IR - ISIS Slipstream Jacket - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2013
      Hi Mystery Monitor,
      Here is my IR for the ISIS Slipstream Jacket. Thanks in advance for the edits. Gail

      Slipstream Jacket
      Series by:
      Gail Staisil, Marquette, Michigan

      Page Contents:

      Initial Report -
      January 3, 2013

      January 3, 2013

      Name: Gail Staisil
      Height:5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight:152 lb (69 kg)
      Location:Marquette, Michigan
      2001 AT yahoo DOT com
      the last 20
      years, backpacking has become a passion. I am a four-season backpacker
      and an off-trail navigator. Although
      I do take yearly trips to the American West or Southwest, the majority
      of my trips are in Michigan and Canada.My pack weight varies considerably but my base weight is below 18 lb
      (8 kg). I am primarily a tarp camper who averages more than 50 nights a
      year backpacking in a huge variety of weather conditions including
      relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero temps.

      Product Information

      Website http://www.isisforwomen.com

      Model Slipstream

      (Also available in Dusk, Vista, Emerald and Grape)

      14 (Sizes 4-14 available)

      Weight   NA

      Weight   15 oz (425 g)

      Model Year 2012

      MSRP $229.00 US

      Initial Impressions
      and Product Description

      The ISIS
      Slipstream Jacket arrived in the requested size and color. ISIS is a
      manufacturer of women's clothing so their products are truly
      designed with different types of women's bodies in mind. The jacket was
      mostly perfect in construction with one outstanding piece of looped
      thread on the front of the jacket. I have not snipped this thread yet
      as I have yet to determine where its origins are (do not want it to unravel).

      When I
      checked the sizing information for the Slipstream Jacket, I decided to
      request a bigger size than normal. I really emphasize that
      manufacturer's charts vary widely so it is important to read them. I
      was truly on the border of the largest two sizes (according to the
      manufacturer's size chart) so I went with the roomiest. I was not
      disappointed. I often wear an insulated jacket such as the Slipstream
      over a couple of layers so I wanted to be sure to accommodate that
      preference. That said the jacket looks great over one, two or three
      layers. I have worn it every day since it's arrival and have been
      completely comfortable and warm no matter what I wear underneath.

      As a side note, I did receive the jacket in my requested color of
      Vixen. That is often a hard color to photograph and the jacket is much
      more pink than I would have guessed by looking at the color on the website. I still
      like it!

      Design and Technical

      The Slipstream Jacket
      is a hood-less 800-fill power down jacket that is very light weight and
      is easy to compress for packing. The shell of the jacket is fabricated
      with 1.3 oz 100 percent anti-static polyester. This tightly-woven
      ripstop fabric lessens the chance of down escaping and helps in wind
      resistance. In addition it is coated with a durable water-resistant
      finish (DWR) to fend off light precipitation. The down fill is placed
      between waves of stitching in an attractive design that renders it very
      stylish. The wave pattern changes direction often and is figure
      flattering. Princess seaming adds to the shape of the jacket.

      There are two attractive logos on the jacket (one is on a sleeve and
      the other near the bottom hem). These logos respectively feature the
      company name and the company's logo. The inside of the jacket is lined
      with a gray-colored soft nylon material.

      The Slipstream
      Jacket has a number of features that should be noted. First, there are
      two side pockets with invisible zippers that don't detract from the
      design. Each zipper has a clear-color rubberized pull tag with a tiny
      snowflake or star in the center of the tag. These tags are non-slippery
      and have been easy to use so far.

      Each pocket is roomy enough to stash
      a pair of gloves or assorted small objects like keys, phone, etc. There
      is one internal pocket that is fabricated with mesh. The roomy pocket
      has a zippered opening plus a snowflake-shaped portal for earphones. This pocket can certainly hold an extra hat if desired.

      The jacket features a full-length zipper ending with a zipper cover
      the top end. The zipper is flanked by a reportedly snag-free draft
      closure. The draft closure has a snowflake-patterned ribbon sewn the
      length of it to give it some structure. The zipper itself has a nice
      clear-color pull with an ISIS logo inside. There is also an elasticized
      loop sewn into the inside edge of the zipper. I can only speculate that
      it might be used to further direct an earphone cord or similar.

      The top of the jacket features a tall collar that is lined with a
      velvety material. The collar is approximately 3 in (7.6 cm) high and covers my neck effectively.

      I really appreciate the length of the jacket at approximately 27
      inches (69 cm). The length gives sufficient coverage to my backside to keep the
      cold at bay. There are also two drawcord adjustments with toggles on
      the internal bottom edge if I want to make the jacket snug against my body.

      Washing instructions are printed in the inside of the jacket. It can be
      machine washed on a gentle cycle with mild soap and then tumble dry.
      The use of bleach, fabric softeners, dry cleaning or ironing are not
      recommended. ISIS products
      are warranted to the original purchaser against defects in materials or
      workmanship for the
      life of the product according to the manufacturer.

      I have already worn
      the Slipstream Jacket on a multitude of outings including a sledge-in
      rustic cabin trip. I will be reporting on that and much more in the
      field report in two months.

      So Far

          * Very
      feminine design

          * Warm
          * Longer
      length covers assets

          * Comfortable
          * Velvet
      inside collar feels great on my neck

      So Far

          *  None

      Tester Remarks

      to ISIS and BackpackGearTest for this opportunity to test the Slipstream Jacket.This concludes my
      Initial Report. The Field Report
      be appended
      this report in approximately two months.
      Please check back then for more information.

      Top of Page