Re: [backpackgeartesters] It's ORWM 2013 TIME!

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
      "Yes, I will apply for winter backpacking gear."

      ~derek

      On Jan 18, 2013, at 8:04 AM, Kathy Waters <kathy@...> wrote:

      > John and I (and the rest of the OR team) are headed, once again, to that
      > mecca of outdoor gear junkies known as the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market
      > where we will be previewing "what's new" for winter 2013-2014.
      >

      > I'm looking for a quick show of hands of those of you who actively backpack,
      > base/car camp or dayhike (not hour-long strolls with the kids, but DAY
      > hikes) in the winter and would be interested in applying for winter
      > backpacking gear.
      >

      > Since I am really pressed for time this weekend before ORWM starts, please
      > help me out with quick, short responses. You needn't respond with why you
      > don't winter backpack or that you wish you could winter backpack, just a
      > quick "yes, I will apply for winter backpacking gear" or "yes, I will apply
      > for winter camping gear, " OK? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much
      > product we should sign up.
      >

      > Thanks for all of you!
      >
      > Kathy

    • Ray
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
        Asolutely! (Frostbitten hand in the frigid air.)

        Ray

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters" wrote:

        > John and I (and the rest of the OR team) are headed, once again, to that
        > mecca of outdoor gear junkies known as the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market
        > where we will be previewing "what's new" for winter 2013-2014.
        >

        > I'm looking for a quick show of hands of those of you who actively backpack,
        > base/car camp or dayhike (not hour-long strolls with the kids, but DAY
        > hikes) in the winter and would be interested in applying for winter
        > backpacking gear.
        >

        > Since I am really pressed for time this weekend before ORWM starts, please
        > help me out with quick, short responses. You needn't respond with why you
        > don't winter backpack or that you wish you could winter backpack, just a
        > quick "yes, I will apply for winter backpacking gear" or "yes, I will apply
        > for winter camping gear, " OK? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much
        > product we should sign up.
        >

        > Thanks for all of you!
        >
        > Kathy

      • Brian Hartman
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
          Safe travels Kathy...  and count me in as well for winter gear.

          Brian

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
            Count me as a YES for applying for winter gear!
            Theresa

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
              Yes I do winter backpacks leading groups of newbies but it is the wrong
              season for you. It is winter here but summer in the US. My start of winter
              is only 4 months away.

              Ralph

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
                Count me in for winter gear.

                Ryan
              • Lori Pontious
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
                  I am backpacking in winter - going for a SAR training in the snow tomorrow - and have an overnight or two planned before the melt starts in April-ish.

                  However, I have been slammed to the mat with work drama and more work, resulting in lateness all around in personal stuff (you don't want to know what the house looks like!) and reviews. I am valiantly attempting to get back on top of things tho.

                  Lori

                  On Jan 18, 2013, at 4:16 PM, Ralph Ditton <rdassets@...> wrote:

                  > Yes I do winter backpacks leading groups of newbies but it is the wrong
                  > season for you. It is winter here but summer in the US. My start of winter
                  > is only 4 months away.
                  >
                  > Ralph

                • woodswoman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 18, 2013
                    Yes..winter backpacking and dayhiking

                    ***Gail***

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 19, 2013
                      > It is winter here but summer in the US. My start of winter
                      > is only 4 months away.
                      > Ralph
                      I'm with Ralph - very interested, but a problem with the seasons.
                      It was 45.8 C here a couple of days ago.

                      Cheers
                    • Jamie D.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 19, 2013
                        We don't have winter in Phoenix, so yes, I dayhike 4-5 days a week all winter. Would love to test something.

                        Jamie DeBenedetto
                      • Coy Boy
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 19, 2013
                          I will be day hiking all winter long. also a few overnights when I can squeeze them in.

                          Coy Boy
                          PS also riding my road and mtb in the winter. I know it's not backpacking but it can show versatility in gear.

                          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters" wrote:

                          > John and I (and the rest of the OR team) are headed, once again, to that
                          > mecca of outdoor gear junkies known as the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market
                          > where we will be previewing "what's new" for winter 2013-2014.
                          >

                          > I'm looking for a quick show of hands of those of you who actively backpack,
                          > base/car camp or dayhike (not hour-long strolls with the kids, but DAY
                          > hikes) in the winter and would be interested in applying for winter
                          > backpacking gear.
                          >

                          > Since I am really pressed for time this weekend before ORWM starts, please
                          > help me out with quick, short responses. You needn't respond with why you
                          > don't winter backpack or that you wish you could winter backpack, just a
                          > quick "yes, I will apply for winter backpacking gear" or "yes, I will apply
                          > for winter camping gear, " OK? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much
                          > product we should sign up.
                          >

                          > Thanks for all of you!
                          >
                          > Kathy

                        • Mark Thompson
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 20, 2013
                            Sorry for the late response, I was out playing in the woods.  Mt Audubon yesterday (12 miles, 3,000'+ elevation gain, summit at 13,200) and ice climbing today at Hidden Falls, Rocky Mtn National Park.

                            so, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 21, 2013
                              Well, do you count "winter" in South Carolina? :-) I take that back... Two years ago it snowed three times here! I will be taking lots of day hikes and a couple of backpacking trips. I will also be riding my bike (not bp, but still weather related).

                              Dawn

                              --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters" wrote:

                              > John and I (and the rest of the OR team) are headed, once again, to that
                              > mecca of outdoor gear junkies known as the Outdoor Retailer Winter Market
                              > where we will be previewing "what's new" for winter 2013-2014.
                              >

                              > I'm looking for a quick show of hands of those of you who actively backpack,
                              > base/car camp or dayhike (not hour-long strolls with the kids, but DAY
                              > hikes) in the winter and would be interested in applying for winter
                              > backpacking gear.
                              >

                              > Since I am really pressed for time this weekend before ORWM starts, please
                              > help me out with quick, short responses. You needn't respond with why you
                              > don't winter backpack or that you wish you could winter backpack, just a
                              > quick "yes, I will apply for winter backpacking gear" or "yes, I will apply
                              > for winter camping gear, " OK? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much
                              > product we should sign up.
                              >

                              > Thanks for all of you!
                              >
                              > Kathy

                            • cdaignault
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 22, 2013
                                I'm with Jamie (not physically -- but Florida doesn't have much of a winter either).

                                -- Chari