Application - Montbell Highland Jacket - Alex Legg

  • alex
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2012
      Please accept my application to test the Montbell Highland Jacket. I have read and understand the entire BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v0609 including Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all requirements. My signed tester agreement is on file.

      Tester Information:
      Name:  Alex Legg
      Age:  30
      Gender:  Male
      Height:  6'4" (1.9 m)
      Weight:  195 lb (88 kg)
      Shoe Size: 13 Mens
      Email address:  alexlegg2 AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country:  Tucson, Arizona, USA
      I grew up backpacking in the Rockies.   I hike ranges throughout Arizona and Colorado year round.  I carry a light pack, mostly water.  I prefer a tarp shelter to my heavier 2-person tent.  I do many day hikes and I also spend as many as 5 days out at a time.  Temperatures range from below freezing to above 100 F (38 C), and elevations from 2,000 ft to 14,000 ft (610 m to 4, 300 m).  I bag a mountain almost every weekend, and I walk my dogs 4 miles daily through deep sand and overgrown mesquite trees in our local washes.

      Test Plan:
      This jacket is the perfect addition to my lightweight backpacking gear. I am surprised that a down jacket can pack down as small and as lightweight as Montbell claims. I have been very impressed with Montbell's products in the past, so I look forward to finding out how this jacket holds up to the test. I think that I could stop carrying heavy fleece or multiple base layers on my overnight trips while using this jacket. I foresee numerous outings in the Sky Island mountain ranges around Tucson this winter. Elevations will be above 8,000 ft and weather will be unpredictable. Often temperatures will get below freezing. I will also be spending some time in Colorado where temperatures will be cold and snowy regularly. The weight of this jacket makes it a great choice for those trips when I am not sure how quickly and severely the weather may change. It seems like I could just pull it out and throw it on whenever I needed it, all while not really noticing that I have been carrying it in my bag.

      Current test load: Suisse Sport Mammoth Tent (LTR stage), Suisse Sport K2 Sleeping Bag (LTR stage). Gerber Instant Knife (FR stage), Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Day Bag (Awaiting delivery).
      Tester status page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1896.htm
      Owner Reviews in past year: 10
      Link to reviews/tests: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/alexlegg
      Outstanding applications: Mountainsmith Trekking Poles
      Additional BGT roles: None at this time.

      Thank you for the consideration!