Application: Hillsound Super Armadillo Nano Gaiters - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 2012
      Application to test the Hillsound Super
      Armadillo Nano Gaiters
      Derek,Please accept my application to test the Hillsound Super
      Armadillo Nano Gaiters.  I have read the BGT
      Survival Guide v. 0609 and Bylaws v. 0609 and I agree to comply with all
      requirements and timetables.  My signed
      Tester Agreement is on file with BGT.

      Reviewer Information:

      Name:Ryan L. Christensen
      Age:  48
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight:  235 lb (107 kg)
      Email address:  bigdawgryan (at) yahoo (dot) com
      City, State, Country:  Idaho
      Falls, Idaho  U.S.A

      Backpacking
      Background:

      I began backpacking at twelve, continuing until 25.  After an extended hiatus, due in part to a
      bad back, I resumed cycling, hiking, and backpacking several years ago and began
      snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.  I share
      my love for backpacking and these sports with my children.  For several years, we have hiked or camped nearly
      every month, year-round.  We vary our
      experience: desert, forest, meadow, and mountain; spring, summer, fall, and
      winter; sunshine, rain, wind, or snow.  I
      am a lightweight backpacker, but carry a full array of necessary gear.

      Field Information:

      I live in southeastern Idaho at approximately 4,700 ft (1,433 m)
      above sea level.  Outings during the test
      period will include elevations ranging between 4,700 ft (1,433 m) and
      12,668 feet (3,861 m).  Potential destinations for what will be snowshoe and cross-country
      outings once the snow falls include the Portneuf Range near Pocatello, Idaho;
      Craters of the Moon National Monument near Arco, Idaho; the Kelly Canyon Nordic
      Area near Idaho Falls, Idaho; and the Palisades and Teton Valley areas.  Weather during the test period should include
      wind, rain, snow with average temps ranging from highs in the low 60’s F (15 C)
      in October to the low teens F (-10 to -18 C).  However, the temperature can and often does drop to 30 below 0 F (-34 C)
      or colder.

      Proposed Test Plan:

      I normally get in several overnight ski/snow shoe trips
      during the winter; I intend to get in several this season.  I wear gaiters on all my cross-country skiing
      and snowshoeing outings and will wear the Super Armadillo Nano
      Gaiters on all my winter outings; both day and overnight trips.  I am interested in seeing
      whether these gaiters live up to the manufacturer’s claims that its Schoeller
      fabrics have premier breathable, waterproof and stretch capabilities.  How easily are they to don and doff?  Are these gaiters well suited for winter
      activities?  How well does the
      nanotech-based finish sluff off snow, leaves and other plant material, and
      mud?  I would like the opportunity to find
      the answers to these and most likely several questions unasked in this
      application.

      Current Tests:

      -          Black Diamond Mercury 75 backpack – Long Term Testing
      -          Suisse Sport "K2"
      mummy sleeping bag – Long Term Testing
      -          Obermeyer Kestral jacket – Initial Report due

      Tester Status Page:

      Test Applications Currently Under Consideration:

      -          None

      BGT Involvement:

      - Test Call Manager
      - Test Monitor