Initial Report - Heat Holders Socks - Charles Nichols

  • hikingshoes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2012
      HEAT HOLDERS SOCKS
      TEST SERIES BY CHARLES NICHOLS
      IR
      December 19, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Charles Nichols
      EMAIL: hikingshoesATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 49
      LOCATION: Corinth, Mississippi, United States
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      WEIGHT: 218 lb (98.90 kg)

      Over the years, I have come to love hiking/backpacking. I have hiked
      sections of the Appalachian Trail, Palmetto Trail in South Carolina,
      Sipsey Wilderness in Alabama, and Big Hill Pond State Park in Tennessee.
      I started out with a 45 lb to 50 lb (20 to 23 kg) pack. After meeting
      other hikers using lighter gear has encouraged me to get lighter gear of
      my own. My current pack weight is 28 lb - 30 lb (13 to 14 kg) now.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Heat Holders
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      "http://usa.heatholders.com <http://usa.heatholders.com> ">>
      MSRP: US$15.99 for the Original style ( Men's)
      Listed Weight: wasn't listed
      Measured Weight: 4.1oz (116g)
      Size: Mens US 7-12, UK 6-11, EUR 39-45
      Ladies US 8-13, UK 7-12, EUR 41-47
      Materail: 91% Acrylic, 5% Nylon, 3% Polyester, 1% Elastane.
      Available colors: Red, Black, Charcoal, Earth Brown, Denim, Forest
      Green, Stonewash, Navy
      The socks has a soft fleece lining with advanced construction which
      holds more warm air close to the skin, keeping my feet warmer longer.
      The socks has a TOG ( Thermal Overall Grade) rating of 2.3 which
      measures the textile's thermal ability. The higher the rating, the
      better the socks are able to keep your feet warm.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I had two pairs of socks arrive and like most socks packaged in a sleeve
      type cardboard. The package contained the product information and
      washing instructions.
      My first impressions which there really thick, but very soft inside and
      the outside. They are one color with a small tag at the top marking
      "Heat Holders". The packaging shows there seven times warmer than a
      basic sock.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      Care Instructions: Machine wash in warm water
      Tumble dry at lowest setting.
      Do not use bleach.
      Do not dry clean.
      Do not iron.

      TRYING IT OUT

      Due to the socks being so thick, I was concerned they might not fit into
      my work boots. I wore the socks along with my boots at work for ten
      hours. The socks was warm but felt alittle tight in my boots. I plan to
      wear them on my up coming hiking trip for additional testing, and will
      include these results in my field report.

      SUMMARY

      The socks are comfortable, and warm.
      I have two hiking trips coming up so this will give me a chance to test
      the warmth.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Thank you Heat Holders and
      BackpackGearTest.org for choosing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.