REPOST IR: Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack - Gail

  • woodswoman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2012
      Reposting because the html tinyurl did not paste the first time around (that site is really messed up tonight)

      Hello Mystery Monitor,
      Here is my IR for the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack. Thanks in advance for the edits. Gail

      HTML:

      http://tinyurl.com/cqwfc2q

      Sea to Summit
      Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack
      Test
      Series by:
      Gail Staisil, Marquette, Michigan

      Page Contents:

      Initial Report -
      November 25, 2012

      ________________________________
      Initial
      Report:
      November 25, 2012

      Tester
      Information

      Name: Gail Staisil
      Age:60
      Gender:Female
      Height:5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight:152 lb (69 kg)
      Location:Marquette, Michigan
      USA
      Email:woodswoman
      2001 AT yahoo DOT com
      For
      the last 20
      years, backpacking has become a passion. I am a four-season backpacker
      and an off-trail navigator. Although
      I do take yearly trips to the American West or Southwest, the majority
      of my trips are in Michigan and Canada.My pack weight varies considerably but my base weight is below 18 lb
      (8 kg). I am primarily a tarp camper who averages more than 50 nights a
      year backpacking in a huge variety of weather conditions including
      relentless rain, wet snow and sub-zero temps.

      ________________________________
      Product Information

      Manufacturer
      Sea to Summit

      Website http://www.seatosummit.com

      Model Ultra-Sil
      Dry Daypack

      Color
      Black
      (also available in  Sky Blue, Orange and Lime

      Size
        22 L (1343 cu in)

      Manufacturer
      Weight   3.2 oz (91 g) on website, 3.5 oz (99 g) on packaging

      Tested
      Weight   3.6 oz (102 g)

      Model Year 2012

      MSRP NA

      ________________________________
      Initial Impressions
      and Product Description

      The Sea to
      Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack arrived with not any outstanding imperfections. The pack I
      received is in the color of black with gray accents. There is a printed
      label (Sea to Summit) on one of the gray panels but it is barely
      visible. The label looks like it was cut a bit off as the bottom of the first letter "S" has been chopped off. This is a purely
      cosmetic defect but worth noting.

      The pack was
      enveloped in a tiny stuff sack that measured approximately 5 in (12.7 cm) in length
      and only 3 in (7.6 cm) in diameter (when empty). Although I
      expected it to be small, it is probably the smallest stuff sack I've
      ever seen. The daypack pulled out of the stuff sack with a bit of
      effort so needless to say it probably won't be stored that way very
      often. The stuff sack has a snap on the end of it that fastens inside
      the pack to hold any other small object that I don't want to
      lose. It also makes the likelihood of losing the stuff sack not
      an issue.

      Design and Technical
      Features

      As is
      evident by the name of the daypack (Ultra-Sil) it is constructed with very light weight
      siliconized Cordura fabric. This fabric has a small check pattern
      integrated into the fabric for strength and is reportedly
      water-resistant. The daypack is designed to be very un-fussy and
      simple. The exterior has no pockets, loops (other than a very small hang loop on back), or waistbelt but there is a
      corded lacing system on the front of the pack. The reflective
      non-stretch cord zig zags through six loops (three on each side) and can be
      tensioned by a very tiny cord-lock device. This allows the fastening of an
      item on the outside of the pack for quick access.

      The interior of the pack is without features other than the
      aforementioned stuff sack that attaches to the pack by means of a
      Hypalon material (rubber-like) insert with a single snap. There is no
      structure to the pack such as a backpanel.

      The pack is carried by the means of two simple shoulder straps also
      made out of sil-nylon material. Narrow webbing (0.25 in/0.64 cm) is attached to the side
      seams of the back by means of a triangular insert of sil-nylon
      material. The straps can be adjusted with a small buckle on each side.

      The top of the pack has a roll-top closure that is often found on
      typical dry bags. The closure is made of Hypalon and it is labeled "To
      seal roll at least four times and clip buckle". Although the
      daypack has the word "Dry" in its name the pack is only water resistant
      and according to the manufacturer it is not intended for situations
      where
      the pack will be submerged. All of the seams in the pack are double
      stitched and then taped to seal against water though.

      I have already filled the daypack and took it out on a test run while
      cross country skiing. Inside I packed a light down sweater and
      emergency supplies. It seemed comfortable enough without having a chest
      strap but I do wonder how it will function or stay in place while
      wearing a jacket of more slippery material as the fabric of the daypack
      is very slick. When I stuffed the pack full it measured approximately
      18 in (46 cm) in length (rolling the top closure four times) and
      about 11 in (28 cm) at the bottom tapering a bit to the top. Because the
      pack is unstructured it is really hard to accurately measure but my
      estimate is close.

      Sea To Summit
      products have a lifetime warranty. I look forward to using the pack in
      all kinds of winter weather.

        Pros
      So Far

          * Water-resistant

          * Light
      weight

          * Roll-top
      closure easy to use
       Cons
      So Far

          *  Stuff
      sack is very tight (although I don't envision using it much to store
      the daypack)

      ________________________________
      Tester Remarks

      Thanks
      to Sea to Summit and BackpackGearTest for this opportunity to test the Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack.This concludes my
      Initial Report. The Field Report
      will
      be appended
      this report in approximately two months.
      Please check back then for more information.

      Top of Page
    • the_fish_guy
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2012
        Gail,

        Sorry for the delay . . . I missed the email assigning me this test.

        Below are some items for your consideration. HTML looks great!

        Mike

        <SNIP>>

        Although I do take yearly trips to the American West or Southwest, the majority of my trips are in Michigan and Canada.My pack weight varies considerably but my base weight is below 18 lb (8 kg).

        Comment: it appears in the text version that there isn't a space between these sentences, but it displays fine on the HTML, so no worries. Just weird. :-)

        <SNIP>

        Color
        Black (also available in Sky Blue, Orange and Lime

        EDIT: need closing parenthesis at the end.

        Initial Impressions
        and Product Description

        The Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Daypack arrived with not any outstanding imperfections.

        Comment: I think this would read better if you replaced "not any" with "no"

        The pack I received is in the color of black with gray accents.

        Comment: I think this would read better if you deleted "the color of"

        <END>