I burned out on peanut butter a long time ago, and while I
      still eat it from time to time, it's never my first choice. I had a lot of
      this bar left after all the others were gone. I have to say that it was a
      more tolerable way to eat peanut butter, and even though I haven't taken
      peanut butter sandwiches in years, I did eat and enjoy all these bars.
      Usually they were a lunch or snack item.

      > Most of the trips I was not eating the bars in extreme temperatures. The
      exception was my backpacking trip to Pat Springs. The bars were hung in the
      food bag at night, and eaten for lunch on the second and third day. They
      were only a little cold to the touch - as was everything else at that point
      - and didn't seem to be frozen or affected by the below-freezing night
      temperature.

      > Overall, the process of reviewing Kit's Organic Fruit and Nut Bars was, in
      a word, yummy. I'm likely to be looking for my favorites by the box soon.