LTR - Honey Stinger Waffles - Jerry Adams

  • jerry adams
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2012
      Can I submit this now or should I wait until two weeks before the due date?  I can resubmit then if that's better.

      http://tinyurl.com/bvpncys

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      November 24, 2012 - 3 night backpack and 3 night car camp on the Deschutes River in North central Oregon.  I did 30 miles (48 km) of backpacking.   300 feet (100 m) of elevation gain.  Temperatures were 28 to 40 F (-2 to 4 C).
      Mmm mm good:
      December 19, 2012 - 3 night backpack and 2 night car camp on the lower Deschutes River in North central Oregon.  I did 30 miles (48 km) of backpacking.  1600 feet (500 m) of elevation gain.  32 to 48 F (0 to 8 C).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      I took the Honey Stinger Waffles on two backpacking trips.
      The best application, I think, of the Honey Stinger Waffles is for quick energy during a long exercise - they have lots of carbs and quite a bit of fat also.  I ate 2 at mid day for all of my backpacking days.  It seems like it increased my energy level for the rest of the day.
      I also ate 4 waffles per day at dinner.  As I mentioned in the Initial Report, the waffles are high in carbs and somewhat high in fat so to make complete nutrition, I added 2 ounces (57 g) of pepperoni and 3 ounces (85 g) of cheese which adds protein and more fat to make complete nutrition.  I also ate half a red bell pepper.
      Normally. I eat some hot soup, but with the cheese and pepperoni I didn't feel the need to.  This saves firing up the stove which is a minor pain.
      It was fairly cool when I was eating the waffles (32 to 48 F, 0 to 8 C).  They were very chewy because of the coolth.  If it had been colder, it could have been a problem, except it would be easy to just put it in my pocket for a while to heat up a little.
      Sometimes with backpacking food, it tastes good at first, but I get tired of it after a few days.  The Honey Stinger Waffles tasted good even after a few days.
      These waffles are structurally sound.  I carried around a waffle in a pocket all day and it was still in one piece at the end.  This is a good thing, but if it was too strong it would be difficult to eat, but as I mentioned above, as long as it wasn't too cold, it was fine.
      I liked all three flavors.  I noticed that the filling on the chocolate kind of melted a little a flowed to one side - more of an observation than a complaint, but maybe they're not as good for warm weather?  It's weird because it was never warm.  Maybe it happened when they were at home but they were never above room temperature.  I think maybe I liked the honey flavor best.

      SUMMARY

      I enjoyed eating the Honey Stinger Waffles on two backpacking trips.
      These were very tasty, even after several days of backpacking.  I liked all three flavors about equally.
      They are structurally strong so they can be carried around without breaking but that makes them pretty chewy.  If it was around 32 F (0 C) they might be too chewy, but putting them in my pocket to warm up a bit fixed that.
      The nutritional profile (high carb and low protein) make them good to replenish energy in high level activity like hiking.  I think they would also be good for bicycling (their initial application) and running.
      For backpacking, where the activity level is lower but sustained over several days, then the waffles can be supplemented with food that's high in protein and also has some fat, like cheese and Pepperoni.
      Thanks to Honey Stinger and BackpackGearTest.org for letting me test these.

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.