LTR - HooRag - Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2013
      Hi Nancy,

      Here's one for a role reversal, a report for a report.  Text and link to my report.
      Thank you for your edits.

      Mike

      http://tinyurl.com/az4on4x

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Storrs Pond Recreation Area, New Hampshire - 8 mi (13 km) to 400 ft (122 m), 83 F (28 C) clear and calm

      Balch Hill, New Hampshire - 2.5 mi (4 km) / 950 ft (290 m), 85 F (29 C) and sunny

      The Pemi Loop, Pemiwagesset Wilderness, New Hampshire four days, three nights
      32.5 mi (52 km) loop with a cumulative gain of 9760 ft (2975 m). Temperatures a low of 40 F (4 C) and a high of 80 F (27 C). Mostly sunny with light winds on the exposed peaks and one major downpour.

      Giles Mountain, Vermont - 3 mi (4.8 km) to 1873 ft (571 m), 76 F (24 C) and cloudy

      Trail Maintenance Appalachian Trail, Vermont - 2.2 mi (3.5 km) to 1295 ft (395 m) cloudy intermittent light rain

      Velvet Rocks, New Hampshire - 5.2 mi (8 km) to 1243 ft (379 m) on the Appalachian Trail, 66 F (19 C) mostly sunny

      Camels Hump, Vermont - 18 mi (29 km) to 4081 ft (1244 m) with 3963 ft (1208 m) gained in 5.1 mi (8 m), 60 F (15.5 C) mostly cloudy with a few breaks of sunshine
      Moose Mountain (South Peak), New Hampshire - 10 mi (16 km) to 2300 ft (701 m), 32 warming to 36 F (0 to 2.2 C) with mixed precipitation changing to all rain

      Mt. Ascutney, Vermont - 6 mi (9.5 km) to 3144 ft (958 m), 30 F (-1 C) very sunny and windy where exposed

      Pine Park / Girl Brook, New Hampshire - 6 mi (9.5 km) 600 to 400 ft (180 to 120 m), 25 F ( -4 C) with a dusting of snow and windy

      Farnum Hill, New Hampshire - 8 mi (13 km) to 1336 ft (407 m), 30 F (-1 C) periods of light snow

      Moose Mountain (Ridge Trail), New Hampshire - 12 mi (19 km) to 1800 ft (550 m), 28 warming to 35 F (-2.2 to 1.7 F) snow turning to rain with gusting winds

      Pine Park / Girl Brook, New Hampshire - 10 mi (16 km) 600 to 400 ft (180 to 120 m), 30 F (-1 C) and snowing

      Pine Park / Girl Brook, New Hampshire - 5 mi (8 km) 600 to 400 ft (180 to 120 m), 18 F (-8 C) with gusty winds and sunshine

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      On days with a temperature was 80 (27 C) or above I was too hot wearing the Hoo-Rag. I found it wicks moisture away and does not allow much air in or out. This greatly reduced any sensation of cooling. I discovered this when removing the Hoo-Rag after feeling too hot. The first time was after wearing it as a beanie. Worn this way the Hoo-Rag is double layered. So I switched the Hoo-Rag to a single layer and loose in the back. This allowed some heat to vent, but still I felt the Hoo-Rag retained heat.

      Next time I wore the Hoo-Rag I removed it just as I started to warm. I tucked it around my sternum strap. Well of coarse I still got hot but this time sweat ran down my face. I used the Hoo-Rag to wipe away the sweat. I didn't feel the Hoo-Rag really removed the sweat. The fabric not being absorbent just pushed the sweat around. I missed my breathable, absorbent cotton.

      I needed a pot holder while boiling up water for dinner in camp. I had the Hoo-Rag on my head and old cotton bandanna in my pack. Being made of polyester microfiber fabric I did not use the Hoo-Rag for fear of it melting from the heat.

      At cooler temperatures I find the Hoo-Rag to be comfortable. The Hoo-Rag is even cozy when a cool wind blows. It blocks the wind quite well. I like be able to cover just the part of me that is cold. The flexibility to adjust the shape and location worn is nice.

      When the temperatures hit the freezing mark I started appreciating the Hoo-Rag. The transition from warm air to very cold air can create a burning sensation in my nose. Wearing the Hoo-Rag around my neck and pulling it over my nose was a big help. This made the transition easier by making the change much less abrupt.

      The last two outings during testing I was on cross country skis. When skiing I start off cold knowing I will be roasting in no time. Hear I wore the Hoo-Rag folded in half as a bandanna under a fleece hat. When I warmed up I removed the hat. The Hoo-Rag kept my ears warm while heat dissipated from my exposed head.

      SUMMARY

      The weather and conditions can be the determining factor for choosing many gear items. I find this to hold true for the Hoo-Rag. I found it very helpful in lower temperatures. Throw some wind in and the Hoo-Rag is great. However when the heat is on I had to take the Hoo-Rag off. I prefer a more breathable fabric when the weather is hot and humid.

      CONTINUED USE

      While not a huge fan of the Hoo-Rags warm weather performance I did like using it when it was cold. Being so packable and light the Hoo-Rag will make it into my "cold weather kit".

      This conclude this Test Series. Thank you to Hoo-Rag and BackpackGearTest.org for making it possible.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • Nancy Griffith
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2013
        Hi (again) Mike,

        Nice report!  Here are your edits in the usual convention.

        Please upload once you've made the changes.

        Thanks for a great test series.  You guys are making this an easy one for me.

        Nancy

        >>Camels Hump, Vermont - 18 mi (29 km) to 4081 ft (1244 m) with 3963 ft (1208 m) gained in 5.1 mi (8 m), 60 F (15.5 C) mostly cloudy with a few breaks of sunshine
        Comment: This sounds like a challenging day hike!  I like the self-portrait ;)

        >>On days with a temperature was 80 (27 C) or above I was too hot wearing the Hoo-Rag.
        EDIT: Add F to 80 degrees

        >> Well of coarse I still got hot but this time sweat ran down my face.
        EDIT: of course

        >>I had the Hoo-Rag on my head and old cotton bandanna in my pack.
        EDIT: Add 'an' before old
        >> I like be able to cover just the part of me that is cold.
        EDIT: being

        >>Hear I wore the Hoo-Rag folded in half as a bandanna under a fleece hat. ''
        EDIT: Here
        >>This conclude this Test Series.
        EDIT: concludes