LTR - Columbia OmniFreeze - Justin Potts

  • Justin Potts
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2012
      Gail,
      Here is the link and text for my LTR for your editing pleasure.

      Thanks,
      Justin Potts
      -Pottsy

      HTML:
      http://tinyurl.com/aepg5jk

      Text:
      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      First, a 15-day, 14-night trip in the Sangre De Cristo Mountains in late September. Elevation ~13,000 ft (4,000 m) with somewhere around 5,300 ft (1,600 m) gain from the base. Covering somewhere between 10-12 mi (16-19 km) a day. Here it also rained every day at 4-6 PM like clockwork.

      Second, a three-night backpacking trip in the Wichita Wildlife Refuge in September. We covered roughly 5 mi (8 km) per day. The terrain was relatively flat, and it rained hard all four days/three nights. It would probably be best described as a swamp trudge vs. a backpacking trip...

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      As well as wearing this shirt backpacking I have been wearing it on my morning rides as a baselayer underneath my jersey. This was mostly just to get more use out of it, plus it works very well wicking moisture and keeping me dry.

      As the weather has started to get cooler the OmniFreeze found its way to the bottom of my polypro drawer until just recently. I put it on underestimating how chilly it was outside and actually found an unlabeled use for it. Columbia promotes it as a baselayer to keep dry and cool. But I have been using it to keep me slightly warmer since it wicks moisture away from my skin and keeps me dry so that I don't get chills from sweat cooling while riding in the mornings.

      One more thing I did discover is that this shirt dries very quickly, which could probably go without saying considering what this shirt was designed for. But still yet I was surprised by how fast it dried after getting caught in a rain shower that soaked me to the bone.

      Aside from this new found use, everything has remained relatively the same. The OmniFreeze is an extremely comfortable baselayer. The shirt has a snug athletic fit while at first feels a little too tight and uncomfortable but shortly after putting it on I forget that I am even wearing a shirt.

      The construction of this shirt is still solid, I have not had any stray threads coming undone in the stitching, and no spots of serious wear worth mentioning. I did snag it once pretty good in Colorado, which created a small hole, but it has not spread/become larger even wearing it many times since then.

      SUMMARY

      All in all, this is a wonderful year round base layer to keep dry, cool, and warm. It is comfortable enough to wear all day long and does not chafe at all. I am just as excited about this shirt as I was the day I received it, and I plan to continue to wear it as my primary go to base layer...

      Finally I would like to thank Columbia Sportswear and BackpackGearTest.org for this opportunity. This concludes my report for the Columbia OmniFreeze baselayer SST.

      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.