IR - Dahlgren Backpacking Socks - DLarsen

  • vicioushillbilly
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2012
      Howdy!

      Thanks in advance for your edits. The url is: http://tinyurl.com/dx5674a

      Dawn

      Test Report
      Dahlgren Backpacking Socks

      Initial Report 19 November 2012

      Name: Dawn Larsen
      Age: 51
      Gender: female
      Height: 5' 4" (163 cm)
      Weight: 155 lb (70 kg)
      Email address: vicioushillbilly AT gmail DOT com
      Florence, South Carolina USA

      Backpacking Background:
      I used to backpack in college a zillion years ago and just in the last few years have backpacked some private trails in Tennessee, Missouri and most recently South Carolina. I have been an avid car-camper for eleven years and I have kayak/canoe camped for four years, in South Carolina, Tennessee, Missouri and Arkansas. I use a lot of the same equipment for both. I hike hilly/rocky trails especially in Missouri (my home state) and Arkansas. I live in South Carolina and am busy checking out the terrain here with my nineteen year-old son.

      socks

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Dahlgren Footwear, Inc.
      Website: www.dahlgrenfootwear.com
      Product: Backpacking socks (located in Dahlgren's "Outdoor/Hiking" category)
      Size: M (for Women's US 71/2-101/2[EU 38-43, UK 5-8]; also available in S for US 4-7)
      Color: Thistle (also available in Cedar or Pitch) **The website lists S is only available in Thistle and Cedar, M in Cedar and Pitch, but mine are size M in Thistle.
      Weight, measured: 3.5 oz (99 g) per pair
      Height, measured heel to top: 9.25 in (23.5 cm)
      MSRP: $20.95 US
      All Dahlgren socks are made "exclusively" in the United States.

      The socks arrived in a plain mailing envelope and packaged like most socks with a cardboard printed cap and hangtag.

      Dahlgren's Backpacking socks are "Heavy Weight" crew length (over-the-ankle) wool socks intended for backpacking. The tag on the socks lists them as "Dri-Stride Alpaca." From Dahlgren's website: Dri-Stride employs Winking Rings and Wicking Channels (both of these are patented and trademarked) in the Transfer Zone (the fabric encircling the arch/instep area of the sock) to increase significantly the wicking from the Absorption Zones (heel and toe). The different areas of the sock have different fabric content. The toe and heel are 55% merino wool, 28% nylon, 17% alpaca; the arch/instep and Wicking Rings 70% recycled polyester 17% merino, 8% nylon, 5% alpaca; and the upper 75% recycled polyester, 23% nylon, 2% Spandex. According to the diagram on the tag attached to the socks, I think Dri-Stride works by driving the wicked-away perspiration to the "transfer zone" and up to the top of the sock for evaporation.

      I couldn't find a warrenty on Dahlgren's website, though there are instructions on returns and the website suggests that they will replace defective products. The customer pays for the return to Dahlgren's facility in Oregon.

      Initial Observations
      I love the color! These socks are very "cushy." They feel very warm. They almost seemed a little long to me when I first put them on because when I pulled them on, the heel landed up my ankle. I wear an US 8.5 shoe (EU 39). I situated them back where they should be and found that there is plenty of room in the toe box. I like that. They are also not very tight in any area around my foot. If they hold their shape, that will be fine, but I wonder if they will stretch out. When I put them on with a low/light hiking shoe, the heel slipped up my ankle a bit. I walked around a little and the heel does slip somewhat. These socks are heavier than any I own, so I will have to relace my boots to allow for the bulk. I also am wary because I'm typically not a big fan of the crew sock. I have wide calves and small ankles, so most crews fall down. These do not seem to bind my calves though. And wearing them around the house, they have not fallen down. They feel funny, though, because I'm not used to wearing crews.

      Because they are very cushy, I'll be tempted to sleep in them!

      What I like
      The Thistle color is beautiful!
      They feel very "cushy."
      They seem warm.

      What I don't like
      The heel slips a little in the shoe.
      I really don't like crew length socks.

      This concludes my Initial Report. Check back about mid-March for my Long Term Report. Many thanks to Dahlgren and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test their Backpacking socks.