LTR - Ahnu Mendocino Boots - Dave Wyman

  • Dave Wyman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2013
      Yep. It's a little late. And that's an understatement. I've already
      apologized to Kathy, but I also apologize to the rest of you.

      Here is the URL:

      http://tinyurl.com/LTR-Ahnu-DW

      Here is the text:

      Long Term Report - January 17, 2013

      Trips Taken

      Over the last few months, I was able to get in five overnight trips, all
      in the Raccoon Creek State Park. The trips were all in the 8 mi to 16 mi
      (13 km to 26 km) range. Temperatures for four of the trips were in the
      10s to 30s F (-10C to 0C) with one trip having a much warmer temperature
      span of 30F to almost 60F (-1C to 16C). I was lucky on all four trips to
      avoid any rain or snow though on the warmer trip, I did have to deal
      with quite a bit of mud.

      Thoughts and Impressions

      These boots continue to impress me overall. They do a very good job
      keeping water, moisture, and dirt out. Despite walking through
      accumulated snow on the ground on several trips and quite a bit of mud
      on one very warm trip, my feet did not get soaked or dirty. The only
      downside is that they also continued to retain quite a bit of moisture
      inside as well. My feet were often a bit damp after hiking which
      required me to carry an extra pair or two of socks so I could keep
      rotating a dry pair on to my feet.

      The best part, however, was how comfortable these boots continue to be.
      Long hikes, short hikes, regular use around town - they work fine in all
      of those conditions. A lot of boots I've tried have caused blistering on
      the back of my heel or on the balls of my feet. I haven't had that
      happen yet with these boots. And that's awesome!

      They've also proven themselves as decent boots for fairly cold weather,
      as long as you're moving. Hiking in colder temperatures with a pair of
      wool socks and silk liners kept my feet toasty. I did notice that if I
      stopped moving for a while, the boots let my feet cool off more than I'd
      like. I usually had a pair of down-filled camp shoes to put on so it was
      never an issue, but I wouldn't want to have these as my only footwear in
      the winter.

      I will definitely continue to use these boots for a long time and look
      forward to trying other items from Ahnu.

      Summary

      Likes
      Nice contrast between classic upper and aggressive lower
      Easiest footwear I've ever broken in
      Very waterproof
      Stays warm enough in cold weather while your're hiking
      Very comfortable, even on long trips
      Dislikes
      Not as breathable as I would have hoped

      Thanks to BackpackGearTest.org and Ahnu for this opportunity.
    • Ralph Ditton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2013
        Welcome back Dave.

        One little edit that I can find.

        In “Likes”

        Stays warm enough in cold weather while your're hiking

        Should be “you’re”

        I would like to see some comment on how the laces performed. I always have problems with laces becoming undone and on some boots the outer sheath becoming separated from the core of the lace leading to bunching of the outer sheath towards the ends of the laces. Did you experience any of these issues?

        Upload at will and delete the test copy.

        Ralph

      • Kerri Larkin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
          Yes! I love winter camping, even if it doesn't snow here

          Kerri