IR: Coldpruf ECO-TERRA Base Layer - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
      Gail, et al:

      Herewith is my Initial Report on the Coldpruf Eco-Terra base layer.

      The HTML file is available via this link http://snipurl.com/261yquf%c2%a0 for your review and comment.  The text version is included below for your review as well.

      Thanks, in advance for your comments / suggestions.  Ryan

      COLDPRUF
      ECO-TERRA Base Layer

      INITIAL REPORT
      January 5, 2013

      Reviewer Information
      Name:  Ryan L. Christensen
      Age:  48
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight:  235 lb (107 kg)
      Email:  bigdawgryan(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country:   Idaho Falls, Idaho, USA

      Backpacking Background
      I began backpacking at twelve, continuing until 25. After an extended hiatus, due in part to a bad back, I resumed cycling, hiking, and backpacking several years ago. I also began snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. I share my love for backpacking and these sports with my children. I am a midweight backpacker, but carry a full array of necessary gear.

      Product Information:

      The information below came from COLDPRUF's website and ECO-TERRA product packaging.
      ECO-TERRA Base Layers
      Manufacturer:     COLDPRUF Base Layer
      Manufacturer website:     http://www.coldpruf.com
      Place of Manufacture:     Mexico (from U.S. components)
      Year Manufactured:     2012
      Materials:     70% Recycled Performance Polyesters, 30% Merino Wool
      Sizes Availabel:     Small, Medium, Large, XL, 2XL, 3XL (in both regular and tall)
      Tall Tops: 2 in (5 cm) longer and 1.5 in (3.8 cm) longer sleeves
      Tall Bottoms: 3 in (7.6 cm) longer
      Colors Availabel:     single color
      MSRP:     Top: N/A
      Bottom: N/A

      Product Specifications
      Manufacturer's Specifications
      Weight:     N/A
      Tester's Actual Measurements
      Weight:     2XL Top: 11.3 oz (320 g)
      2XL Bottom: 10 oz (284 g)

      Product Description:

      The ECO-TERRA is a polyester/wool blend midweight performance base layer. The ECO-TERRA, only availabel in men's sizes, is one of two products which comprise the ECO line. Using Thermachoice®, COLDPRUF's simple color-coding system that combines temperature rating and activity level, the ECO-TERRA is classified for use in Cold to Extreme Cold conditions and Low to High Activity levels. COLDPRUF ECO utilizes polyester staple fiber produced from recycled waste PET bottles (such as those used for soft drinks). This recycled polyester fiber is blended with merino wool for use in the ECO-TERRA. However, the percentage of merino wool is somewhat low to help minimize the risk of overheating. During the manufacturing process, the ECO-TERRA fabric is treated with Microban® antimicrobial to help prevent the growth of odor-causing bacteria.

      Both the top and bottom are single-layer raschel knit fabric which resembles hand-crocheted fabric and lace. Raschel knit is a form of warp knitting (multiple parallel yarns looped vertically at the same time to form parallel ridges running lengthwise through the material). Warp knit fabric is claimed to have greater dimensional stability, sag less, and ravel less easily than weft knit (single yarn used to form horizontal rows of looped stitches) materials. The fabric is somewhat stretchy. It will be interesting to see how well this material holds it shape and stays in place.
      2XL Top:
      The top has what I consider to be a narrow-collared crew neck (0.5 in or 1.3 cm). It has flat, overlocked seams extending from the crew neck across the top of the shoulder, where the sleeve meets the shoulder, along the underside of each sleeve, down both sides of the torso, and along the hem. The sleeves (from shoulder seam to end of cuff) are approximately 25 in (64 cm) in length. The ribbed cuffs are approximately 2.75 in (7 cm) in length. The tail of the top extends 2.5 in (6.4 cm) longer than the front; with the overall length (collar to bottom of tail) being approximately 32 in (81 cm). There is no tag inside the shirt. Rather, there is a silk-screened label inside, on the back, near the collar. The label includes the COLDPRUF ECO logo, material, size, and laundering information.
      2XL Bottom:
      Like the top, the bottom has flat, overlocked seams. These seams form the fly and the gusseted crotch, run down the inside of each leg, and around both of the ribbed cuffs. The bottom has an elastic waistband, which is approximately 1.25 in (3.2 cm) in width. There is a silk-screened label inside, on the back, near the waistband. The label includes the COLDPRUF ECO logo, material, size, and laundering information. From the top of the waistband to the bottom of the ribbed cuff, they are approximately 43 in (109 cm) in length. The ribbed cuffs are approximately 2.5 in (6.4 cm) in length.

