APPLICATION - Wolverine Gauge Boots - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2012
      Brett,

      I could really use some winter boots, so let's hope the stars align, the Mods offer their graces, and my app impresses you!

      1. DISCLAIMER

      I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v. 0609, and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities. My test agreement has been submitted and is on file.

      2. MY BRIEF BIO

      Name - Derek Hansen
      Age - 36
      Gender - Male
      Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight - 170 lb (77 kg)
      Electronic Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
      Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a 3-season overnight pack weight of 15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast. I prefer simple, multi-use gear that I can rely on in a variety of conditions.

      3. BRIEF TEST PLAN

      When most people think of Arizona, they picture palm trees and a dry, warm climate. Flagstaff, in contrast, is a cold, wet place--markedly different than southern Arizona, which is dry and warm. Flagstaff is situated high in the mountains (thousands of feet/meters above "mile high" Denver, Colorado), surrounded by pine trees and aspen, and boasts more than 100 inches (254+ cm) of snowfall each year. At 7,000 ft (2,100 m) elevation, Flagstaff gets a wide-range of conditions, including summer monsoons, wind, and moderate summer temperatures. This is where I live and where I primarily will test these boots.

      I have monthly backpacking and camping trips planned with a Boy Scout troop I work with. Outside of scouting, I often get out on one or more overnight trips each month along with multiple day hikes or camps with my family.

      While I typically hike with trail runners and sandals in the summer time, snowfall and cold temperatures require more significant footwear. I reluctantly admit that my only winter footwear for the past few years has been my aging military boots (go Army!), which don't offer nearly enough insulation or water protection.

      If predictions are correct, Flagstaff is due for a heavy winter this season. I plan on pulling a pulk this season and doing some backpacking at elevation. I've also got a pair of snowshoes that I'd like to see get more use. These boots will give me a chance to get out more in the snow and colder conditions.

      4. CURRENT LOAD AND TEST STATUS PAGE

      Report Uploads: 10 @ -1

      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

      Acli-Mate Sports Drink (2 series test) - LTR Mar
      Suisse Sport Mammoth Tent - LTR Jan
      Suisse Sport McKinley Sleeping Bag - LTR Jan
      Outdoor Products Day Pack - FR Jan

      5. OWNER REVIEWS
      I have completed five (5) owner reviews in 2012.

      6. OUTSTANDING APPLICATIONS
      Acli-Mate Sports Drink

      7. ADDITIONAL BGT ROLES

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

      I am a test monitor and editor.

      I am also working on the BGT web development team to design and deploy the new BackpackGearTest website. This is an on-again, off-again project. Mostly off.