IR - Sea to Summit Ultra Mesh Stuff Sack

  • Jamie Lawrence
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2012
      Hi Jerry,

      I trust my email finds you enjoying the Chirstmas period.

      Please find below my IR for the S2S stuff sack.

      HTML loaded at - *http://tinyurl.com/d26fzhs*

      Thanks in advance,

      Jamie
      **********************

      SEA TO SUMMIT - ULTRA MESH STUFF SACK
      TEST SERIES BY JAMIE LAWRENCE
      IR
      December 26, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jamie Lawrence
      EMAIL: jlawrence286@...
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Hobart, Tasmania - Australia
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)

      I was introduced to bushwalking/tramping/hiking as a young child in Boy
      Scouts and through my school physical/adventure education. After leaving
      school, I mainly did short daywalks until recently when I have started to
      again re-walk some of Tasmania's key hiking routes and try walks I have yet
      to attempt. I mainly walk in the winter months, in Tasmania's central
      highlands areas. I prefer light gear, extended walks (3-5 days) in a group
      of 3 or shorter walks (1-3 days) walking solo. I would generally carry a
      base weight pack of around 8 kg-10 kg (17 lb-22 lb).

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Sea to Summit
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "
      http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/173">>
      MSRP: Not Listed
      Listed Weight: 0.4 oz (10 g)
      Measured Weight: 0.4 oz (10 g) - but my scales is not super accurate at
      this light weight
      Sizes Available:
      Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack - XXS/2.5 Litre - 0.2 oz / 6g
      Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack - XS/4 Litre - 0.3 oz / 8g
      Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack - S/6.5 Litre - 0.4 oz / 10g
      Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack - M/9 Litre - 0.45 oz / 11g
      Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack - L/15 Litre - 0.5 oz / 14g
      Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack - XL/20 Litre - 0.6 oz / 17.5g
      Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack - XXL/30 Litre - 0.7 oz / 20g

      I am testing the S size (6.5 Litre) which features a bright orange band
      around the opening of the sack.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Sack in
      Packaging">>
      Being constructed of 15 denier multi-filament nylon mesh, this is a simple
      drawstring mesh sack that has double stitched seams and a round base. On
      their website, Sea to Summit claim that this sack is 45% lighter than their
      Ultra-Sil range of sacks.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I've been a big user of stuff sacks for many years as I simply hate not
      being able to find things quickly and easily in my pack, so I use colour
      coded sacks to allow me to quickly identify what I am after in my pack. I
      have previously used a large mesh sack for food but the mesh was too wide
      and I found corners of packets or boxes would get caught up in the mesh so
      I steered away from this style of sack.

      However I think I may start changing my mind. This sack is seriously light!
      I couldn't believe when I first took it out of the packet it feels smooth
      like silk but is nearly totally see-through. The mesh is seriously fine,
      which immediately relieved my previous concerns about mesh sacks. However
      it appears to be quite strong, as I grabbed a piece of mesh either side of
      a seam and pulled to see if the seam would struggle to hold together.
      Nothing! The double stitching appears to be quite strong.

      My only initial concern about this sack is the size of the toggle on the
      drawstring. It is tiny, 1/4 of the size I would expect. I suspect this is a
      weight saving measure, which I hope is strong as I hate it when toggles
      break on stuff sacks and they slowly work their way open.

      SUMMARY

      I look forward to testing this stuff sack on my up coming camping/hiking
      trips. At 6.5 Litres, it is a little small so I will be interested to see
      what uses I find for it.

      My thanks to Sea to Summit and backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity to
      test this product.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.

    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2012
        Nice report.  Christmas is well here.

        Couple of minor edits:

        You didn't put your name on the subject line - harder for Kathy to update data base

        "EMAIL:..."
        Comment - Do you care you're putting out your email address for spammers?  Maybe the (at) and (dot) do so little to prevent this it doesn't matter : )

        "http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/173"
        You linked to the specific product page, better to just link to home page in case the product page changes

        "On their website, Sea to Summit claim that this sack is 45% lighter than their Ultra-Sil range of sacks."
        EDIT "claims"

        "My thanks to Sea to Summit and backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity to test this product."
        EDIT "BackpackGearTest.org"

        "My only initial concern about this sack is the size of the toggle on the drawstring. It is tiny, 1/4 of the size I would expect. I suspect this is a weight saving measure, which I hope is strong as I hate it when toggles break on stuff sacks and they slowly work their way open."
        Comment - another question would be how easy it is to open - tiny is more difficult - but that would be a FR question

        Hear from you in two months

      • Jamie
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2012
          Cheers Jerry. All fixed and uploaded.