FR - GSI Glacier Stainless Kettle - K Montovan

  • Katie Sullivan Montovan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 18, 2013
      Hi Lori,

      Sorry for the delay on my Field Report. I have made it through a rough few
      weeks and am setting into another few busy weeks... I look forward to your
      edits and to the next 2 months of this test. This is a nice little kettle.

      My test report is in the test folder: http://tinyurl.com/aj8twls, and the
      text version is below.

      Thanks!
      -Katie

      FIELD REPORT
      Field Locations and Conditions:

      2 night car camping trip to Stillwater Resevoir in the Western Adirondacks.
      Conditions: between 50 and 65 F (10 to 18 C), sunny and dry.

      3 hiking/snowshoeing day trips near Ithaca, New York where the kettle was
      used for hot drinks at lunch. Conditions included rain, snow, sun, wind,
      with temperatures between 20 F and 60 F (-7 to 16 C)

      Performance in the Field:

      I am not a coffee drinker, nor do I usually use rehydrated meals when I am
      on the trail, but I do seriously love peppermint tea in the morning, at
      lunch, and before bed. I have been searching for a nice little teapot for a
      while but could never quite justify buying one and packing the extra weight
      since I could easily heat water in my pot. But I have found that when I
      would really like to make hot drinks, there is usually food in my pot
      (either ready to be eaten, or cooking), and that I really do need to carry
      along something extra to use for heating water since it is such an
      important part of my happiness on the trail.

      For this purpose I have been thoroughly impressed by the GSI Glacier
      Kettle. It is a sturdy kettle that has held up well to the abuses of trail
      use. The handle is very nicely designed. It clicks fairly securely into
      place, but is easy to move out of the way if the kettle is sitting on a
      surface. So far in this test I have only used the tea kettle over my
      homemade alcohol stove. I have found that the water boils swiftly, the
      handle stays cool enough to pick up with my bare hands, and that even
      excitedly boiling water pours smoothly out of the kettle. I have not had a
      need to remove the lid while the kettle is on the stove or is hot, so I
      cannot speak to the difficulty of removing the lid, but testing it while
      cool I notice that the loop on the lid is small and if the lid is lifted
      straight up, then it catches on the handle (possible a design feature to
      prevent the lid from falling off while pouring). Either way, I generally
      don't need to remove the lid while the kettle is hot, and have not had the
      lid fall off during use yet.

      My alcohol stove has left a patina (brownish tint) on the bottom that is
      not removed by simple washing, but also does not rub off onto me or other
      gear. It does not show any signs of damage from being packed with my
      camping gear or in my day pack, and is sturdy enough to not need special
      care during packing. I really like the stainless steel because it is easy
      to care for, durable, and shiny. With my non-stick pots I always worry
      about denting them in my pack or scratching them with what I put inside,
      and it is nice to just not have to worry about any of these things with
      this kettle.
      Likes:
      * Sturdy Construction
      * Handle locks up but is easy to put down when needed
      * Pours well without any drips
      * Handle stays cool
      * Cleans up well

      Dislikes:
      * Nothing so far

      The GSI Glacier Kettle (hereafter the "kettle or the "tea kettle") has been
      very fun to test. It has performed beautifully and convinced me that a tea
      kettle is in fact an important enough piece of gear to be worth the weight
      in my pack. In the next phase of my testing I will find opportunities to
      test the kettle with a backpacking wood stove, a white gas stove, and over
      an open fire. Please check back in late March for my long term report.

      Thank you to GSI Outdoors and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to
      test the GSI Glacier Kettle.

    • Lori Pontious
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2013
        Hi Katie,

        The only thing I could find to edit was in the summary. The "hereafter" statement in parentheses doesn't need to be in the summary.

        I'm sure you know the drill by now. Happy hiking.

        Lori
      • sull0294
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20, 2013
          Thanks for catching that miscopy problem Lori! I have fixed the problem and am ready to upload.

          Can a moderator please delete the IR so that I can upload the LTR? Here is a link to the folder on BackpackGearTest:
          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/GSI%20Glacier%20Stainless%20Tea%20Kettle/

          Thanks!
          Katie

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Lori Pontious wrote:

          > Hi Katie,
          >
          > The only thing I could find to edit was in the summary. The "hereafter" statement in parentheses doesn't need to be in the summary.
          >
          > I'm sure you know the drill by now. Happy hiking.
          >
          > Lori

        • Ralph Ditton
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
            Done Katie.

            Upload and make sure you delete the test copy.

            Ralph