IR - Sea to Summit Stopper Dry Bag

  • Jamie
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 25, 2012
      Merry Christmas all!

      Please see below my IR.

      Test version loaded at http://tinyurl.com/co9cotl

      Thanks!

      Jamie

      ************************

      SEA TO SUMMIT - STOPPER DRY BAG
      TEST SERIES BY JAMIE LAWRENCE
      IR
      December 26, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jamie Lawrence
      EMAIL: jlawrence286@...
      AGE: 31
      LOCATION: Hobart, Tasmania - Australia
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
      WEIGHT: 165 lb (74.80 kg)

      I was introduced to bushwalking/tramping/hiking as a young child in Boy Scouts and through my school physical/adventure education. After leaving school, I mainly did short daywalks until recently when I have started to again re-walk some of Tasmania's key hiking routes and try walks I have yet to attempt. I mainly walk in the winter months, in Tasmania's central highlands areas. I prefer light gear, extended walks (3-5 days) in a group of 3 or shorter walks (1-3 days) walking solo. I would generally carry a base weight pack of around 8 kg-10 kg (17 lb-22 lb).

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Sea to Summit
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/181" LINK TEXT = "manufacturer's website">>
      MSRP: US$
      Listed Weight: 4.4 oz (125 g)
      Measured Weight: 4.23 oz (120 g)
      Sizes Available:
      Stopper Dry Bag 5L
      Stopper Dry Bag 8L
      Stopper Dry Bag 13L
      Stopper Dry Bag 20L
      Stopper Dry Bag 35L
      Stopper Dry Bag 65L

      I am testing the 13 L model which arrived in a bright yellow colour. On their website, Sea to Summit also have a picture of a blue colour and lime green colour that are available.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Dry Bag in Package">>
      This new product from Sea to Summit is part of it;'s extensive range of stacks and bags. This model is fully welded dry bag that is constructed from 210D nylon with a TDU lamination on the outer surface to shed water and improve durability. Sea to Summit claim it is UV resistant and wont crack in extreme cold. It is a conventional roll-top design with the added feature of a 'Field Replacement Buckle and stainless steel pin'.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      The Dry Bag arrived nicely packed in a cardboard package that featured a picture of white water rafting. Whilst I imagine that water sports are a key target market for this product, I intend to test this (as I am a keen kayaker and sailor) in addition to the use for non-water sports such as backpacking and camping where I wish to keep items protected from water.

      Sea to Summit make it clear on the packaging that this product that this bag is not designed to be submerged and that the performance of the bag (presumably at keeping the contents dry) depends on the correct use of roll-top closure.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Info on Package">>
      My experience in the past with products similar to this is that the available space inside the bag is limited by the amout of rolling of the top that is required to get a good tight seal. This is further increased as the thickness of the fabric increases. In this case I found the Sea to Summit bag to be quite thin but not so thin to cause me alarm about keys or similar puntchuring a hole if I were to store these inside. Given the additional warning on the label to protect the bag from abrasion and sharp objects during use, I suspect this bag is not intended to be strapped to the outside of a raft or kayak (despite the picture on the label) as this would damage the sack and compromise the waterproof outer.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The instructions were located on a removable sticker at the top of the bag. Consistent with other bags, simply roll the top a few times (in this instance 3) and then clip the buckle together to seal and close. This bag has reinforcing at the top which makes it easy to roll and the clip slides together easily and feels firm when closed.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "Removable Instructions Sticker">>

      I easily removed the sticker as I didn't feel I needed to retain it for future reference as this is a very easy to use product. I would not have any issues remembering the 3 folds as I would usually put at least 3 or 4 folds in a roll-top closure system.

      TRYING IT OUT

      My first use of the bag was fairly straight forward. I was heading out for a twilight sailing race and figured I would use the bag to store my thin jacket, wallet, keys, glasses and a spare hat. In my view, 13 L is on the smaller side for dry bags so I was a little worried I would not fit as much in this bag as I would like. In this case all of the above items fitted without any issues.

      This bag features an oval shaped base, this made it easy to pack stuff inside as I could sit the bag on a table and it would remain upright. I also found the bright yellow colour was actually quite handy as when I needed to qucikly change glasses during the race I could locate my bag easily as it was nice and bright!

      SUMMARY

      Overall my initial impressions of the Sea to Summit Dry Bag are good. I own a lot of their products and have always found them to be excellent in terms of design and usability and durability, and this product appears to be consistent with my previous experiences.

      I plan to test this bag over the next few months, which will see me out sailing twice a week, a few kayak sessions in there and some camping and hiking. The results of my Field Testing will be posted in the coming months.

      My thanks to Sea to Summit and backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity to test this product.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
    • ftroop94
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2012
        Jamie,

        Nice Report. Following are your edits! <Colour> gave my spellcheck concern, but I'd say that colloquial can slide!

        ~Steve

        >> Manufacturer's Website: manufacturer's website

        EDIT: http://www.seatosummit.com
        Your link went straight to the product, it needs to go to the main page.

        >> MSRP: US$

        EDIT: MSRP: N/A

        >> On their website, Sea to Summit also have a picture of a blue colour and lime green colour that are available.

        EDIT: …also has

        >> This new product from Sea to Summit is part of it;'s extensive range of stacks and bags.

        EDIT: ...is part of its

        >> Sea to Summit claim it is UV resistant and wont crack in extreme cold.

        EDIT:…Sea to Summit claims it is…

        >> Sea to Summit make it clear on the packaging that this product that this bag is not designed to be submerged and that the performance of the bag (presumably at keeping the contents dry) depends on the correct use of roll-top closure.

        EDIT: Sea to Summit makes it clear…
        Comment: I've submerged other S2S bags to satisfy my own curiousity!!!

        >> My experience in the past with products similar to this is that the available space inside the bag is limited by the amout of rolling of the top that is required to get a good tight seal.

        EDIT: amount

        >>. In this case I found the Sea to Summit bag to be quite thin but not so thin to cause me alarm about keys or similar puntchuring a hole if I were to store these inside.

        EDIT puncturing

        >> In this case all of the above items fitted without any issues.

        EDIT: …items fit without

        >> I also found the bright yellow colour was actually quite handy as when I needed to qucikly change glasses during the race I could locate my bag easily as it was nice and bright!

        EDIT: …quite handy when I needed to quickly

        >> My thanks to Sea to Summit and backpackgeartest.org for the opportunity to test this product.

        EDIT: BackpackGearTest.org

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2012

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2012
            Thanks for the edits Steve. All corrected and uploaded.

            Cheers,

            Jamie