IR Isis Slipstream Jacket - Katie Montovan

  • sull0294
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2012
      Dear Mystery Monitor,

      Here is my initial report for the ISIS Slipstream Jacket. I look forward to your edits! I will be away until Jan. 2 so I will make changes when I return home.

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/dyhzuh3

      ISIS Slipstream Jacket
      Test Series by Kathryn Montovan
      INITIAL REPORT: December 29, 2012

      Tester Information
      Name: Kathryn Montovan
      E-Mail: sull0294(at)gmail(dot)com
      Age: 29
      Location: Groton, New York USA
      Gender: F
      Height: 5' 5" (1.65 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)

      I have been backpacking, climbing, kayaking, canoeing and winter
      camping for over 10 years. My excursions are mostly weekend and
      occasionally weeklong backpacking and kayaking trips in the wooded
      and often wet, rolling terrain of western New York. I usually tarp
      camp with a small to large group and love to cook fun and delicious
      foods on my trips. In general, I strive for a compact and light pack
      and value well-made and durable gear.

      Initial Report
      Product Information and Specifications:
      Manufacturer: ISIS
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: www.isisforwomen.com<http://www.isisforwomen.com/>
      Model: Slipstream Jacket
      Color: Vixon. Current colors include: Dusk, Vista, Emerald, and Grape
      Materials: 1.3 oz. anti-static ripstop polyester w/DWR (Durable Water Repellant) finish shell; 800-fill goose down; riptstop polyester lining
      Size: 8 (Sizes 4 - 14 available)
      Listed Weight: Not listed
      Measured Weight: 14.4 oz (408 g)
      MSRP: $229 US

      Product Description:

      The ISIS Slipstream jacket is a lightweight down jacket with
      a durable water repellent shell fabric. The collar is lined with a soft
      synthetic fabric. There is a sturdy loop under the tags for hanging the
      jacket on a hook.

      The zipper works smoothly and is nicely protected by the "no-snag draft
      flap." The ribbon that is sewn onto the draft flap makes it stiffer and
      smoother and so far has been truly no-snag. It is a delightful detail
      that is decorative and very functional. At the top is a "zipper garage"
      which is basically the draft flap folded over to protect the chin from
      getting snagged by the zipper (not visible in the pictures). Near the
      top of the zipper is an elastic loop which I have been unable to find a
      purpose for (visible in the left photo).

      The jacket has a nice shape, which tapers in at the waist and is a great
      length (even for my long torso). The variable-width one-to-two inch wavy
      baffles are attractive and look like they will keep the down in place
      through extended use.

      There is a mesh zippered pocket on the inside of the jacket. The pink
      snowflake in the photo has a hole in the center which is plenty large
      enough to accommodate by headphone cord for an MP3 player. This is a
      nice feature which does not add much weight or bulk, and which it
      unobtrusive (almost unnoticeable) when not in use.

      At the base of the jacket in the hem is an elastic drawcord with a
      toggle at both side seams. The way the toggle is constructed there is
      flexibility in where the jacket is tightened (back, left front or right

      Slipstream Jacket has elastic cuffs on the sleeves that gently tighten
      the sleeve around the wrist. They are loose enough that I didn't
      initially notice them, but tight enough to prevent most drafts from
      going up my sleeves.

      Care Instructions:

      The following care instructions are printed on the liner of the
      Slipstream Jacket:
      * Secure all Velcro and zippers
      * Machine wash in warm water with a mild detergent using the gentle
      * Use mild detergent
      * Do not use bleach or fabric softeners
      * Tumble dry low with clean tennis balls to fluff up the down
      * Do not iron
      * Do not dry clean

      Initial Impressions:

      This is a very nice, lightweight jacket and has been designed with great
      attention to the small details. It is a flattering style with a nice fit
      and a good length (both aesthetically, and for active outdoor use). When
      it first arrived I was a little surprised by how thin and bright the
      jacket is. Online photos of this jacket don't always capture how pink it
      is, but I have quickly come to love the color. It is bright and visible
      in the snow or deep woods, which is something that I like in outdoor
      clothing for safety reasons. My other down jacket is at least four times
      as thick as the Slipstream Jacket, but I think that the two have a
      similar level of warmth. I imagine that this comes from the combination
      of the 800-fill goose down, the shell and liner fabrics.

      All the seams look well-constructed and do not have any noticeable
      defects. The one problem that I found was that when I first received the
      jacket there were several feathers poking out of the baffle stitching. I
      pulled these out and have not seen any more since. I will keep an eye
      out throughout the test for more feather loss.

      Trying It Out

      It was snowing when this jacket arrived and I promptly headed out to a
      local trail to do an initial test of the jacket. It was about 30 F (-1
      C), and I was toasty in just the slipstream and a wicking t-shirt. Later
      that night I wore the Slipstream jacket while I shoveled in a heavy snow
      storm. It kept me very warm with only a t-shirt underneath despite a
      strong wind and temperatures around 15 F (-10 C). I did have to go back
      in for a scarf/neck gator because the collar is not snug enough to keep
      my neck warm in inclement weather.

      When I came in from shoveling, my hat and scarf were covered in snow and
      the jacket was covered in beaded up melted snowflakes. It looked like
      they had melted from my body heat while I was outside but that the water
      repellent shell fabric was repelling the water and keeping me warm and dry.

      This is a surprisingly warm jacket for its thickness and weight. It is
      attractively designed and fits great. I can see it becoming a favorite
      jacket/layer for all my cold weather adventures. I am excited to put
      this jacket to the test in all the cold conditions I encounter over the
      next few months. I will pay particular attention to its durability,
      functionality, warmth, and water repelling capacity throughout the test.

      Thank you to ISIS and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test
      the Slipstream Jacket. Check back in March to find out more about how
      the this jacket has performed on a variety of wintry backcountry adventures.