Repost - IR - Honey Stinger Blueberry Bar - Erin Foudy

  • erinfoudy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2013
      Hi Bob,

      Sorry, I noticed a couple errors on the last version of my HTML so I made a couple edits and re-uploaded to the test folder. Sorry for the duplicate posts!

      Erin

      HTML can be found at: http://tinyurl.com/bbqbbev

      Honey Stinger Blueberry Buzz Bar
      Test Series By Erin Foudy
      Initial Report
      January 13, 2013

      Tester Info:
      Name: Erin Foudy
      Age: 31
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'11'' (1.8 m)
      Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)
      Email address: erinfoudyATyahooDOTcom
      City, State, Country: Tucson, Arizona, USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I started backpacking while working for the National Park service ten years ago.
      I have been a backcountry ranger/law enforcement ranger and served on search and
      rescue crews. I typically take two or more camping trips a month, year round.
      I appreciate light weight, but am not obsessed by it. I often carry a 30 lb (14
      kg) pack and stay out from three to nine days at a time. I also enjoy day trips
      with only water on my back. I take trips to Colorado and Montana in the
      summertime and enjoy the outdoors there as well.

      Product Information and Specifications:

      Manufacturer: Honey Stinger
      Product Name: Blueberry Buzz
      MSRP: $1.69 US Single Bar
      $25.35 US Box of 15
      $273.78 US 12 Box Case
      Listed Weight: 1.75oz (50g)
      Measured Weight: 1.82oz (52g) in wrapper
      Year Manufactured: 2012
      Best Buy Date: March 18, 2014 as marked on wrapper

      Product Description:
      The Honey Stinger Blueberry Buzz Energy Bar (hereafter referred to as the bar or
      Blueberry Buzz) is marketed by the manufacturer as having a new formula and as
      their newest energy bar. The Honey Stinger website claims all of their energy
      bars are made with over 30% honey, 20% of the daily recommended allowance of
      protein, 22 vitamins and minerals, calcium, antioxidants, and natural flavors.
      The wrapper the bar comes in claims 23 vitamins and minerals as apposed to the
      22 vitamins and minerals advertised on the Honey Stinger website. I am assuming
      this has to do with the Blueberry Buzz's new formula, all of the other energy
      bars did in fact have 22 vitamins and minerals listed whereas the Blueberry Buzz
      listed 23.

      The Blueberry Buzz energy bar is a chewy, dark colored bar with a yogurt coating
      on the bottom half. The bar has a sweet, berry flavor, and is intended to be a
      healthy, natural snack or as a way to maintain energy during physical activity.

      Nutrition Facts:

      Serving Size 1 bar
      Calories 170
      Fat Calories 30

      Amount/Serving %Daily Value
      Total Fat 5g 8%
      Sat Fat 2g 8%
      Trans Fat 0g
      Monosat Fat 0.5g
      Sodium 160mg 7%
      Potassium 130mg 4%
      Total Carb 30g 9%
      Cholesterol 0mg 0%
      Fiber 1g 6%
      Sugars 20g
      Other Carb 8g
      Protein 5g 10%

      Vitamins and Minerals
      Vitamin A 20%
      Vitamin D 15%
      Vitamin E 15%
      Vitamin C 25%
      Thiamine 35%
      Riboflavin 30%
      Niacin 45%
      Vitamin B6 25%
      Folacin 25%
      Vitamin B12 5%
      Pantothenate 20%
      Biotin 15%
      Calcium 30%
      Phosphorus 30%
      Magnesium 15%
      Iron 15%
      Zinc 25%
      Iodide 40%
      Copper 25%
      Manganese 70%
      Selenium 20%
      Chromium 10%
      Molybdenum 30%

      Ingredients
      Honey Stinger™ (Honey, Sea Salt, Water), Almonds, Crisped Rice (Sugar, Salt,
      Malt), Blueberries (Blueberries, Apple Juice, Sunflower Oil), Yogurt Coating
      (Sugar, Palm Kernel Oil, Yogurt Powder [Cultured Whey Protein Concentrate,
      Cultured Skim Milk, Yogurt Culture], Non-Fat Dry Milk Solids, Soya Lecithin (an
      emulsifier)], Soy Protein Isolate, Vitamins and Minerals, Rolled Oats, Natural
      Flavor

      Allergens: Soy, Milk and Tree Nuts

      May Contain: Peanut, Wheat and Eggs

      Initial Impressions:
      So far I have tried one of the bars, they are a little sweet for my liking but
      not bad. I typically choose salty over sweet when I purchase energy bars. I
      did really like how chewy and soft the bar was without being messy. The yogurt
      coating offers a nice contrast to the rougher texture of the main bar. I do
      wonder though if in the hotter temperatures of southern Arizona if the yogurt
      coating will melt. A sticky melted bar can be annoying to eat, especially when
      it makes your hands sticky and there isn't much water to wash up with. This is
      something I will be sure to report back on in my long-term report. Other than
      my worry over the possibility of a melted energy bar I don't have any other
      concerns with this bar. The ingredient list looks great, there isn't anything
      that causes me to worry about what I am putting into my body. In addition, I
      like the idea of natural energy; yogurt, honey, and almonds are all found in the
      ingredient list and are all sources of natural energy.

      bottom. The bar has 23 minerals and vitamins as well as calcium, protein, and
      is over 30% honey. I look forward to testing this bar in the field for how well
      it keeps me going.

      This concludes my Initial Report. ease check back in a few months for my
      Long-Term Report. Many thanks to Honey Stinger and BackpackGearTest.org for
      allowing me to participate in this test.
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2013
        Hi Erin,

        Good report and the HTML looks fine with one minor exception. Just one quick edit and you are good to upload.

        All the best,
        Bob