LTR - CLIF - Kit's Organic Bars - Mike Pearl

  • Mike Pearl
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2012
      Hi Chari,My report to end a tasty test.  Thank you for your edits.Mike
      http://tinyurl.com/akfu29n
      LONG-TERM REPORT  LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS Storrs Pond Recreation Area, New Hampshire - 8 mi (13 km) to 400 ft (122 m), 83 F (28 C) clear and calm
      Balch Hill, New Hampshire - 2.5 mi (4 km) to 950 ft (290 m), 85 F (29 C) and sunny
      The Pemi Loop, Pemiwagesset Wilderness, New Hampshire four days, three nights32.5 mi (52 km) loop to 5249 ft (1600 m) with a culmunative gain of 9760 ft (2975 m).  Temperatures a low of 40 F (4 C) and a high of 80 F (27 C).  Mostly sunny with light winds on the exposed peaks and one major downpour.
      Giles Mountain, Vermont - 3 mi (4.8 km) to 1873 ft (571 m), 76 F (24 C) and cloudy
      Trail Maintenance Appalacian Trail, Vermont - 2.2 mi (3.5 km) to 1295 ft (395 m) cloudy intermittent light rain
      Velvet Rocks, New Hampshire - 5.2 mi (8 km) to 1243 ft (379 m) on the Appalacian Trail, 66 F (19 C) mostly sunny
      Camels Hump, Vermont - 18 mi (29 km) to 4081 ft (1244 m) with 3963 ft (1208 m) gained in 5.1 mi (8 m), 60 F (15.5 C) mostly cloudy with a few breaks of sunshine PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD Over the last three months I have consumed all 24 bars I received.  Not once, during this time did I not look forward to tearing open the wrapper.  On shorter day hikes the Kit Bars were a tasty almost treat like snack.  I ate one at the summit of each hike.  On a short but hard day of trail maintenance I gobbled two down back to back at the end of the hike. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Pemi Loop Rock Recliner">>On the overnight hike, with bigger miles and climbs the Kit Bars felt more like fuel.  They were still very tasty but much more satisfying and energizing.  On the Pemi Loop days two and three were long and hard.  My body was craving and needed frequent and quality calories.  I ate every two to three hours if I was hungry or
      not.  The Kit Bars hit the spot each time.  Even when I was not hungry I found the texture and flavor appealing and the bar very easy to eat.  My energy levels stayed constant without any hints of bonking out.
      This test series came to an end for me hiking Camels Hump where I ate my last Kit Bars.  Here too I used the every few hours snack break plan.  Again the Kit Bars helped to keep me chugging along.  I was able to hike all day without my stomach growling.  Nor without having fantasies on the trail of food awaiting me back in town.
      The Kit Bars always came out of the wrapper in one piece no matter how tightly jammed into my pack.  They were never crumbling or squished to the wrapper.  The texture and consistency were always the same at all temperatures experienced.

       SUMMARY Well the Kit Bars are gone.  All that remains are delicious memories with great views.  While I never put a bar back in my pack that I blindly grabbed, I do have my favorites.  The order changed a bit, the number one spot goes to Chocolate Almond Coconut.  Peanut Butter stays in the number two spot.  Cashew advances to the number three spot.  While Berry Almond slides to number four.
      I sometimes find trail food tricky.  When planning I want convenient, know I need nutritious, and like food to taste good.  Further complicating things I try to minimize my consumption of over processed, preservative filled foods.  On the trail I want foods that fills me up and energy that last.  The Kit Bars have met all of these requirements.  Beside just tasting good I also like them in principle for using organic whole ingredients.
      Kit Bars will definitely be a part of my future backpack meal planning.  I will keep an eye out for them at my local stores.<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Munchin' on Mt Lafayette">>This concludes my Long-Term Report and a tasty test series.  A big thank you to CLIF Bar & Company and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test Kit's Organic Bars.

         This report was created with the BGT Report Generator.Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.