      COLDPRUF® Base Layer manufacturers nine product lines:

          BASIC
          AUTHENTIC
          AUTHENTIC WOOL PLUS
          PLATINUM
          ENTHUSIAST
          ECO
          PERFORMANCE
          PREMIUM PERFORMANCE
          EXTREME PERORMANCE

      Each of COLDPRUF's product lines is intended for use in specific temperature ranges and activity levels.

      CARE INSTRUCTIONS: (same for top and bottom)

          Machine wash warm, with like colors
          Use only non-chlorine bleach when needed
          DO NOT use fabric softener (sheet or liquid)
          Use of fabric softeners will impede antimicrobial properties
          Tumble dry low, remove promptly
          Low iron if needed

      Initial Impression:

      The first thing that caught my attention was the feel of the fabric. The polyester/merino wool blend fabric is soft to the touch, not scratchy like some wool fabric base layers. I like the lace-like raschel knit and am anxious to see how well it breathes. The single-layer fabric is relatively thin; it feels more like a midweight base layer than some of my other midweights. Although neither mentioned on the packaging nor the COLDPRUF website, I am anxious to see how these base layer products wick moisture.

      Initial Testing:

      Initially I received only the 2XL top as requested, but no bottom. The Test Director contacted the manufacturer and I received a 2XL bottom a week or so later. However, based on my 38 in (97 cm) waist and COLDPRUF's size chart which lists their Large bottoms being for men with 36 - 38 in (91 - 97 cm) waists, I had requested a Large bottom. Once again, the Test Director contacted the manufacturer. After the Christmas holiday, I received the Large bottom. After removing the top and bottom base layer items from their packaging, I proceeded to thoroughly examine them for any noticeable flaws. These base layer products appear to be constructed of high quality material and workmanship. I did not find any loose seams or other noticeable defects in materials or workmanship.
      Top:
      Next, I donned the top to check sizing. The sleeves were long enough and fit nicely the entire length. The ribbed cuffs were snug, but not overly so. The top was not too tight through the chest/shoulder area. And, the tail length appears to be sufficient to keep it from riding up. The fit and feel of the fabric next to my skin was quite comfortable. I really like the fact that the top does not have any tags in it.
      Bottom:
      Next, I donned the Large bottom. Although COLDPRUF's website states "TRUE SIZING FOR ACCURATE FIT" related to its sizing as indicated by the line drawn to the thigh area (as shown in the photos at the top of this report), much to my chagrin, the bottoms did not fit me. The Large was so tight in the calves, but especially in the thighs, that I could not pull the bottom up fully. I was disheartened to have followed the manufacturer's suggested sizing only to have the bottom be too small for me in the thighs. I do not consider myself as having overly large calves or thighs. Nevertheless, I took the Large bottom off, opened the 2XL bottom, and donned it. The 2XL bottom fit nicely in the legs, and overall length. The ribbed cuffs were snug, but not overly so. However, for me, the 2XL bottom is quite oversized in the waist. The COLDPRUF sizing chart lists the 2XL bottom for men with 44 - 46 in (112 - 117 cm) waists--some 8 in (20 cm) larger than my waist. The
      waistband is stretchable enough that I believe the 2XL bottom will work for the test series. Although I would think an XL bottom would be a better overall fit for me. The feel of the fabric next to me skin was quite comfortable. I really like that the bottom does not have any tags in it.

      Initial Pros:

          made from recycled PET bottles
          comfortable next to my skin
          tagless
          flat seams
          antimicrobial

      Initial Cons:

          Men's Size Chart -- bottoms not true to my personal size

      This concludes my Initial Report on the COLDPRUF ECO-TERRA base layer. Please check back in two months for my test results. Thanks to COLDPRUF and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test series.

    • woodswoman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2013
        Hi Ryan,
        Looks like you had some issues getting the right "size". Hopefully the bottoms will work out anyway. I have a few edits and then you are good to upload.

        Sizes Availabel:

        Colors Availabel:

        EDIT: change both to "Available

          The ECO-TERRA, only availabel in men's sizes

        EDIT: available

           The single-layer fabric is
        relatively thin; it feels more like a midweight base layer than some of
        my other midweights.

        Edit: This is confusing..did you mean that it feels more like a "lightweight" base layer than....

        That's it...enjoy the winter :)

        Gail