REPOST IR-Wolverine Gauge Boots-Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
      Hi Brett,

      Sorry I accidentally delete the first Test Folder. Here's a new link.

      Mike

      http://tinyurl.com/ao7ht2q

      WOLVERINE GAUGE BOOTS
      TEST SERIES BY MIKE PEARL
      IR
      December 12, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mike Pearl
      EMAIL: mikepearl36ATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 38
      LOCATION: Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 155 lb (70.30 kg)

      I have a great appreciation for the outdoors and get out at every opportunity. I am a three-season backpacker and year round hiker. Currently, my trips are two to three days long as well as an annual week-long trip. I utilize the abundant trail shelters in my locale and pack a backup tarp-tent. I like to cover big distances while still taking in the views. I have lightweight leanings but function and reliability are the priority. I mostly travel woodland mountain terrain but enjoy hiking beautiful trails anywhere.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Wolverine World Wide Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <http://www.wolverine.com" LINK TEXT = "www.wolverine.com">> < >
      MSRP: US $170.00

      Listed Weight: Not Listed
      Measured Weight: 3 lb 6 oz (1.5 kg)

      Colors Available: Black or Brown
      Color Tested: Brown
      Sizes Available: 7-14, some select half sizes
      Size Tested: 8

      Details from Company Website:
      -Molded TPU
      -Abrasion resistant mesh and waterproof Americana leather upper
      -Wave mesh lining with waterproof membrane
      -400 grams of 3M Thinsulate Ultra insulation
      -PESU II EVA with NXT odor control sockliner
      -Compression molded EVA midsole
      -Dual density rubber lug outsole
      -Cement construction

      Additional details from pamphlet included with boots.
      -Divided lacing system for custom fit
      -Articulated eyelets increases comfort and control
      -Velocity coated toe protects from abrasive surfaces
      -Wide outsole pads at the ball of the foot and deep lug for traction
      -Lightweight and flexible V-Frame exoskeleton increases stability and durability
      -Dual compound outsole for durability and reliable traction on snow and ice

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Gauge Boots arrived in the typical style shoe box. The boots look rugged and substantial but not bulky. They appear well made without any visual imperfections in construction. The materials are balanced and blend together well. < >

      The Gauge Boots are a part of Wolverines Velocity Series. These boot feature Wolverines V-Frame exoskeleton. This is the coating that covers the toe and sides of the forefoot of the boot. The Gauge includes two winter hiking specific features. A gaiter loop at the base of the laces. And a heel cleat to assist in the attaching of snow shoes.

      These are a taller, over the ankle boot. Wolverine list them as 8 in (20 cm), which I measured from the insole to the top of the ankle. The boots are waterproof and insulated for a comfort rating of 40 below. The Gauge Boots are made of three materials. The toe and forefoot are a combination of breathable mesh and the V-Frame exoskeleton. The remainder is a combination of breathable mesh and leather. The insole is removable and is treated with CLEAN NXT odor control. After an internet search I found the CLEAN NXT is a biotechnology using a microbe and enzyme that eliminates odors. The upper of the boot is cemented to the < >sole. The midsole has memory foam feel to it. It gives slightly when compressed and instantly returns when released. The sole consist of two different tread patterns with two different densities. The placement of each designed to increase traction on surfaces with variable
      conditions. The red colored tread is the softer of the two. The lacing system is divided into three parts. Three eyelets at the forefoot, one at the ankle and three above the ankle. The eyelets at the ankle can pivot in the head to toe direction. The eyelet at the ankle is fixed. The eyelets at the foot move head to toe as well as left to right.
      The flexibility of the eyelets is interesting. I have worn boots that one eyelet created a pressure point due to location. I wonder if this design will allow for a more user specific fit.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Sliding my foot into the Gauge Boots I am surprised by the eyelets all the way to the top. I am still able to get in and out without a problem, so no issues. Pulling the laces tight, the boot feels nice around my foot. The height of the boot is obvious but not overly restrictive. But my first step reveals trouble. My heel easily slides up and down. My shoe size 99% of the time is a size 9. However the Gauge Boot is the 1% exception. The size 9 I received was too big for me. The boots look great in every other way. I was disappointed not to be able to get outside with them right away.

      I contacted Customer Service and was quickly and courteously assisted. Replacement boots were ordered on the spot. The temperature is dropping outside and these boots have my feet feeling toasty sitting inside. I eagerly await the next pair of boots.

      SUMMARY

      The Wolverine Gauge Boots look and feel like a great cold weather boot. I am especially excited about the winter specific features. These boots are the first I have worn with a gaiter loop, heel cleat and dual-compound outersole. I am intrigued to see how useful these features prove to be in the field.

      This completes my Initial Report. Please return in two months for the Field Report. My thanks to Wolverine and BackpackGearTest.org for the opprotunity to test the Gauge Boots.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
        Mike, I don't see a monitor assigned to this one yet, I am just the call manager ;-) I'll be happy to edit it if BridGet can't find somebody!

        Brett Haydin

        "Teamwork: It's amazing how much
        can be accomplished when no one
        cares who gets the credit."

        To: BackpackGearTesters@yahoogroups.com
        CC: bhaydin@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
          Brett,

          Sorry about that. Guess being late made me a little too jumpy when bouncing between web pages.

          I am more than happy to wait as I expect the new size boots this week.

          -Mike