FR: NEMO Obi 2P tent- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hi Mike,

      I've posted my FR for the Obi 2p.  Here is the text and link ready for your edits.

      Thanks for reviewing it and providing edits.

      Nancy

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR-%20NEMO%20Obi%20Tent-%20Nancy%20Griffith/#FRPT

      http://tinyurl.com/cnjp266

      FIELD LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Bassi Creek">>Over the Field Test period I used the tent for two overnight and two three-day backpacking trips and one three-day car camping trip for a total of eight nights.  All uses were two-person with my husband sharing the tent with me.  He is 5' 10 " (1.8 m) tall and weighs 165 lb (75 kg).
      Backpacking:
      Sierra Nevada Foothills, California:  overnight; 1,900 ft (579 m) elevation; 52 F (11 C) overnight low with clear conditions.
      Sylvia Lake, Desolation Wilderness, California: 2 nights; 6,700 ft (2,042 m) elevation; 25 F (-4 C) overnight lows with clear to partly cloudy conditions.
      Two Peaks Trail, El Dorado National Forest, California: 2 nights; 6,560 and 8,220 ft (2,000 and 2,505 m) elevation; 28 and 40 F (-2 and 4 C) overnight lows with clear to cloudy and windy conditions.
      Sierra Nevada Foothills, California: overnight; elevation 1,900 ft (579 m); 38 F (3 C) overnight low with partly cloudy conditions.
      Car Camping:
      Bear River Reservoir, California: 2 nights; 5,849 ft (1,783 m) elevation; 50 F (10 C) overnight lows with clear conditions.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Bear River">>I originally had some concern that the Jake's Foot connection wouldn't hold that securely but the ends of the pole have to be snapped in and out.  They never came apart inadvertently.  The big test was as the Bear River Reservoir car camp.  We had some drunken neighbors who decided to have a rock concert in a site near us.  We finally decided to move after dark by grabbing our tent with the sleeping bag and pads still inside and putting it all in the boat.  We drove several miles to a new site at fairly low speeds but still enough to put plenty of stress on the connections.  Everything was intact and we were able to carry it to a new spot and stake the vestibule for an extremely simple move.
      My favorite way to sleep in a tent is with the rain fly in the 'half-fly' position.  This is where I fold the head half of the fly over the tent to create a half vestibule and leave the tent open to the sky at the head.  Provided the overnight temperatures aren't too low and it isn't raining, I love this configuration for being able to see the sky at night.  In any case, we initially set up the tent in this way since it is so much easier to get the sleeping gear inside without having the rain fly in the way.
      I find it really easy to get into the vestibule and door since I don't have to bend down too much.  It is a little harder to get out of the tent since my legs have to be folded up toward top of tent to exit.  I appreciate the D-shaped doors since when they're unzipped they are out of the way.
      The interior space of the tent is a bit cramped for two people.  My husband and I are of average size and like to be close together but it was still a little too cramped at times.  The glove clips that attach the tent wall to the rain fly definitely help to make more interior space and it is noticeably more cramped without the rain fly.  At first we had some trouble using the glove clips since they are too stiff to pinch open.  However we found a video on the NEMO website which explains how to use them which made it much easier.  I shortened the straps that connect the glove clip to the rain fly by tying a knot or two in them.  This makes them pull the wall of the tent out even more.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "with two pads"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Looking towards feet">>The floor width tapers from 50 in (127 cm) at the head to 42 in (107 cm) but I found it helpful to stake out the floor sides to help get closer to this width. Our double-wide sleeping bag or quilt and two 20 in (51 cm) wide sleeping pads nearly fill the entire floor area.  There is a small area above our heads.
      There was little to no condensation on the tent or fly on most trips.  The last overnighter was without rain but it had rained the day before and by morning there was a lot of condensation under the fly despite the fly vent being open.  The single wall at tent head allows moisture to wick through onto clothing and the top of the sleeping bag which touches the wall of the tent.
      The light pocket is a cool idea which I used frequently.  It was really nice to put my headlamp into the pocket when getting ready for bed.  It lights the entire tent and is easy to turn off while in the pocket.  I found the side pocket to be less useful.  One night I put my eyeglasses and sunglasses in when I went to sleep and by morning they were on top of my sleeping bag.  Apparently my turning over during the night was enough to knock them out of the pocket.  I eventually stopped using it for much and just stored my small items at the top corner by my head.
      I really like the compression stuff sack and am able to get the tent into a very small size in my pack.  The bottom straps on the tent sack can be hooked together allowing it to easily be used as a small food bag for hanging food overnight.  I can't figure out the benefit of having the pole bag attached to the tent bag and never used it this way.  I packed the tent and stakes in the bottom of my pack and put the pole in the outer side pocket of my pack.

      SUMMARY

      The NEMO Obi 2P tent is a well-constructed, well-designed two-person tent with great features while still being lightweight.
      Great:
      Lightweight for a double-walled tent
      Accurate weights advertised
      Two doors and vestibules
      Easy in
      Light pocket
      Compression stuff sack
      Not-so-great:
      A bit cramped for two people
      A little difficult to get out
      Side pocket lost contents overnight
      This concludes my Field Test Report.  Please check back in two months for my Long-Term Report.  Thanks to NEMO Equipment, Inc. and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

    • Mike Mosack
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
        Hi Nancy,
        Good use of the tent. Here are your edits in the usual format,
        EDIT – must change
        edit – my recommended change if you agree
        comment – just that.

        “I originally had some concern that the Jake's Foot connection wouldn't hold that securely but the ends of the pole have to be snapped in and out. They never came apart inadvertently.”

        edit – This reads a bit odd to me as if it is a disjointed sentence or that possibly could be two sentences made into one. Maybe something like, “I originally had some concern that the Jake's Foot connection wouldn't hold that securely but once I found that the ends of the pole have to be snapped in and out they never came apart inadvertently.” Might sound better…

        “The light pocket is a cool idea which I used frequently.”

        EDIT – The “tenses” (is/used) conflict – might I suggest, “The light pocket was a cool idea which I used frequently.” Or “The light pocket is a cool idea which I use frequently.”

        “I really like the compression stuff sack and am able to get the tent into a very small size in my pack.”

        edit – I would replace “size” with “space”

        That’s it – upload when you’re ready and please remember to delete the test copy.

        Have a great day

        Mike

      • Nancy Griffith
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2012
          Hi Mike,

          Thanks for quick edits.  I appreciate your input.  We're having a monsoon this weekend it would seem so it's perfect weather for reports.  We just got back from driving around  to photograph all of our recently formed lakes and waterfalls :)

          Have a great rest of the weekend.

          Nancy