Edit: LTR - Exxel K2 Sleeping Bag - Alex Legg

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2013
      Hey, Alex. Here's your edits, as always EDIT=must, edit=optional,
      comment=editorializing.

      On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM, alexander legg <alexlegg2@...> wrote:
      > I used the K2 Sleeping bag on a few car camping excursions with family and friends, they locations are written below.

      EDIT: "friends, location descriptions follow" or the like

      > I slept in the K2 on an overnight trip to the Santa Rita mountains in Coronado National Forest for New Years Eve. The tent was set up at 4,500 ft (1,370 m). The temperature ranged from 15 F to 45 F (-9 C to 7 C).

      edit: "tent" looks like it might be a cut-and-paste error in this
      context, especially given the following sentence. Maybe "I slept in
      the bag at 4,500 ft"?

      > I also used the K2 tent on an overnight trip to Happy Valley in the Rincon Mountain District of Saguaro National Park.

      EDIT: K2 bag

      > The K2 bag is still comfortable and warm unless the temperature gets down below 20 F.

      EDIT: degrees C conversion

      > I still done't like that the mummy hood does not cinch down

      EDIT: I still dislike that... (typo + avoid double use of "do(es) not"

      > ...have us both under the same coverage as a pose to being in separate sleeping bags.

      EDIT: as opposed to

      > It will most likely become one of the bags that I keep in my gear closet and loan to friends who are going car camping and need a sleeping bag. It is not that the K2 is not a decent bag, it is just that I have better and more reliable bags that I would rather pack into my vehicle for a trip.

      edit: possible future loaning to friends and comparing to your other
      bags is probably a little "too much information". I'd avoid
      speculation about future activities and stick to the facts.

      > The cold walk to the truck to fetch my warmer sleeping bag has kind of turned me off from this bag. I like to be sure that I have gear that will work just as I like to have tools that I know will work. It just makes sense to be prepared to be comfortable with a more reliable source of warmth.

      edit: is "reliable source" the clearest way to phrase this? The bag
      didn't actually malfunction, it just doesn't seem to stack up to its
      temperature rating in your experience.

      > I think that the K2 is a decent car camping type bag, but definitely not for backpacking due to its size and weight. It will unfortunately live most of its days in my gear closet unless a friend is in meed of a sleeping bag to borrow. I do like this bag, but not my favorite and not the most reliable.

      comment: from the specs I wouldn't disagree, but you didn't really
      mention in your report any experiences with getting the bag to fit in
      a pack nor the weight of carrying it. Nothing wrong with a negative
      report, but always good to back up the critical comments with the
      details of our experiences. If you could add some of those details it
      would strengthen your conclusions.

      > Things I don't like:
      > 1. Unreliable warmth

      edit: see note above on "reliability"

      If its OK with you, I'd like to have one more look at this after you
      make your edits and before you post. Too bad this bag didn't work out
      better for you, but at least you were well-prepared on your trips!

      --Kurt
    • alex
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2013
        Kurt,

        Thank you for your time editing my report. I have made corrections and have uploaded to the test folder on the BGT site. I hope this one is a bit better, I admit this was not my best report. Feel free to edit away. I have no problem reworking more if you see it necessary. Thanks again,

        -Alex Legg

        The HTML link is at:

        http://tinyurl.com/anprsao

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Kurt Papke wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > comment: from the specs I wouldn't disagree, but you didn't really
        > mention in your report any experiences with getting the bag to fit in
        > a pack nor the weight of carrying it. Nothing wrong with a negative
        > report, but always good to back up the critical comments with the
        > details of our experiences. If you could add some of those details it
        > would strengthen your conclusions.
        >
        > > Things I don't like:
        > > 1. Unreliable warmth
        >
        > edit: see note above on "reliability"
        >
        > If its OK with you, I'd like to have one more look at this after you
        > make your edits and before you post. Too bad this bag didn't work out
        > better for you, but at least you were well-prepared on your trips!

      • Kurt
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2013
          Much improved! Go ahead and upload, and don't forget to delete from the Test folder.

          Thanks for your persistence in working with this bag for the last four months.

          Best regards,
          --Kurt