LTR - Acli-Mate Mountain Sports Drink - Lyon

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2012
      Brett,

      Finished up by allotment by year end - very handy on the ski slopes. Html version at http://tinyurl.com/asxtpzl

      Edit away!

      Happy New Year, Richard

      LONG TERM REPORT - December 31, 2012

      That it's taken me less than three months to use up thirty individual servings of the Mountain Sports Drink says more for my enthusiasm for the product than for excessive outdoor activity. I have used the Drink on every backpack and day hike I've taken, almost every ski day, and as a pick-me-up after long walks on wintry days. I've even - and this is rare for me - followed the manufacturer's directions. I prepared for one backcountry trip by taking the recommended dosage before starting out.

      Field Conditions

      On a dozen day hikes, which here includes a couple of lessons/excursions on cross-country skis, I have taken a twelve-ounce (355 ml) vacuum bottle of hot Sports Drink in my pack. I've done the same on six days at Bridger Bowl, my local ski area, as my vacuum bottle fits nicely into the top of the small pack I wear on in-bounds-only days (see photo below). Temperatures have ranged from -5 to 45 F (-21 to 7 C) and conditions from clear blue skies to overcast to intermittent rain to snow flurries. On the day hikes I've also packed a container of water; when skiing the Sports Drink has been my only beverage, though I have drunk water at warming huts. The ski area's base is at 6100 feet (1860 m), rising to 8100 feet (2470 m) at the top of its highest lift. This season I haven't yet hiked the additional 600 feet (180 m) to the top of The Ridge, Bridger's boundary. Day hike elevation has been at comparable altitudes, with a maximum elevation gain of perhaps 2000 feet (600 m).

      In early November and again in early December I took overnight trips in Yellowstone Park, Wyoming. The first was desperately cold, -3 F (-20 C) at the trailhead dropping to -12 F (-24 C) at our campsite, on Yellowstone's Blacktail Plateau, elevation about 6200 feet (1900 m) along a relatively flat ski trail. December was warmer, about 15 F (-10 C) on the trail and down to 0 F (-18 C) at night. Elevation was slightly higher and the hike (also on skis) included a steep start, gaining 500 vertical feet (150 m) over the first three-quarters of a mile (1200 m). While I started these trips with a vacuum bottle of hot Sports Drink, refills were made with cold water or melted snow and drunk cold.

      Observations

      Let's start with my main criterion for any food or drink - taste. I mentioned in my Initial Report that I like this product's taste, and that view applies to all three flavors though not equally. Cran-Raspberry remains my clear favorite, partly from personal preference and partly because I find it the least sugary-tasting of the lot. I am not a fan of sweet beverages of any sort; I never add sugar to my coffee and greatly dislike most soft drinks for this reason. The Sports Drink's taste is commendably free of the cloying taste and aftertaste of sugar. Once or twice I've experienced a mild aftertaste with the Orange, but even that flavor is more fruity than sweet. I haven't consumed my quota of Orange only from duty. All flavors taste good enough to replace hot tea or cocoa after a day's skiing or a long walk with my dog on a cold winter's night.

      The size of my containers has dictated portion size. Hot drinks were made with twelve ounces (355 ml) of water and one packet of Sports Drink, cold with one liter (33.8 fl oz) and two packets, except on the overnight trips when I refilled the smaller vacuum bottle with cold water. This product suits my taste better when a bit more than the manufacturer-recommended amount of water (10-12 oz/296-355 ml) is used.

      The Mountain Sports Drink fizzes furiously for a moment when near-boiling water is added to the powder in the vacuum. I've prevented overflow by adding the water very gradually. This phenomenon occurs, though less dramatically, with cold water. Hot or cold the effervescence subsides quickly and isn't noticeable when I open the flask to drink a hour or so later.

      While it bothers me not at all, I should point out that each flavor loses almost all of its color by the time I'm ready for a drink. This is particularly visible with the Grape and Cran-Raspberry flavors, each is more a pale grey than a bright color. I have not detected any loss of flavor from this.

      The Sports Drink excels at re-hydration, it's a tasty way of replacing lost water on the trail. I've made a habit of draining what contents remain in my container upon returning to the trailhead or the ski area parking lot. At no time on any hike or ski day have I experienced any signs of dehydration. I like this product's taste enough that I intend to use it next summer for this purpose.

      I'm not the best tester to report on how well the Sports Drink acclimates one to altitude. My home sits at about 5800 feet (1770 m), so since moving here I've had natural assistance in altitude adjustment. I can report that in preparation for the second overnighter I followed Acli-Mate's suggestion of drinking a liter or two of the Sports Drink on each of the three days preceding the journey and had no difficulty with the stiff climb at the trip's start. That trail is one I've hiked many times and I'm usually huffing and puffing before I reach the plateau, but not this time despite carrying a winter pack. I'm happy to give Acli-Mate most of the credit.

      Summary

      Acli-Mate Mountain Sports Drink has become my water supplement of choice and will likely be in my water container for the foreseeable future. It's easy to use, easy to pack, tastes great, and it works. I'll either keep buying packets or use small vials should I purchase the slightly less expensive tub.

      Acknowledgment

      My thanks to Acli-Mate Formulations, LLC and BackpackGearTest.org for this testing opportunity. Acli-Mate, you've found a regular customer.
    • Brett Haydin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
        Richard, I read, re-read and poked around as much as I could. No grammatical errors, but just one edit to consider, and not a strong one at that. Please feel free to upload when you are done. Your review has definitely pursuaded me to give this a try.

        -Brett <snip>

        Summary

        Acli-Mate Mountain Sports Drink has become my water supplement of choice and will likely be in my water container for the foreseeable future. It's easy to use, easy to pack, tastes great, and it works. I'll either keep buying packets or use small vials should I purchase the slightly less expensive tub. EDIT: Could you just sum up the negative aspects here in a nice and tidy sentence?

      • richardglyon@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2013
          Brett,

          Good catch. Here's what I added: "The only improvement I'd like to see would be to offer Acli-Mate in tablet form, if that could be done without impairing effectiveness or adding a big price premium. The individual packets can be messy to open and pour in wind, and I'm left with trash that I must pack out."

          Uploaded, and Tests folder copy deleted.

          Cheers, Richard