IR Sea to Summit Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack - L Pontious

  • Lori Pontious
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2012
      Okay, the issues with images have been ridiculous, but here we go.

      HTML: http://tinyurl.com/d5j3eb2

      Sea to Summit Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack
      Test Series by Lori Pontious

      INITIAL REPORT - December 21, 2012

      Tester Information

      NAME: Lori Pontious
      EMAIL: lori.pontious (at) gmail.com
      AGE: 46
      LOCATION: Fresno County, California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5'7" (1.7 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (75 kg)

      I've backpacked, camped and fished all over the lower 48 states with my family as a kid, and then life happened. I've restarted these activities about six years ago - I dayhike or backpack 2-6 times a month. I am between light and ultralight. I have a hammock system and own a Tarptent. My base weight depends upon season and where I go.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Sea to Summit

      Manufacturer URL: www.seatosummit.com
      Sizes Available: XXS (2.5 liter) XS (4 liter) Small (6.5 liter) Medium (9.0 liter) Large (15 liter) XL (20 liter) XXL (30 liter)
      Size Tested: 6.5 liter
      Listed Weight: .4 ounces (10 grams)
      Measured Weight: .4 ounces (10 grams)
      Materials: 15D multi-filament nylon mesh, Ultra-Sil
      MSRP: not listed
      Initial Report

      Product Description
      The Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack (hereafter "the stuff sack" or just "the sack") is made of a very fine nylon mesh, with a strip of Sea to Summit's Ultra-Sil nylon fabric stitched around the opening to provide a reinforced channel for the draw string.

      IMAGES
      I received a size small stuff sack, in new condition. All seams are intact with no loose threads. There are no care instructions with the stuff sack.

      The mesh seems pretty strong. It's advertised as being ultra-light and durable - it is definitely light. Lighter than other stuff sack I've used! I like that the mesh allows full visibility of everything in the sack. It'll make finding that peppermint Clif bar I got for Christmas that much easier. (I'll probably be using it most often for a food bag.)

      I've gone back and forth between using many stuff sacks to be organized, and just packing everything loose in a pack liner. The mesh stuff sack may be the compromise solution. For those trying to lighten up their backpack, trimming away ounces is often of concern. Minimizing use of stuff sacks is one of the ways to do this. I prefer some organization in my pack, so I look forward to putting the Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack to good use.

      Thanks to Sea to Summit and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Ultra-Mesh Stuff Sack. Please come back in two months when I post my Field Report.

    • jerry adams
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2012
        Nice report

        Couple of minor edits:

        "lori.pontious (at) gmail.com"
        you might want to make that "gmail (dot) com" although I don't know how effective any of that is

        normally "Initial Report" comes before "Product Information"

        It seems like your report is a little sparse.

        Maybe add the dimensions.

        I see you tried it out with some food in it - how many days worth of food?  Did it feel strong enough when you did this?  Was it stretchy?  What happened when you pulled the drawstring?  How easily can you carry the bag when it's full of stuff - is there a handle or strap on it - or maybe that's a Field Report comment.