IR - Dahlgren Socks - Jerry Adams

  • jerry adams
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2012
      Thanks for editing this one Kerri

      http://tinyurl.com/d2qgczm

      DAHLGREN BACKPACKING SOCKS
      TEST SERIES BY JERRY ADAMS
      IR
      November 14, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Jerry Adams
      EMAIL: jerryaadamsatyahoodotcom
      AGE: 58
      LOCATION: Portland, Oregon, USA
      GENDER: m
      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      WEIGHT: 195 lb (88.50 kg)

      I started hiking about 45 years ago. My first backpack was 40 years ago. I currently try to do one backpack trip of 1 to 5 nights every month (which can be tricky in the winter). Mostly I stay in the Western half of Oregon and Washington. In recent years I have shifted to lightweight - my pack weight without food and water is about 12 lb (6 kg). I make a lot of my own gear - silnylon tarp-tent, bivy, synthetic bag, simple bag style pack.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Dahlgren Footwear, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.dahlgrenfootwear.com/">>
      MSRP: none
      Listed Weight: none
      Measured Weight: 3.98 oz (113 g)
      Other details:
      The Dahlgren Backpacking socks are heavy weight socks for backpacking.
      Dahlgren Footwear, Inc. is located near Portland, Oregon and makes all their socks locally.
      They make a number of styles including Expedition (extra heavy weight, tall), Backpacking (heavy weight), Hiking (medium weight),...  I am testing the Backpacking style.
      These socks weigh more than other socks I have worn, so they are definitely heavy weight.  They feel very thick.  They should be good for cooler winter backpacking, which is exactly what my testing will be.  If I was doing warmer weather hiking, I would probably choose a lighter sock.
      The socks come in 3 colors - Moss (green), Bark (grey/brown), and Pitch (Black).  I am testing the Bark color.
      I wear size 12 (US) shoes, so I'm testing the XL size which is supposed to fit size 11 - 13.
      I am testing one pair of socks.
      Right and left side of socks:
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Right and Left sides">>
      The socks come up to the bottom of my calf, about 11 inches (28 cm) from the floor:
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Dahlgren Backpacking Sock">>
      The Toe/Heel is made of 55% merino wool, 28% nylon, and 17% alpaca.  The Arch/instep is made of 70% recycled polyester, 17% merino, 8% nylon, and 5% alpaca.  The leg is made of 75% recycled polyester, 23% nylon, and 2% spandex.
      The Dahlgren socks use patented Dri-Stride technology.  There are a number of different zones - absorption zones,  wicking rings, wicking channels, and evaporation zones - to absorb, transfer and evaporate moisture.  In the pictures above, the wicking rings are the horizontal linear features and the wicking channels are the vertical linear features.  Since the absorption zones are on the toe and heel, the wicking zones are in the instep/arch, and the evaporation zone is on the ankle, the idea is to absorb moisture in the feet and evaporate it in the ankles.  This makes a lot of sense because my socks always get damp from sweat on my feet because it evaporates only slowly out the boots.  If that moisture can be wicked up to the ankles, it would evaporate a lot better.
      I will be wearing the socks inside waterproof-breathable boots with lightweight breathable nylon gaiters. Normally, my socks get a little damp from sweat.  I will get a good opportunity to test this Dri-Stride technology.  I'm always a little skeptical of features like this - that they're just marketing features with no performance advantage.  I will be a good tester of this.
      One disadvantage to all these zones, is wherever there is a transition from one zone to another, there is an opportunity to have a gap or bulge, but I carefully examined both socks and the transitions are very smooth.  Also, the Y-heel and toe are all very smooth.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      I tried on the socks and they feel very comfortable.  I think their heavy weight will provide some warmth during my winter testing.
      The XL size seems to fit my size 12 feet.  They are a little tight around the ankles so I don't think they'll slip down.  They are a little tight around my feet, but it feels like there's more stretch available - I think they would be comfortable if I had a size 11 or 13 foot, as they advertise.
      They appear to be very well made.  The knitting is very uniform everywhere on the socks, including the transitions between different zones.

      SUMMARY

      The Dahlgren Backpacking socks are heavy weight socks for backpacking or hiking.  Since they're heavy weight, I think they're best suited for colder weather hiking.
      They are made with a combination of natural and synthetic fibers.
      They're well made - very uniform feeling across the different zones of the socks - heel, toe,...
      They use Dri-Stride technology which is supposed to wick moisture up the socks and out at the ankles.  I'm skeptical, but I'll evaluate whether the socks are drier when I'm backpacking.
      I'll use the socks on a couple backpacking trips each during the Field Report and Long Term Report periods.  These will be colder weather.  I'll be wearing the socks with waterproof breathable boots and light breathable nylon gaiters.
      This concludes my Initial Report.  Look foreword to my Field Report in two months.  Thanks to Dahlgren Footwear, Inc. and BackpackGearTest.org for letting me test these.

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

    • Kerri Larkin
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2012
        Hi Jerry,

        Apologies for the delay in getting these edits to you. I'm on the road at present so only getting intermittent internet access. There's only a few edits needed and they follow the standard format:
        EDIT: Must be changed
        Edit: a suggested change
        Comment: No need to change - a comment only.

        The HTML looks fine, so once the edits are completed please go ahead and upload your report.

        They make a number of styles including Expedition (extra heavy weight, tall), Backpacking (heavy weight), Hiking (medium weight),... I
        EDIT: For clarity, could you delete the comma after "weight)"and make the "I" the start of a new sentence please. It's okay to leave the ellipsis, so it would read, "medium weight)� I am

        If that moisture can be wicked up to the ankles, it would evaporate a lot better.
        EDIT: Past and present tense (can, would). Can you please change "can" to "could".

        I think they would be comfortable if I had a size 11 or 13 foot, as they advertise.
        EDIT: If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying here that they fit the size 12 foot, but would also be comfortable for a size 11 or size 13 foot? If that's the case, can you insert the word "also" after "would" to read, "I think they would also be�"

        They're well made - very uniform feeling across the different zones of the socks - heel, toe,�
        Edit: if using the ellipsis, there is no need for a comma. However, for clarity you may want to consider changing the end of the sentence to something like, "�zones of the socks - heel, toe, ankle and leg."

        Look foreword to my Field Report in two months.
        EDIT: Please change "foreword" to "forward"

        That's it! These look to be an interesting design so I'll look forward to your Field Report.
        Kind Regards,

        Kerri

      • jerry adams
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 18, 2012