Application - Mountainsmith Trekking Poles - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2012
      Please accept my application to test the Mountainsmith Trekking Poles. I have read and understand the entire BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v0609 including Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Information:
      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lb (88 kg)
      Shoe Size: 13 Mens
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country:  Tucson, Arizona, USA
      I grew up backpacking in the Rockies.   I hike ranges throughout Arizona and Colorado year round.  I carry a light pack, mostly water.  I prefer a tarp shelter to my heavier 2-person tent.  I do many day hikes and I also spend as many as 5 days out at a time.  Temperatures range from below freezing to above 100 F (38 C), and elevations from 2,000 ft to 14,000 ft (610 m to 4, 300 m).  I bag a mountain almost every weekend, and I walk my dogs 4 miles daily through deep sand and overgrown mesquite trees in our local washes.

      Test Plan:
      I have always wanted to try trekking poles but have not had the chance yet. I feel they could be especially helpful now that I am still recovering form a foot surgery and having trouble clocking the extensive miles that I'm accustomed to. I plan on using the poles on every backpacking outing from the lowland Sonoran Desert to the Sky Island mountain tops and even on my planned trip to Colorado. I will report back on how sturdy they feel and how well they hold up to continued use. I am interested to see if they feel cumbersome compared to not carrying poles, or if they become so comfortable and useful that I feel I can't live without them.

      Current test load: Suisse Sport Mammoth Tent (LTR stage), Suisse Sport K2 Sleeping Bag (LTR stage). Gerber Instant Knife (FR stage), Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Day Bag (IR Stage).
      Tester status page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1896.htm
      Owner Reviews in past year: 10
      Link to reviews/tests: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/alexlegg
      Outstanding applications: Montbell Highland Jacket
      Additional BGT roles: None at this time.

      Thank you for the consideration!