FR: Suisse Sport K2 Sleeping Bag - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2012
      Kurt, et al:

      Here is my Field Report on the Suisse Sport K2 sleeping bag.  The HTML file is available for your review via this link: http://snipurl.com/25i7sbm%c2%a0%c2%a0 The text version is included below for your review as well.

      Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.  Ryan

      FIELD REPORT
      November 4, 2012

      Pros Thus Far:

          smooth fabric
          color combination
          width through the chest/shoulders

      Cons Thus Far:

          quality of workmanship
          chest baffle placement
          zipper

      Field Locations and Test Conditions:

      In August, I slept in the bag on an overnight backpack trip in Island Park, located between Ashton, Idaho and West Yellowstone, Montana. Island Parks is approximately 6,500 ft (2,000 m) above sea level.

      I slept in the bag on an overnight backpack trip to the Menan Buttes, located approximately 38 mi (61 km) northeast of Idaho Falls. The North Menan Butte is designated as a National Natural Landmark.

      In September, I slept in the bag on another overnight trip in Island Park and on an overnight backpacking trip in the Kelly Canyon Nordic Area, which is located 26 miles (42 km) northeast of Idaho Falls, in the Targhee National Forest. The Nordic Area starts at an elevation of approximately 5,900 ft (1,798 m) and reaches elevations of 6,700 ft (2,042 m).

      In October, I slept in the bag one night near Idaho Falls, Idaho at an elevation of approximately 6,000 ft (1,829 m) above sea level.

      Observations:

      The bag is nice and roomy. It comfortably accommodates my 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) 245 lb (117 kg) frame.

      Thus far, the bag has been warm enough. The only problem that I have experienced is with the zipper. The zipper does not stay securely in place; it tends to come unzipped as I move around in the night. To this point, temps have not been cold enough to pose a problem. However, temps are dropping, so we'll see what issues this causes me during the rest of the test series.

      The hood does not cinch as tightly around my face as other bags I own. As stated earlier temps have not been cold enough for the is to be an issue. We'll see how I feel about this after spending time in it in colder temperatures.

      For me, the chest baffle seems to be in a slightly awkward place. If I and higher in the bag to better utilize the hood, then the baffle seems to be too low. If, however, I slide down a bit in the bag, the baffle seems to be right under my chin. It is not a major issue, however it seems a bit awkward to me.

      The workmanship issues noted in my initial report: loose threads, uneven seams, fraying material, and stuffing sticking through a seam have not gotten any worse thus far.

      This concludes my Field Report on the Suisse Sport K2 sleeping bag. Please check back in a couple of months for my final test results.
      Thanks to Exxel Outdoors and BackpackGearTest for allowing me to participate in this test.