Application: Mountainsmith Trekking Poles - Kurt Papke

  • Kurt Papke
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 2012
      Question: is this test a repeat of the one we did in 2009?:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Trekking%20Poles/Poles/Mountainsmith%20Carbonlite%20ProTrekking/

      Assuming not, my app follows.

      1. Disclaimer: I have read the BackpackGearTest.org bylaws v. 0609 in
      their entirety and my signed compliance statement is on file.

      2. Bio: Resident of Tucson, AZ. 6' 4", 230 lbs, age 59, gender=male,
      e-mail: kwpapke(at)gmail(dot)com. I do a variety of canyon, mountain
      and desert hiking, mostly in southern Arizona.

      3. Link to Previous Test Reports:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/kwpapke
      Includes one prior trekking pole test:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Trekking%20Poles/Poles/Black%20Diamond%20Trail%20Shock%20Trekking%20Poles/Test%20Report%20by%20Kurt%20Papke/

      4. Link to Test Status Page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1789.htm

      5. Tests in Progress: none

      6. Outstanding Applications: none

      7. Any BGT Roles: call manager, monitor(1)

      8. Test plan: I have never used carbon fiber poles before because I am
      very hard on my poles and have had reservations concerning carbon
      fiber durability. I always use poles when hiking except when
      scrambling, and between my substantial weight, tough canyon
      conditions, and hiking pace I manage to destroy a pair of poles
      annually. This typically occurs when I do a "scree slide" and my feet
      go out from underneath me when descending a steep, gravelly canyon
      trail. My poles end up breaking my fall - I'd rather sacrifice them
      than me.

      I am intrigued by several other features of these Mountainsmith poles:
      the neoprene strap sounds pretty comfy, and I've never used cork
      handles before. I am bit dubious of the twist-lock adjustments with
      their 160lb limits, but willing to give them a try. The shock
      absorber lockout is something I'd use on my mountain bike, but I'm
      curious to see if/how I would use it on a trekking pole.

      We are entering into the winter hiking season here in Southern AZ, so
      these poles will get most of their miles in low-altitude mountains
      such as the Superstitions and Tucsons. I also have a January trip
      planned to the Mojave desert in California.

      All that said, please accept my application for testing the
      Mountainsmith Carbonlite Pro trekking poles.

      Regards,
      --Kurt
    • ringrat55
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 19, 2012
        Kurt,

        The poles have had some design and materials updates since 2009 - 7075 aluminum now vs. 6061 aluminum then, etc.

        Thanks for the app,

        Andrea