LTR - High Sierra Titan 65 Pack - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2013
      Happy New Year James! I hope you enjoy editing my report, it's been an exciting test series, thank you.

      Here is the html: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20High%20Sierra%20Titan%2065%20Pack%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      And here is the text:

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      Long-Term Test Locations and Conditions

      I have brought the Titan on two more overnight trips in December and January. The conditions represented winter in the Canadian Rockies near Banff, Alberta and Sparwood, British Columbia. They were both overnight ski-tours with lows of -13 C (9 F) and highs of -11 (12 F) on the most recent trip and -5 C (23 F) to -3 C (26 F) on the earlier trip. There was lots of snow, great for ski-touring, no precipitation, just clear skies. The average elevation gain to camp on skis was about 700 m (2297 ft) on either trip. Highest elevation encountered was 2620m (8596 ft).

      Performance In The Field

      Using the Titan as a winter pack has been very positive. The front hinge pocket has proved to be a useful space for storing avalanche gear (shovel and probe) and ski-touring skins. The top lid while I found too large during the field report actually performed very well with my winter pack. Where before I had found the pack too voluminous to hold its shape causing all sorts of problems, this time I had no such issues filling it with my winter gear. I had space for a -30 C (-22 F) down sleeping bag, extra warm layers, four season tent, stove, sleeping mat, food and water. I stored water in two 1L bottles inside my pack instead of the hydration pack only because I've had some issues with my hose freezing in the past.  The zippered pocket attached to the hinged pocket was great for extra gloves or stored my wet used ones. The hip belt pockets were big enough to hold my gloves and beanie when I got too hot skinning up hill, all while still holding my camera,
      snack bars, knife and other handy odds and ends.

      The fit continues to improve the more I use it, I would even say there was a definite break-in period. All the straps and buckles still function. Nothing has ripped since the field report. I still see the threads being pulled under strain at the top of the shoulder straps. While this makes me nervous it has not let go, though I feel the gap is increasing and there is a loose thread. I'm not sure if it can be seen clearly in my photo. The photo was taken without any weight in the pack.

      Summary

      Overall I've been happy with the pack. I've used this pack in summer, fall and winter conditions and feel it is best suited for winter. It's large volume main compartment and various pockets on the outside accommodate accessibility during winter conditions for all sorts of winter needs. I rarely needed to fish inside my pack for delayering and layering in the varying conditions because of all the external pockets. When the pack isn't being used to full volume I have a system that works to strap the top lid to the back of the pack overlapping the hinge pocket (shown in above photo). This works well for hiking around after camp has been set up and all the heavy stuff has been unpacked. To date I have not felt any advantages with its thermoregulating back panel design. The pack has endured cold and wet weather and has so far stood up, keeping contents dry and protected. I still have some reservations for durability with loose threads and pulled stitching,
      though nothing has come undone. Going forward I plan to continue using this pack as my winter overnight backpack.

      PROS
      - I've decided the pack is comfortable it just needs a break-in period
      - Accommodates winter accessories (avalanche gear, ski-touring skins)
      - Lots of volume for winter gear (large down sleeping bag, etc.)
      - Large, functional accessory pockets on the hip belt (these really are great)
      - Removable media pocket on the shoulder strap (fits a personal locater beacon perfectly)
      - Hydration compatible

      CONS
      - Loose and pulled threads (no stitching has actually failed on this test series)
      - No built-in whistle (I forgot to add my own on a couple of trips)

      Thank you High Sierra and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test such an interesting pack.
    • jetriple
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2013
        > Happy New Year James! I hope you enjoy editing my report, it's been
        > an exciting test series, thank you.
        >
        > Here is the html:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/LTR%20-%20High%20Sierra%20Titan%2065%20Pack%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

        Hi Theresa! Happy New Year to you as well...

        Thank you for your long term report on the High Sierra Titan 65 Backpack!
        It sounds like it ended up working out well for you.

        I have a few edits for you to consider below. When you are satisfied with
        any changes you make, please upload the new combined report to the proper
        folder, and also please delete the copy in the test folder.

        It has been a pleasure working with you on this series. Best wishes for
        the new year.

        James Triplett
        High Sierra Titan 65 Pack Monitor

        ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

        They were both overnight ski-tours with lows of -13 C (9 F) and highs of
        -11 (12 F) on the most recent trip
        [EDIT] Need the 'C' after '-11'

        and -5 C (23 F) to -3 C (26 F) on the earlier trip.
        [EDIT] -3 C is closer to 27 F.

        Highest elevation encountered was 2620m (8596 ft).
        [EDIT] Need a space between '2620' and 'm'.

        The top lid while I found too large during the field report actually
        performed very well with my winter pack.
        [Comment] Consider changing 'while' to 'which'.

        The hip belt pockets were big enough to hold my gloves and beanie when I
        got too hot skinning up hill, all while still holding my camera, snack
        bars, knife and other handy odds and ends.
        [Comment] "skinning" or "skiing"? Could be either? just checking.

        It's large volume main compartment and various pockets on the outside
        accommodate accessibility during winter conditions for all sorts of winter
        needs.
        [EDIT] 'It's' should be 'Its'.

      • Theresa Lawrence
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 13, 2013
          Thank you James, all fixed and uploaded and deleted.
          Cheers, Theresa

          ________________________________
          on the  High Sierra Titan 65 Backpack!  It sounds like it ended
          up working out well for you.

          I have a few edits for you to consider
          below.  When you are satisfied with any changes you make, please upload
          the new combined report to the proper folder, and also please delete the
          copy in the test folder.

          It has been a pleasure working with
          you on this series.  Best wishes for the new year.

          James Triplett
          High Sierra Titan 65 Pack Monitor

          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

          They were both overnight ski-tours with
          lows of -13 C (9 F) and highs of -11 (12 F) on the most recent trip
          [EDIT]  Need the 'C' after '-11'

          and -5 C (23 F) to -3 C (26 F) on the
          earlier trip.
          [EDIT]  -3 C is closer to  27
          F.

          Highest elevation encountered was 2620m
          (8596 ft).
          [EDIT]  Need a space between '2620'
          and 'm'.

          The top lid while I found too large
          during the field report actually performed very well with my winter pack.
          [Comment]  Consider changing 'while'
          to 'which'.

          The hip belt pockets were big enough
          to hold my gloves and beanie when I got too hot skinning up hill, all while
          still holding my camera, snack bars, knife and other handy odds and ends.

          [Comment]  "skinning"
          or "skiing"?  Could be either… just checking.

          It's large volume main compartment and
          various pockets on the outside accommodate accessibility during winter
          conditions for all sorts of winter needs.
          [EDIT]  'It's' should be 'Its'.