LTR: tasc Performance Bamboo and Merino - Christensen

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2012
      Larry, et al:

      Here is my Long-Term report on the tasc Performance Bamboo + Merino Performance Base Layer SS Shirt Level A.   I must have forgotten this was only a two-report test and therefore submitted an FR a bit ago, for which you provided comments.  I incorporated one of the comments.  I chose to leave the info about the Kelly Canyon Nordic Area, as it is different area in the canyon and a higher elevation than where we were rappelling.  I also revised as appropriate since this is the Long-Term report.

      The html version is available for your rveiw via this link:  http://snipurl.com/25hfkkr The text version is included below for your review as well.

      LONG TERM REPORT
      November 2, 2012

      Likes
          soft next to my skin
          lightweight material
          stretchy material
          utilized two renewable resources with odor fighting properties: bamboo and wool
          maintains shape and color very well
          does not retain malodorous smells

      Dislikes
          None

      Field Locations and Test Conditions:

      I wore the shirt several different days while mowing the lawn, doing other yard and miscellaneous work, and kicking about.

      In July, I wore the shirt while helping a youth group rappel at Heise Rock in Kelly Canyon, which is located 26 miles (42 km) northeast of Idaho Falls, in the Targhee National Forest. The area of Kelly Canyon where we were rappelling sits at an elevation of approximately 5,300 ft (1,600 m).

      In August, I wore the shirt a three consecutive days during our BSA Varsity Scout/Venturing High Adventure to Bear Lake which straddles the Idaho/Utah border. There was a significant rainstorm our first afternoon.

      I wore the shirt on an overnight backpack trip in Island Park, located between Ashton, Idaho and West Yellowstone, Montana. Island Parks is approximately 6,500 ft (2,000 m) above sea level.

      I wore the shirt on an overnight backpack trip to the Menan Buttes, located approximately 38 mi (61 km) northeast of Idaho Falls. The North Menan Butte is designated as a National Natural Landmark.

      In September, I wore the shirt on another overnight trip in Island Park and on an overnight backpacking trip in the Kelly Canyon Nordic Area, which is located 26 miles (42 km) northeast of Idaho Falls, in the Targhee National Forest. The Nordic Area starts at an elevation of approximately 5,900 ft (1,798 m) and reaches elevations of 6,700 ft (2,042 m).

      Observations:

      The shirt has performed well for me. On the outing listed above, the T-shirt was my primary layer. I really like how the soft fabric feels next to my skin. I sweat a lot. Two of the best things thus far with this shirt are how quickly it dries and the fact that after wearing it several days in a row, it really did not have a malodorous smell. Both the quick drying and odor resistance have been quite valuable during the hot dry summer and early fall we have had this year.

      For me, the fit is a little snug. This is the result of me testing an XL, when according to tasc's sizing guide, I should wear an XXL. tasc did not have XXL available at the time this test series began. Although the fit is snugger that I would like, it has not restricted my movements in any way. I simply prefer a looser-fit.

      Even thought the shirt did not stink, I have laundered it six times to date. The shirt maintains its size, shape, and color. There are no visible signs of distress, such as loose seams or fraying threads or material. Thus far, the shirt has held up quite well.

      With temperatures dropping rapidly, I look forward to wearing the shirt as a base layer under heavier layers on my late fall backpacking trips and snowshoe and cross-country ski outings once there is enough snow on the ground. This is the first tasc product that I have worn. I have decided to try other tasc products based on my experience with the Bamboo+Merino Performance Base Layer SS Shirt Level A.

      This concludes my test series on the tasc Performance Bamboo+Merino Base System Level A crew neck T-shirt.

      Thanks to tasc Performance and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test this performance T-shirt.

      Ryan