FR - GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Tea Kettle - Mark Thompson

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
      Hi Lori,
      Please find my Field Report below or by clicking:  http://tinyurl.com/GSI-MET

      I await your edits.

      Best,
      Mark

      GSI OUTDOORS GLACIER STAINLESS TEA KETTLE
      TEST SERIES BY MARK THOMPSON
      FR
      January 05, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Mark Thompson
      EMAIL: markthompson 242 at gmail dot com
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Parker, Colorado, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 6' 0" (2.10 m)
      WEIGHT: 190 lb (86.20 kg)

      Outdoor adventures started for me at an early age, my passions have grown to include backpacking, rock climbing, hiking, hunting, fishing, canoeing, cycling, skiing and snowshoeing.  Most of my adventures presently
      take place in Colorado's amazing Rocky Mountains.  For trail hikes, my pack typically weighs 15 lbs/7 kg (summer/fall), 25 lbs/11 kg (winter/spring) and trail speed ranges from 2.5 - 4 mph (4 - 6 km/h) depending on elevation gain.  For backpack trips, my pack weighs 40 - 45 lbs (18 - 20 kg) and my trail speed drops to 1.5 - 3.0 mph (2 - 5 km/h).

      FIELD REPORT

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Over the past two months my outdoor activities have been varied and awesome!  Car camping, backpacking, snowshoeing and ice climbing have filled my weekends and kept a smile on my face.  The GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Steel Tea Kettle has accompanied me along the way.  Activity specifics include:

      Backpacking
      Along the Colorado Trail
      Temperature: 24 to 38 Deg F (-4 to 3 Deg C)

      Snow Travel Training
      St Mary's Glacier, Colorado
      Temperature: 10 to 18 Deg F
      (-12 to -7 Deg C)

      Technical Ice Climbing
      Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
      Temperature: 9 to 33 Deg F (-12 to 0 Deg C)

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I have used the kettle with two different stoves, one using white gas fuel and the other using canister fuel.  The kettle was easily compatible with both stoves.  Although not surprising, it was not compatible with stoves that are designed to fit a specific pot like those using heat exchangers.  The shorter stance and wider base of the kettle did seem to aid in providing a lower profile and thus supporting a stable combination overall.

      The handle is affixed to the tea kettle on mounts that incorporate a camming type of action that keeps the handle upright or laying flat.  Having the handle upright in use makes it easy to grasp when in use.  This is especially helpful
      when wearing winter gloves.  I did note, however, that the handle does tend to get hot even when in the upright position.  The lid remains secure on the kettle, however, the lid does not incorporate a camming feature on the lid handle which makes it difficult to remove the lid when the lid is hot or when wearing gloves.

      The kettle did perform rather well with the ominous task of melting snow and then raising to a boil.  The wide opening not only facilitates storing a fuel canister inside while packed, but also provides easy access for snow.  I also found that the kettle has a listed capacity of 32 fluid ounces (0.95 L), but realistically, it can only accommodate approximately 24 fluid ounces (0.71 L) at a rolling boil.

      SUMMARY

      The GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Tea Kettle has
      performed well and has met my expectations.

      Pros:
      - Sturdy construction
      - Handle stays upright
      - Wide opening

      Cons:
      - Advertised volume is for water at ambient temperature, not at a rolling boil
      - Handle gets hot to the touch

      Thank you GSI Outdoors and BackpackGearTest.org for making this test possible.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • Lori Pontious
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2013
        Hi Mark,

        Sorry about the delay of game.

        Nice report - good clear pictures. It's a little short, but with some good details.

        On Jan 5, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Mark Thompson <markthompson242@...> wrote:

        > Although not surprising, it was not compatible with stoves that are designed to fit a specific pot like those using heat exchangers.

        Edit: As this sentence is written it seems to suggest on first read that "like those using heat exchangers" is a modifier of stoves, not the pot. Someone unfamiliar with where the heat exchanger is supposed to go may misread. I suggest a slight reword, perhaps "with stoves designed to work with pots featuring heat exchangers."

        > however, the lid does not incorporate a camming feature on the lid handle which makes it difficult to remove the lid when the lid is hot or when wearing gloves.

        Edit: I'm going to suggest here a little bit more just to make it really clear that the reason it's difficult to remove the lid is that the handle doesn't stay upright. Your call, though.

        > The kettle did perform rather well with the ominous task of melting snow and then raising to a boil.

        Question: Did you perhaps mean arduous? Ominous is "to give the impression something bad is about to happen."

        Don't forget to delete the draft from the test folder - see you in a couple months.

        Lori