LTR: Bridgford Sweet Baby Ray's Jerky - askLarry

  • laurence kirschner
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2012
      Hi Kathy-
      I saw dates posted for the LTR in BridGeT today, but I had planned to wrap up this test, since I figured 3 months was long enough and all the jerky is now gone :)
      html is at: http://tinyurl.com/cys6kjd
      Thanks in advance for the edits, which I won't expect until after the New Year.
      Speaking of which...Happy New Year!
      -larry
      --------------

      LONG-TERM REPORT December 27, 2012
      FIELD CONDITIONS AND EXPERIENCE
      Over the past few months, I have eaten Sweet Baby Ray's Beef Jerky in a variety of settings, including:A weekend 7 mi/10.2 km backpacking trip in October to Wildcat Hollow, in Glouster, OH. Weather was intermittently rainy with overnight temperatures that were colder than expected, reaching a low of 32 F/0 C (See foliage in the photo below)A weekend camping trip (with about 1 mi/1.6 km backpacking) in Newark, OHAn overnight camping trip to Marengo, OHAfter working out at my local gymFor lunch at work (Hey, that's not a stick, it's a stick bug!)
      Overall, I have quite enjoyed the Sweet Baby Ray's jerky. Even after eating a bunch of the packages, I still find the barbeque flavor of the original recipe quite nice. It is not overpowering but adds to the taste. In my initial report, I noted that I didn't find the honey chipotle flavor that different. I now stand corrected. The honey chipotle is MUCH spicier than the original. I quite enjoy spicy food, so I really liked the taste. However, the bottom line is this stuff packs a bit of a punch, so I would not recommend it for people who do not care for spicy food.
      When I ate the jerky on the trail, I felt full but not stuffed, which was good. One bag of jerky was enough for a complete breakfast on the trail, and almost enough for a full lunch. In my experience, once I started a packet, I always finished it. Most of the jerky pieces are a good size, but there were always a bunch of little tiny fragments at the bottom that I had to scrape around to get, or sometimes just pour the packet contents into my mouth (after removing the silica packet, of course). I found this to be mildly annoying, although I'm not sure there is much that can be done about it. Although this test only lasted about 3 months, I did not note any significant change in the consistency of the jerky over this time frame.
      The other note I made in the IR was that I was afraid the smell would be too potent. I am happy to say that this is definitely not the case. When I opened up some Sweet Baby Ray's on the trail, it did not have an overpowering scent. No bears appeared either, so my concerns were overstated. The other plus of the re-closable bag is that it made a handy place to stash trail trash.

      SUMMARY
      Overall, I definitely enjoyed the Sweet Baby Ray's jerky, and could see getting a few bags to take with me backpacking in the future.
      Things I liked about Bridgford's Sweet Baby Ray's Beef Jerky:Good taste (although honey chipotle pretty spicy)PA filling snack (or breakfast) to eat on the trailRe-sealable bag handy
      Things I disliked about the the jerky:Lot of little pieces of jerky at the bottom
      Thanks to Bridgford Foods for providing this tasty trail food for testing, and to BackpackGearTest.org for giving me the chance to participate in the evaluation process.

      -larry kirschner