EDIT IR - HEAT HOLDERS ORIGINAL SOCKS - Charles Nichols

  • hikingshoes
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2012
      Richard,
      Here is my edit along with my tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/brf4x37

      HEAT HOLDERS ORIGINAL SOCKS
      TEST SERIES BY CHARLES NICHOLS
      IR
      December 19, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Charles Nichols
      EMAIL: hikingshoesATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 49
      LOCATION: Corinth, Mississippi, United States
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 218 lb (98.90 kg)

      Over the years, I have come to love hiking/backpacking. I have hiked sections of the Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina, Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee. I started out with a 45 lb to 50 lb (20 to 23 kg) pack. Meeting other hikers using lighter gear has encouraged me to get lighter gear of my own. My pack weight is 28 lb - 30 lb (13 to 14 kg) now.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Heat Holders
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website:<<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.heatholders.com">>
      Manufactured in Indonesia
      MSRP: US$15.99 for the Original style ( Men's)
      Listed Weight: wasn't listed
      Measured Weight: 4.1oz (116 g) per pair
      The Men's Original style is being tested
      Size: Men's US 7-12, UK 6-11, EUR 39-45
      Ladies US 8-13, UK 7-12, EUR 41-47
      Materials: 91% Acrylic, 5% Nylon, 3% Polyester, 1% Elastane.
      Available colors: Red, Black, Charcoal, Earth Brown, Denim, Forest Green, Stonewash, Navy
      Colors tested: Charcoal and Black
      According to the manufacturer the socks have a soft fleece lining with advanced construction which holds more warm air close to the skin, keeping my feet warmer longer. TOG ( Thermal Overall Grade) rating of 2.3 which measures the textile's thermal ability. The higher the rating, the better the socks are able to keep your feet warm.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I had two pairs of socks arrive and like most socks packaged in a sleeve type cardboard. The package contained the product information and washing instructions.
      My first impressions was that they are really thick, but very soft inside and the outside. They are one color with a small tag at the top marking "Heat Holders". According to the manufacturer the packaging shows there seven times warmer than a basic sock.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Care Instructions: Machine wash in warm water
      Tumble dry at lowest setting.
      Do not use bleach.
      Do not dry clean.
      Do not iron.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Due to the socks being so thick, I was concerned they might not fit into my work boots. I wore the socks along with my boots at work for ten hours. The socks were warm but felt tight in my boots. I plan to wear them on my upcoming hiking trip for additional testing, and will include these results in my Long Term Report.

      SUMMARY

      The socks are comfortable, and warm.
      I have two hiking trips coming up so this will give me a chance to test the warmth.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Thank you Heat Holders and BackpackGearTest.org for choosing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
    • hikingshoes
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2012
        Richard,

        Here is my edit along with my tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/brf4x37
        <http://tinyurl.com/brf4x37>

        Happy New Years!!

        "http://www.heatholders.com <http://www.heatholders.com> ">>
[...]

        shows they're seven times warmer than a basic sock.

      • richardglyon@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 31, 2012
          Sorry Charles, I should have made it clear in my off-list note. No need to repost here; simply delete your previously uploaded IR and upload the revised one.

          Cheers, Richard

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "hikingshoes" <hikingshoes@...> wrote:

          > Richard,
          >
          > Here is my edit along with my tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/brf4x37
          > <http://tinyurl.com/brf4x37>
          >
          > Happy New Years!!

        • hikingshoes
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2013
            Richard,
            This is the revised one. Please, let me know it all is well. Charles

          • richardglyon@att.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2013
              Charles, it's fine, and I note that you uploaded. For future installments of Test Reports, note that the procedures on this group differ somewhat from the BackpackGearTest list. Here once a Monitor posts edits you're good to upload UNLESS the Monitor requests a re-post. That's usually done only if the Monitor has requested clarification of a particular section or a significant addition or re-write.